The Mary Rose

I have a couple of the Mary Rose reference books, but here's something I never noticed before seeing these AR pictures blown up and maybe you can answer without me having to pore over the books. On both the MR and HGAD there are what look like shields at the rear of all the first fighting tops. Has your research indicated what they might be, are they archer blinds (that's what they look like to me in the Geoff Hunt pictures now that I've noticed them), and do you plan to include them in your build?
I think the shield served two purposes, one being protection, but perhaps more important is that many shields are brightly coloured and added to the overall decoration of the ships of that period. The idea of this decoration was to visibly project the King's majesty, wealth and power. I think if Henry chose to portray your arms on his ship you were in favour, if not you had better buck your ideas up. The Tudor court is notorious for the scheming, in-fighting and back-biting which went on; it was very toxic and not a good place to be.

I did play around with scaling some shields when I was doing the transfers for the bulwarks -
20201202_154546.jpg

and will certainly do something later in the build. A good source of information is the Parliamentary Rolls website which is worth a browse.
I will not, however, be using the arms of Jan Van Abbenbroek of the Netherlands and his most glorious underpants -

20201202_163105.jpg

Or maybe I will!

I think the shield served two purposes, one being protection, but perhaps more important is that many shields are brightly coloured and added to the overall decoration of the ships of that period. The idea of this decoration was to visibly project the King's majesty, wealth and power. I think if Henry chose to portray your arms on his ship you were in favour, if not you had better buck your ideas up. The Tudor court is notorious for the scheming, in-fighting and back-biting which went on; it was very toxic and not a good place to be.

I did play around with scaling some shields when I was doing the transfers for the bulwarks -
View attachment 196611

and will certainly do something later in the build. A good source of information is the Parliamentary Rolls website which is worth a browse.
I will not, however, be using the arms of Jan Van Abbenbroek of the Netherlands and his most glorious underpants -

View attachment 196612

Or maybe I will!
OMG you have to use these!!! That is one of the best coat of arms I've ever seen. ROTF

Finishing up a couple of other projects before Christmas. I got my son a wooden clock kit earlier in the year and he did a great job putting it together - he calls it his Corona Clock. I have just finished the base (oak) and case to really show it off. It is a good kit, excellent instructions and the laser cutting is the best I have seen. Keep well.

20201221_123702.jpg

20201221_114238.jpg

Finishing up a couple of other projects before Christmas. I got my son a wooden clock kit earlier in the year and he did a great job putting it together - he calls it his Corona Clock. I have just finished the base (oak) and case to really show it off. It is a good kit, excellent instructions and the laser cutting is the best I have seen. Keep well.

View attachment 200426

View attachment 200427We have collected a number of mechanical clocks, both weight and spring driven, and some open skeleton types as this. Wood clocks are generally not very accurate but I hope that you can have some fun finding out how accurate it is sitting in it's acrylic case. I don't see any weights so it must be spring driven. . . ??? It should have been fun to assemble. Nice job. Rich (PT-2)
It

View attachment 200426

View attachment 200427
Hallo Graham,
What a coincidence, I bought now the Tyrnoasaurus and a ball path from the same manufacturer for my little daughter.
She wants to help me every time on my Le Coureur, so I hope she will make parallel such a kit....... this is my plan

Hallo Graham,
What a coincidence, I bought now the Tyrnoasaurus and a ball path from the same manufacturer for my little daughter.
She wants to help me every time on my Le Coureur, so I hope she will make parallel such a kit....... this is my plan
I have 5 grandchildren and you all have me wondering when they will start asking Gramps to make them things as well. :D

Hallo Graham,
That's great. My granddaughter likes helping me in my little woodshop and she particularly likes planing wood and is surprisingly good at it - she is 5! We ended up making a mask using the wood shavings as hair.
I hope you post a picture of the T Rex when it is finished. Why not let her loose on you ship build while you do the T Rex? What could possibly go wrong?! My granddaughter looks at my finished builds and although she likes them she thinks they need some sparkles (i.e. glitter) and a few unicorns. She might be right!

That's great. My granddaughter likes helping me in my little woodshop and she particularly likes planing wood and is surprisingly good at it - she is 5! We ended up making a mask using the wood shavings as hair.
I hope you post a picture of the T Rex when it is finished. Why not let her loose on you ship build while you do the T Rex? What could possibly go wrong?! My granddaughter looks at my finished builds and although she likes them she thinks they need some sparkles (i.e. glitter) and a few unicorns. She might be right!
Christmas if for children and grand-children typically are the most memorable with their openness about everything. RIch

Last gift project finished for Christmas. A new granddaughter arrived earlier in the year and I wanted to make a memories box for her Mum. I managed to pick up an old sewing box locally on the Internet, a bit battered but nice wood underneath there somewhere -

20201203_191039.jpg

20201203_191116.jpg

So, I stripped it, carved the lid in a Viking style with baby's name in runes, new lock fitted, base lined, a scan image on the lid and here we go -

20201224_132818.jpg

20201224_132833.jpg

Merry Christmas to you, thanks for following and I wish you a happy and peaceful New Year.

Last gift project finished for Christmas. A new granddaughter arrived earlier in the year and I wanted to make a memories box for her Mum. I managed to pick up an old sewing box locally on the Internet, a bit battered but nice wood underneath there somewhere -

View attachment 201051

View attachment 201052

So, I stripped it, carved the lid in a Viking style with baby's name in runes, new lock fitted, base lined, a scan image on the lid and here we go -

View attachment 201053

View attachment 201054

Merry Christmas to you, thanks for following and I wish you a happy and peaceful New Year.
That is a very nice rebirth of the box for a new year and all of the years to follow. Celtic knots in the cover corners add a nice touch and I know that the Nordic peoples employed that type of decoration in many ways. A memorable Christmas gift from you and a Merry Christmas and years forward to you. Rich (PT-2)

Looking back on this log it is over two years since I touched this ship. I lost my mojo during covid (although I never caught it) and did a lot of work on other projects. Time to get back on with it now that I am I in the right frame of mind. It took a little time to fire up the grey matter and establish where I left off! The deadeyes are temporarily fitted, but I need to establish the line of the shrouds before I fit the chains to them, so it's time to look at the masts. Dry fit before staining and aligning....20230122_150130.jpg...

Graham, my friend, I am so glad to see you are back - and more importantly that you are continuing with the Mary Rose. I am really looking forward to seeing how you bring her to a conclusion.

Back