Vasa - 1:65 DeAgostini [COMPLETED BUILD]

This was a really ingenious solution to the mouse problem; I'ma store that one away in the memory files!
Thanks Marc. I suppose one advantage of not knowing how something is 'supposed' to be done is that I'm freed to find unconventional solutions that work for me. I also suspect, more times than not, I make things harder for myself than necessary. Sigh...

Hi Paul and Sasha
I don't understand what "caged" mean when speaking about section of the stay
THanks for explaination
Yes Gilbert, Sasha means the serving needs to be extended. It is Google Translate, which might need to take russian\english navy specific words lessons :p

Hi Paul,

I see that you are making beautiful ropes ThumbsupThumbsup
Congratulations
Great job!
Together with beautiful blocks Thumbsup

However, I have one doubt.
Forestay blocks...
Are you using some reference photo/plan for that?

Stay has triple block, but bowsprit block inside the strop is only double...
I will be honest... but never seen this kind of solution. Quite unusual.

I think you should go either for triple blocks (like you can see on my model) or with stay as below (similar to deadeye)

Screenshot_20220122-143835_Gallery.jpg

Cheers,
Matt

Hi Paul,

I see that you are making beautiful ropes ThumbsupThumbsup
Congratulations
Great job!
Together with beautiful blocks Thumbsup

However, I have one doubt.
Forestay blocks...
Are you using some reference photo/plan for that?

Stay has triple block, but bowsprit block inside the strop is only double...
I will be honest... but never seen this kind of solution. Quite unusual.

I think you should go either for triple blocks (like you can see on my model) or with stay as below (similar to deadeye)

Cheers,
Matt
Hello Matt,

Thanks much for checking in. In thinking this all through some more I'm now wondering...

First, here is a post by Fred Hocker on the warshipvasa forum:
The lower deadeye in the pair has four holes, the upper six. Both deadeyes survive for the forestay, but only the six-hole deadeye for the mainstay. The lanyard is rigged with one end tied off to the lower deadeye collar, then led to the upper deadeye, then the lower, and so one. The last turn goes through the sixth hole in the upper deadeye, and the end is made fast back on the collar of the lower deadeye. This was a common setup.

He then posts the following image and describes the routing of the lanyards using the landmarks identified on the image (I followed his instruction precisely):

Mainstay recon.jpg

So, if he is correct (and I have to assume as much) then the 6 --> 4 thing is correct but perhaps I need to modify the shape of my blocks to make them look more like rectangular deadeyes? Would the difference be discernible? Or am I missing the point entirely?

Hi Paul,

If I was you... I will do deadeyes, like Fred Hocker suggest or similar to example I gave you. It will be more accurate solution.
Currently you have regular blocks... which are beautiful blocks from Dry Dock... but I would really consider change and make deadeyes :)

Also, while you will be destroying your work when changing blocks to deadeyes ROTF you can serve piece of rope and do proper stropping for lower deadeye, which sits on bowsprit :p

I guess I will be always this guy in forum who comes and spoil the fun by trying to convince others to change things already made ROTFROTF
@Steef66 will know how grouchy I am ROTF

BTW... which thread you are using for ropes? Are you using bitumen for colouring? Ropes looks really good ;)

Cheers,
Matt

Hi Paul,

If I was you... I will do deadeyes, like Fred Hocker suggest or similar to example I gave you. It will be more accurate solution.
Currently you have regular blocks... which are beautiful blocks from Dry Dock... but I would really consider change and make deadeyes :)

Also, while you will be destroying your work when changing blocks to deadeyes ROTF you can serve piece of rope and do proper stropping for lower deadeye, which sits on bowsprit :p

I guess I will be always this guy in forum who comes and spoil the fun by trying to convince others to change things already made ROTFROTF
@Steef66 will know how grouchy I am ROTF

BTW... which thread you are using for ropes? Are you using bitumen for colouring? Ropes looks really good ;)

Cheers,
Matt
Well, coming from the master of making ropes and rigging, that is a compliment I wasn't expecting (or deserving)!

I have made quite a bit of rope thus far:

IMG_7418.JPG

Most of what you see began as Gutermann Skala 240 or Guterman E121 (though some are from Gutermann Mara in larger sizes).

And yes, I am tinting my ropes according to my interpretation of your technique. I use bitumen but rarely full strength. Even on the standing rigging I am cutting the bitumen in turpentine just a bit so all I need to do is wipe off the excess. If I miss the mark (too dark) then I wipe down the rope with mineral spirits (well, I guess I do that a little bit even when I get the color right just to create some contrast in the spiraling of the rope).

It's more art than science at this point - but I'm getting better.

Let me re-ask a question I posted earlier. Are you suggesting every stropped block should be served or just the larger ones? That's a lot of blocks on a three masted ship at 1:64!

I wasn't expecting (or deserving)!
Mon Amie, you gotta stop blaming or unrecognized yourself! Yes, that time passed! Just proudly say, yea that's ME, myself! If you will not say this, your work will say it for you. You still learn though, in fact, we all do, but there is something we already can learn directly from your work. :cool:

Paul... you are underestimating you skills :)
You are building really beautiful model and you are not taking any shortcuts in this process... so well deserved congrats!

In regards to block strops.
No, I don't think you should serve all of them. Yes... I would serve most of them... especially bigger ones or blocks used for side tackles or any other tackles, etc to be subject for heavy use (wear and tear) on real ship.
It will be difficult to give clear guidance, which one needs serving or no serving.
If it help please have a look at my model. I served majority of blocks... only smallest are without.
However, for my next build I'll need to improve my rigging a bit here and there... as I'm not 100% happy with some parts... and because of that I will have to review all blocks and decide, which ones need serving :p

Back