USS BONHOMME RICHARD - POF - Cross Section in Pear - 1:48 - by Uwe

I'm done reading this build log too, some 100 more to go ROTF

The kit and wood quality looks really good and You're doing a great job turning it into a real nice model!! Respect.
Have to remember to install the bolts in the knees before glueing them, thanks for showing that. I'm sure I would not have thought of that

Too bad there isn't some sort of a liquid solvent that can be applied to the wood which would remove the burn stain without harming the wood--that way none of the wood would have to be removed by sanding off the burn stain.

Andy from Kenosha

hello Uwe

i can't find sensible words when i look at your construction report and the pictures. a fantastic work This is not eye wiping, no this is sincere respect for your craftsmanship. Simply world class! I have read the report 100 times in the meantime. Looking at the photos over and over again. My respect for this achievement! When you look at it, you don't even dare to look at your own work :) No....just great. Thank you very much for letting us participate.

hello Uwe

i can't find sensible words when i look at your construction report and the pictures. a fantastic work This is not eye wiping, no this is sincere respect for your craftsmanship. Simply world class! I have read the report 100 times in the meantime. Looking at the photos over and over again. My respect for this achievement! When you look at it, you don't even dare to look at your own work :) No....just great. Thank you very much for letting us participate.
Hallo Charlie, I guess Karl (like my surname)
Many Many thanks for your kind words about my work - many thanks

Hi Uwe--I have the same kit. Your frames look great--Mine are only "kinda good". Keep up the good work.

Andy from Kenosha
Many Thanks for your kind words.
My Bonhomme project is onhold in moment, due to the started Le Coureur which I show in our group build.
I do not think, that your frames are only "kinda good" - I have a good camera and software, with which I can adjust a little bit here and there......

Why not starting a building log of your section model and we can discuss on your model the little bit "here and there" ;)

Thanks for that invitation. But I presently have my section model on hold as well. I'm presently working on the framing and deck planking of the Mary Rose, and, when that project is done, I'm going to frame (and probably deck plank) the HMS Victory. So I'll be busy for quite a while before getting back on the section model.

Andy

Un grand merci à tous pour vos commentaires, suggestions et aussi les likes reçus - très appréciés

Pour la préparation (et l'ajustement à sec) j'ai préparé les prochaines (et dernières) poutres - une des prochaines étapes sera également la découpe des cadres afin d'obtenir la forme finale de la coque.
Pour cela j'aurai besoin du niveau final du deck
View attachment 154984

View attachment 154985

L'env. la ligne de coupe des cadres est marquée au crayon
View attachment 154986

View attachment 154987

View attachment 154988

en plus j'ai pu faire les jeer bitts avec quatre réas en bois, montés sur un axe en laiton - maintenant je suis capable de finaliser aussi la zone autour des escaliers etc.
View attachment 154989

View attachment 154990

View attachment 154991

View attachment 154992

Merci beaucoup d'avoir visité mon journal et de votre intérêt .... à suivre .....
Mgnifique ! Félicitations

Gorgeous ! Congratulation

Last edited by a moderator:
Mgnifique ! Félicitations

Gorgeous ! Congratulation
Hallo Rene,
many thanks for your kind words about my work on the section model of the Bonhomme Richard.
It is a beautiful kit and a pleassure to work with - In some time, after I finished the Le Coureur I am working in moment, I hope to have some spare time to proceed with this model and finalize her. But in moment I like to concentrate on the actual project

I am very interested in building this kit too. I have seen it advertised several places: On eBay for $545 plus shipping, zhlmodel for $499 plus shipping and aliexpress for $308 plus shipping. All from China, of course. This is for the deluxe pearwood version with interior, barrels and carved details.

Are they all the same kit? With aliexpress charging so much less, I wondered, but the pics are all the same. With the good reviews I'm reading, especially for the pearwood, I want to be sure the quality is as reviewed here.

Thanks in advance for any information you may have! ;-)

I am very interested in building this kit too. I have seen it advertised several places: On eBay for $545 plus shipping, zhlmodel for $499 plus shipping and aliexpress for $308 plus shipping. All from China, of course. This is for the deluxe pearwood version with interior, barrels and carved details.

Are they all the same kit? With aliexpress charging so much less, I wondered, but the pics are all the same. With the good reviews I'm reading, especially for the pearwood, I want to be sure the quality is as reviewed here.

Thanks in advance for any information you may have! ;-)
Hallo @Signet and also a warm welcome here on board of our forum.
At this time I ordered my kit from ZHL - a big advantage here is a very good after-sales-service.
Me personally I never ordered until now via aliexpress, but others had very good experiences also to order there.
Did you check already the other modelers here which are or were working on this model? - maybe somebody else ordered there.
In principle the pear kit is the pear kit - important is the quality and correctness of the seller / dealer you will order at the end......if he is realy sending the pear kit.
Please be aware and check, if also the interior is included in the kit - there are offers out there, where you get "only" the main structure without interior.
Also the railing can be different - there is a laser cut original existing and a wionderfull boxwood cnc prepared one existing - so only if you know the real content of an offered kit you can compare the prices.

Here are the building logs of the section model in our forum

Thanks so much for responding, Uwe. And might I say your build of this model is incredible. I should probably read it all before ordering the kit, to see if I think I'm capable of it. One thing I do like is that the parts are a bit larger (my last build being the HMS Victory cross section), which helps these old eyes. But wood finish becomes a model in unto itself at that scale and model type.

As to making sure the model is the complete one, and of Pear, aliexpress sells the basic cherry model for $128, basic pear for $193, section plus inner details for $215 & $308. Now looking closer, while these have the inner details, it appears they do not include the carved pieces, which are sold separately for another $40.

But you make a good point about after sales service. Will aliexpress have a replacement for a broken or lost piece? Doubtful. Will ZHL, the manufacturer? Sure. They even specify they'll replace a part(s) one time within 3 months. Hopefully, they might do better than that, but at least they have the parts.

Also, some of the pics on aliexpress site show a lessor quality construction than the other sites. Guess if I'm going to spend the next year building something, I need to know I'm starting with the best quality kit I can.

I'll be starting to read this complete thread shortly, but a quick question: Are all the planks/ribs/etc. drilled with dowels installed like the picture shows? The precision is incredible! Are the wood pieces marked by chance? Methinks this model may take more tools that I have available! ;-)

As I know aliexpress is only the platform where dealers are offering their products, the same like on ebay.
So it depends really on the dealer behind the offer...... and a lot of dealer on aliexpress are reliable.

Maybe you post here the link to the offer, so we can take a look at the offer and assist you - also maybe somebody knows the dealer on aliexpress and have soem experience (positiv or negative)

All the dowels / treenails on my build are selfmade - on the kit they are not prepared, but f.e. I did not use any special tools.
With a normal modeling workshop you can make the same. For treenails (deck planking) I used a handdrill with 0,5mm drill and filled with putty - so they are "fake". The "nails" of the interior are only small dotts pressed into the wood with a scriber.

Buy this kit or f.e. the Granado section from CAF - you will enjoy the work on such a high quality kit very much - there is no comparison f.e. with the Victory section

As I know aliexpress is only the platform where dealers are offering their products, the same like on ebay.
So it depends really on the dealer behind the offer...... and a lot of dealer on aliexpress are reliable.

Maybe you post here the link to the offer, so we can take a look at the offer and assist you - also maybe somebody knows the dealer on aliexpress and have soem experience (positiv or negative)

All the dowels / treenails on my build are selfmade - on the kit they are not prepared, but f.e. I did not use any special tools.
With a normal modeling workshop you can make the same. For treenails (deck planking) I used a handdrill with 0,5mm drill and filled with putty - so they are "fake". The "nails" of the interior are only small dotts pressed into the wood with a scriber.

Buy this kit or f.e. the Granado section from CAF - you will enjoy the work on such a high quality kit very much - there is no comparison f.e. with the Victory section
The aliexpress link is here for the version with interior. As mentioned above, I thought the carved details were included, but they appear to be sold separately. Can't seem to find them now.

Funny, if you search the aliexpress web site for USS Bonhomme Richard, it doesn't come up with anything. But if you search Google and go to the web site with the link, it does.

As to kit quality, some are incredibly against the Chinese kits, but I agree that the Victory cross section was not great quality, with some parts downright wrong. I had my son make barrels, cannon, stairs, etc. on a 3D printer for better appearance. Yet some of the Chinese kits appear to have fantastic quality.

In this and many cases of multiple vendors for same model, it boils down to you get what you pay for.

I think going with know high quality vendor and kit with better customer service is worth the extra cost, as it will normally save frustration and lost time.

Hello Uwe,
stinkt das Modell vielleicht stark?
Laut Google Translator wäre das möglich.
Grüsse
Karl

UWE.JPG

Thanks so much for responding, Uwe. And might I say your build of this model is incredible. I should probably read it all before ordering the kit, to see if I think I'm capable of it. One thing I do like is that the parts are a bit larger (my last build being the HMS Victory cross section), which helps these old eyes. But wood finish becomes a model in unto itself at that scale and model type.

As to making sure the model is the complete one, and of Pear, aliexpress sells the basic cherry model for $128, basic pear for $193, section plus inner details for $215 & $308. Now looking closer, while these have the inner details, it appears they do not include the carved pieces, which are sold separately for another $40.

But you make a good point about after sales service. Will aliexpress have a replacement for a broken or lost piece? Doubtful. Will ZHL, the manufacturer? Sure. They even specify they'll replace a part(s) one time within 3 months. Hopefully, they might do better than that, but at least they have the parts.

Also, some of the pics on aliexpress site show a lessor quality construction than the other sites. Guess if I'm going to spend the next year building something, I need to know I'm starting with the best quality kit I can.

G'day I think you will find that Unicorn is the kit manufacturer, and that ZHL is one of the sellers of the kit.

Also be aware that some of what you call lesser quality construction Photo's are in fact what you get in every kit and that the other better looking builds have been kit bashed, just be careful and check everything,
Hope this helps,

Best regards John.

Last edited:
G'day I think you will find that Unicorn is the kit manufacturer, and that ZHL is one of the sellers of the kit.

Also be aware that some of what you call lesser quality construction Photo's are in fact what you get in every kit and that the other better looking builds have been kit bashed, just be careful and check everything,
Yes, Unicorn makes the kit, but they will not sell the kit overseas. And you are 100% correct about the quality of build: I see what Uwe has done here, and what the master builder who build the kit's ad photos has done, and realize mine will look nothing like that.

Fact is, as I don't have any power tools beyond a drill, belt sander and miter saw, I realize that I'd be unable to even remove the char smooth and even/square, and without that, the wood appearance will not be good, and that's really what makes this kit.

I might be just better off lusting over the SoS builds, rather than screwing up a perfectly good kit.

Yes, Unicorn makes the kit, but they will not sell the kit overseas. And you are 100% correct about the quality of build: I see what Uwe has done here, and what the master builder who build the kit's ad photos has done, and realize mine will look nothing like that.

Fact is, as I don't have any power tools beyond a drill, belt sander and miter saw, I realize that I'd be unable to even remove the char smooth and even/square, and without that, the wood appearance will not be good, and that's really what makes this kit.

I might be just better off lusting over the SoS builds, rather than screwing up a perfectly good kit.
I am 100% sure that you can clean all the laser chars without any power tools

Back