USS Pennsylvania (1837) Cross Section Scale: 1:64 [COMPLETED BUILD]

Orlop Floor:
The flooring was added next as shown in the following photos.

IMG_3351.jpgIMG_3352.jpgIMG_3353.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Floor Riders:
Cardboard templates were made for each of the four floor riders to ensure a good fit. Each floor rider consisted of five separate pieces bolted together and to the floor with 20 gage brass bolts. The following photos show the installation of the riders.

IMG_3355.jpgIMG_3356.jpgIMG_3357.jpgIMG_3358.jpgIMG_3359.jpgIMG_3360.jpg

Floor Riders (continued):
This is a few more photos of the floor riders.

IMG_3361.jpgIMG_3362.jpgIMG_3363.jpgIMG_3364.jpgIMG_3365.jpgIMG_3366.jpgIMG_3367.jpgIMG_3374.jpgIMG_3375.jpgIMG_3376.jpg

This is absolutely incredible. This type of building is an area that I have yet to discover. One day, I might venture into this style. Beautiful workmanship.
It is obvious that you have a lot of experience in this type of Admiralty style.
Donnie

Hi Donnie,

Thanks for your kind words. This is a great site I am a migrant from the soon to be defunct MSB site and plan to drag over some baggage from that site. I hope you don’t mind, I take a lot of pictures but will try not to clutter up this forum too much.

It looks like we could use a few more scratch builders maybe we could set up a community build for an admiralty style model, something simple like a battle station or small cross section to give the POB kit guys a taste of the dark side. I think it would need to be a totally unique to show what it takes up front before you start cutting wood.

Mike

I agree 100%. I think a community group build would be fantastic. You are not cluttering up the site. I appreciate your willingness to share and to demonstrate.
If you or when you decide to do a Group Build, let me know as I will need to set up a subforum for this.

Under the "The Shipbuilders Build Logs" section, I might add another sub forum and name it Group Build: Ship name xyz, etc

Donnie

Hi Donnie,
I did an edit on my first post showing a stubbed mast. This keeps the model from scuffling the ceiling.
Mike

Hold Platforms:
There are two long platforms just above the floor with the supports attached to the sides of the hull. This set of photos shows the platforms and supports.You can see on the plan where some of the supports were relocated to avoid the floor riders. The plans can always be changed to improve the model.

IMG_3377.jpgIMG_3378.jpgIMG_3387.jpgIMG_3388.jpg

Main Mast Step:
This is a couple of photos of the main mast step as installed.

IMG_3389.jpgIMG_3390.jpg

Well Room & Shot Locker:
The well room is a nice little project by itself, the first set of photos show the lower part of the room is a solid wall construction and the second set shows the louvered walls.

IMG_3391.jpgIMG_3392.jpgIMG_3393.jpgIMG_3394.jpgIMG_3395.jpgIMG_3396.jpgIMG_3397.jpgIMG_3398.jpgIMG_3399.jpgIMG_3400.jpgIMG_3401.jpgIMG_3402.jpgIMG_3403.jpgIMG_3404.jpgIMG_3405.jpg

Well Room & Shot Locker (continuation):
The construction of the louver walls, internal ladder and shot locker is shown in this set of photos.

IMG_3408.jpgIMG_3409.jpgIMG_3410.jpgIMG_3411.jpgIMG_3412.jpgIMG_3413.jpgIMG_3414.jpgIMG_3415.jpgIMG_3416.jpgIMG_3417.jpgIMG_3418.jpgIMG_3419.jpgIMG_3420.jpgIMG_3421.jpgIMG_3422.jpg

Well Room & Shot Locker (continuation 2):
Finishing touches of the shot locker and installation of the well assembly in the model is shown on the following photos.

IMG_3423.jpgIMG_3424.jpgIMG_3425.jpgIMG_3426.jpgIMG_3427.jpgIMG_3428.jpgIMG_3429.jpgIMG_3430.jpgIMG_3431.jpgIMG_3432.jpgIMG_3433.jpg

Thanks Mike, I am glad someone is looking at the posts.

Superb job Mike!I am a little jelous ,I don't know anything about lofting and Cad,so for me to build this I need a complete set of plan like the Bomb Vessel Grenado from Msb.

Hi Mike,
Thanks for your nice comments. I read through your Bounty log and you are doing a respectable job on her. She will be a fine model and the grandkids will be very impressed. Keep up the good work.
Mike

Hi Zoltan,

It is funny you mentioned the Grenado I built the proto-type while Jeff was drawing the plans. That was the first project we worked on together it was a lot of fun and moderately successful.

There are several inexpensive 2D Cad programs that will do everything you need to loft plans. I use AutoCAD but it is kind of pricy for hobby work. Most Cad programs are not too difficult to learn. There is a lot of information about lofting plans on the web some is good, some is questionable. It would be worth your time to consider some of that stuff.

Mike

I wish I could do something like this. Just incredible.

Donnie

Hi Donnie,
Thanks, this cross section is a lot of fun to build, with a lot on nice details.
Mike

Back