USS Constitution by Model Shipways 1:76 scale.

You have a very sharp eye :) :) :)
Indeed, I decided to deviate a little bit..... in order to be able to realize a nicer job..
The total height on the drawings = 13/16" or +- 20 mm
I added +- 3 mm so +1/8"..... so real height is +- 23mm.

It's snowing....already 6-7 inches...perfect wetter to work on the con... :)
So the companion ways.... and those who are not smart must be strong...so I looked into the website from mantua and found the perfect solution to make a nice companion way.... still two to go...

View attachment 421838

View attachment 421839

View attachment 421840

View attachment 421841

View attachment 421842

View attachment 421843

View attachment 421844

View attachment 421845
Great idea!

It's snowing....already 6-7 inches...perfect wetter to work on the con... :)
So the companion ways.... and those who are not smart must be strong...so I looked into the website from mantua and found the perfect solution to make a nice companion way.... still two to go...

View attachment 421838

View attachment 421839

View attachment 421840

View attachment 421841

View attachment 421842

View attachment 421843

View attachment 421844

View attachment 421845
Hi Marc
The snow looks good I was thinking how much I miss it then I remembered the bad parts and how cold it gets.
Your companionways came out well but I am toying with the idea of not putting them on my model.
Tony

Hello Tony,

Meanwhile 7" snow....and -4°C....

As Jim suggested, I shortened the companionway. However, I first tried it without attacking the already installed stanchions..
and fortunately because if I had cut them off the ship there was a lot of damage.... the stanchions are really strong and not easy to cut... I would have damaged everything. Consequently, I removed the arches, which I then shortened by +- 1/8"... and afterwards glued them back onto the stanchions with a lot of fiddling around...Sick

If I had to start over, I would seriously deviate from the construction plan and also install the Gun deck... Then you have open hatches and a much nicer ship. Since I installed the closed hatch, I thought it would be a good idea to install the companionways... an extra decoration and brightens up the whole thing...
The kit builder based himself on the current ship and there are things present that are not historical at all... For example, the eyebolts that I incorrectly placed on a white block... and afterwards it turned out that this is a white rope tied around the eyebolt .... for security reasons?
So remove everything, lightly sanding and new eyebolts... luckily I used little glue and it's not too bad: you can't see anything anymore...

Did you make meanwhile any progress?

Cheers,

Marc

Tony345.jpg

I'll be watching this closely. Currently building CW Morgan (my first) and have Syren and Connie on the shelf. Instructions for CWM are also NOT for beginner. Have been reading and using Syren booklet to see how things are to be done. Will build Syren next as many of the skills apply for all three. Also watching this and MSW logs for details and process. Thanks to ALL for ideas and pics to help along the way along with model group at Mariners Museum in Newport News for help. learning curve is logarithmic NOT linear. Tired USN (20), Re-tired Special Ed teacher (25). Now - just tired! Really loving this! JJ
It's a real pleasure meeting you! I'm also USN (SS) (Ret) of 24 years and a retired Social Studies teacher of 25 years. I'm thoroughly enjoying retirement, using it to build ship models. Welcome!

Bill

It's a real pleasure meeting you! I'm also USN (SS) (Ret) of 24 years and a retired Social Studies teacher of 25 years. I'm thoroughly enjoying retirement, using it to build ship models. Welcome!

Bill
Be Welcome,

It's my third Ship I'm building... And the Con is not the easiest one... I'm learning every day.... Let's stay in contact...

Maybe I can help someone or give them an idea to make the anchor wheel... On the plan there is a drawing....nothing more.
So after a long time of brainstorming I would like to share my method...
I simply cut the support out of the plan and placed it on a thin plate... and then my cutter 11.... And to be honest, it wasn't too bad... I would like your opinion...
PS still needs to add some details...

Tony360.jpg

Tony361.jpg

Tony362.jpg

Tony363.jpg

Tony365.jpg

Help needed... :)

The plan mentions "awning station"... I can't find the location neither additional info of the location on the ship... Does anyone know more about this? Tony?

View attachment 422671
Here is the definition of awning-stanchion:
One of the series of metal or wooden posts on the side of a ship above the rail supports the ridgerope to which the outer edges of the awnings are attached when they are spread to cover the decks.
1705777036521.png
1705776244902.png
1705776397271.png

Be Welcome,

It's my third Ship I'm building... And the Con is not the easiest one... I'm learning every day.... Let's stay in contact...
I have also built three ship models, HMS Victory (the old kit by Aeropiccola), HMS Prince, and HMS Bellona. As I said, retirement is GREAT!

Bill

Back