USS Constitution by Model Shipways 1:76 scale.

Hi
Time to forget the 3D Printer for a while and catch up with my progress.

IMG_20231231_173128.jpg
This is the first time I've painted a model, I experimented with some different paints and decided to use acrylic. This is how I marked the level of the copper plates.

IMG_20240109_150124.jpg
Three coats of each colour worked well.

IMG_20240109_150244.jpg
The 8 sheaths where quite time consuming but they came out OK.

IMG_20240112_110443.jpg
While painting I did some work on the gallery. This is a bit of a dilemma for me as I like the way they look but they're not correct to the ship. I've tried to alter the spacing so the bottom of the middle window is wider than the others, I couldn't make this work. This is due to the angle of the stern being to steep. A fix would be to shorten the width at the top of the windows but this makes the angle at the front of the gallery a lot sharper. I haven't decided yet but I leaning towards sticking with what I have.

IMG_20240112_110842.jpg
And one with a window fitted.

That my progress up to date time to look into copper plating.

Tony

Hi

View attachment 420913
This is the first time I've painted a model, I experimented with some different paints and decided to use acrylic. This is how I marked the level of the copper plates.

View attachment 420914

View attachment 420915

View attachment 420916
While painting I did some work on the gallery. This is a bit of a dilemma for me as I like the way they look but they're not correct to the ship. I've tried to alter the spacing so the bottom of the middle window is wider than the others, I couldn't make this work. This is due to the angle of the stern being to steep. A fix would be to shorten the width at the top of the windows but this makes the angle at the front of the gallery a lot sharper. I haven't decided yet but I leaning towards sticking with what I have.

View attachment 420917

Tony

Hi

View attachment 420913

View attachment 420914

View attachment 420915

View attachment 420916

View attachment 420917

Tony
Tony!

You did it again!!!!!
How on earth did you get that Quarter gallery so perfect?
With your 3D printer?

I'm jealous :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Dear Tony,

I have a question for you!

I'm still working on the rigging of the guns.
I installed the breech lines and one gun tackle (each gun has 2 of them).
As you can see in the photo I would actually add a 3rd and 4th to wire the open eyebolts. But, is this recommended as I fear I will have an abundance of wires per gun....
What would / are you going to do?

PS
very nicely painted... perfect... and also very clever that you have now installed the sheaves in the hull before finishing further details... I followed the plans and only plan 4 are the sheaves discussed... .better at your stage!

Tony322.jpg

Tony323.jpg

Tony235.jpg

Hi

View attachment 420913

View attachment 420914

View attachment 420915

View attachment 420916

View attachment 420917

Tony

I don't know why my last post repeated, when I first tried sending it a message was displayed server error try again later. I tried again last night the same message was displayed and again this morning when it posted OK. Now there's multiple post, can an they be removed?

Dear Tony,

I have a question for you!

I'm still working on the rigging of the guns.
I installed the breech lines and one gun tackle (each gun has 2 of them).
As you can see in the photo I would actually add a 3rd and 4th to wire the open eyebolts. But, is this recommended as I fear I will have an abundance of wires per gun....
What would / are you going to do?

PS
very nicely painted... perfect... and also very clever that you have now installed the sheaves in the hull before finishing further details... I followed the plans and only plan 4 are the sheaves discussed... .better at your stage!

View attachment 421053

View attachment 421054

View attachment 421056
Hi Marc
Before I answer your question have a look at my last model and tell me what's wrong with the cannons?
IMG_20240114_073419.jpg

Tony

Hi Marc
Before I answer your question have a look at my last model and tell me what's wrong with the cannons?
View attachment 421083

Tony
Tony, nothing wrong!
The only thing I see is that you did not use SB & D blocks..... Doing so you have a very clean solution but nevertheless rigged the guns...clever.

So if I understand your suggestion right, continue without the blocks: fine for me... Is this right?

Tony, nothing wrong!
The only thing I see is that you did not use SB & D blocks..... Doing so you have a very clean solution but nevertheless rigged the guns...clever.

So if I understand your suggestion right, continue without the blocks: fine for me... Is this right?
Hi Marc your right. Try without the blocks or use smaller ones but use the method your happiest with.
There's photos of the cannons fully rigged and partly rigged so you could leave one set off for a cleaner look.
a-cannon-on-the-deck-of-the-uss-constitution_medium.jpg
const5.jpg

One of the biggest problems with rigging the cannons is the blocks and fittings need to be very small. Both hard to find and time consuming.
While making my Unicorn I had a lot of trouble getting the guns to look right. I used the smallest blocks I could find but with the eyebolts hooks and blocks there wasn't much rope showing. I saw this method on another log and until I read about it and went back to look at the photos hadn't noticed there were no blocks. On my Unicorn log only one person commented on the way I rigged the cannons.
With my Constitution I will try a few methods and see what looks best once the cannons are made up.

Tony

Hi Marc your right. Try without the blocks or use smaller ones but use the method your happiest with.
There's photos of the cannons fully rigged and partly rigged so you could leave one set off for a cleaner look.
View attachment 421237
View attachment 421238

One of the biggest problems with rigging the cannons is the blocks and fittings need to be very small. Both hard to find and time consuming.
While making my Unicorn I had a lot of trouble getting the guns to look right. I used the smallest blocks I could find but with the eyebolts hooks and blocks there wasn't much rope showing. I saw this method on another log and until I read about it and went back to look at the photos hadn't noticed there were no blocks. On my Unicorn log only one person commented on the way I rigged the cannons.
With my Constitution I will try a few methods and see what looks best once the cannons are made up.

Tony
OK But I will follow your idea and finish the rigging without blocks....
PS
I used the blocks delivered with the kit; smaller doesn't exist....and very difficult to work with eg have a nice rigging....

A very fun (annoying) one is making the fife rails. More specifically, the sheaves in the bottom blocks: in a 5/32" block, 3 sheaves should be provided. Give it a try. I tried everything: drilling and grinding holes, milling, etc. until I finally simply tried with my cutter to carve three parallel notches and some from deep... the front one alone took me two full days... starting over and over again...; Now I don't know if anyone has a better idea because I still have to make the middle and back making...

Tony330.jpg

Tony331.jpg

Tony333.jpg

Tony334.jpg

A very fun (annoying) one is making the fife rails. More specifically, the sheaves in the bottom blocks: in a 5/32" block, 3 sheaves should be provided. Give it a try. I tried everything: drilling and grinding holes, milling, etc. until I finally simply tried with my cutter to carve three parallel notches and some from deep... the front one alone took me two full days... starting over and over again...; Now I don't know if anyone has a better idea because I still have to make the middle and back making...

View attachment 421411

View attachment 421412

View attachment 421413

View attachment 421414
Possibly saw the slots. Cut a base plate the size of the bottom of the foot and glue in place. No drilling, only sawing. I attached a crude drawing of what I tried to explain.
Fife rail example.jpg

Possibly saw the slots. Cut a base plate the size of the bottom of the foot and glue in place. No drilling, only sawing. I attached a crude drawing of what I tried to explain.
View attachment 421437
Dear Jeff,

Thank you very much for your advise.

I must admit that I had already considered that option. The reason I didn't do this until yesterday was because I need to fit the blocks into a hole in the deck (early in the project I provided square cutouts to fit the blocks exactly into place).
But you convinced me yesterday. So first make a block and then use a very fine saw to make the three slots. Then a block of 1/32" thick with a bulge. And this works much better than my previous tinkering :) :) :)

Thank you!

Photo's: first attempt......

Tony335.jpg

Tony336.jpg

Back