Vasa - 1:65 DeAgostini [COMPLETED BUILD]

Here is English comes handy again, Kurt says exactly what I mean, couldn't be asked for better. Alright, enough off-topic, sorry, I go study English.

Mon Amie, you gotta stop blaming or unrecognized yourself! Yes, that time passed! Just proudly say, yea that's ME, myself! If you will not say this, your work will say it for you. You still learn though, in fact, we all do, but there is something we already can learn directly from your work. :cool:

Snap out of it, Paul. Be honest and admit you do excellent work. Please stop berating yourself. You're driving me nuts. Anyone who does the homework and "builds it right" will be looked at with admiration by those who are learning the same steps.
Gotta disagree with you here men. If there was ever a time for humility it is when discussing rigging with Matt.

Please don't allow my gentle approach to this hobby offend you. I have been arrogant enough in my life and offended and hurt people along the way - this place will not be that place. As you say, I will let my work speak for itself as I always have - but I will not speak for it. If someone finds something admirable in it - then I can only remind them that I am created in the image of One who is greater than me and he gifts as he will. If that's too creepy, well...I understand. Love you both (really!).

Last edited:
Gotta disagree with you here men. If there was ever a time for humility it is when discussing rigging with Matt.

Please don't allow my gentle approach to this hobby offend you. I have been arrogant enough in my life and offended and hurt people along the way - this place will not be that place. As you say, I will let my work speak for itself as I always have - but I will not speak for it. If someone finds something admirable in it - then I can only remind them that I am created in the image of One who is greater than me and he gifts as he will. If that's too creepy, well...I understand. Love you both (really!).
You are NOT arrogant, Paul. Quite the opposite. All of us cause trouble for others on occasion. It's called being human. I know I speak for others when I say we genuinely admire your work and have heard self deprecation from you, and a bit much of that considering how neat your work is, and more so how well you research each and every step before taking it. And, we want to see more. You're setting the bar, even if it is your first ship. We just don't like hearing you belittle yourself so much. Makes us cringe. Keep on being an inspiration instead.

Last edited:

You are NOT arrogant, Paul. Quite the opposite. All of us cause trouble for others on occasion. It's called being human. I know I speak for others when I say we genuinely admire your work and have heard self deprecation from you, and a bit much of that considering how neat your work is, and more so how well you research each and every step before taking it. And, we want to see more. You're setting the bar, even if it is your first ship. We just don't like hearing you belittle yourself so much. Makes us cringe. Keep on being an inspiration instead.
As they say: Walk softly and glue some big sticks!

Oh and don't let Matt's help with the rigging freak you out. You're on your first ship. Take each line as a research topic, check your sources and other's build logs, choose what seems to be the most correct way to run the line, and rig. You and I both have chosen models that have little to no solid sources on rigging, so be ready to take your best guess and go with it. A well researched educated guess is far better than a wild guess. And be prepared to learn that one or two of your guesses was not the best after you discover a new research source provides information that was not available earlier. That happens all the time when building. You just live with it. That's part of the experience. Lucky you for choosing a ship that still exists. I don't have that luxury (however, I do think the Sovereign is sexier! :p)

Oh and don't let Matt's help with the rigging freak you out. You're on your first ship. Take each line as a research topic, check your sources and other's build logs, choose what seems to be the most correct way to run the line, and rig. You and I both have chosen models that have little to no solid sources on rigging, so be ready to take your best guess and go with it. A well researched educated guess is far better than a wild guess. And be prepared to learn that one or two of your guesses was not the best after you discover a new research source provides information that was not available earlier. That happens all the time when building. You just live with it. That's part of the experience. Lucky you for choosing a ship that still exists. I don't have that luxury (however, I do think the Sovereign is sexier! :p)
Sexier? I have naked people - you have bling.

That's why you should use the Andrey method. 2 metal pins to keep the distance equal between the deadeyes. I made this mistake to but since I use that method it never happened again. :) did I tell you that your rope looks superb?

Last edited:
That's why yoy should use the Andrey method. 2 metal prins to keep the distance equal between the deadeyes. I made this mistake to but since I use that method it never happened again. :) did I tell you that your rope looks superb?
Thanks for the kind review of the ropes! SO MUCH PRACTICE!

I did try using a spacer but then the upper deadeyes started running downhill to the stern because the angle of the shroud was increasing. Of course, this means my upper deadeyes will not be in a perfect level line but I'm trying to get them as close as I can. Will post images when I get far enough... Maybe perfectly level was not even a thing in the real world?

I think they should only be in line, that they go down with a greater angle should be no problem. Looking to old paintings I can't tell if this is wrong. I think it is more important that the distance between the lower deadeye and upper deadeye is the same.

I think they should only be in line, that they go down with a greater angle should be no problem. Looking to old paintings I can't tell if this is wrong. I think it is more important that the distance between the lower deadeye and upper deadeye is the same.
I think you'll find that the distance between deadeyes does increase a small amount, resulting in the upper deadeyes being in a horizontal line with respect to each other. Wolfram zu Mondfeld states that the upper deadeyes should be in a horizontal line, parallel with the channels. Here is what he wrote:

Welcome to Shroud School
1643501845612.png
1643501952028.png

The idea of creating a fixture with a piece of wood and two pins works to a certain extent. I found it challenging to keep the chainplates all at the same tension. The result was that there was not a straight imaginary horizontal line between the upper deadeyes. I am going to assume that I know what I am doing and that the problem is not with the builder(lol) but more with the way the chainplate fastens to the hull. Maybe the next time I will glue the lower deadeyes to the channels. Ok so my assumption is false; ie I don't know what the heck I am doing but perhaps there is still some merit in gluing the lower deadeyes to the channels.

The idea of creating a fixture with a piece of wood and two pins works to a certain extent. I found it challenging to keep the chainplates all at the same tension. The result was that there was not a straight imaginary horizontal line between the upper deadeyes. I am going to assume that I know what I am doing and that the problem is not with the builder(lol) but more with the way the chainplate fastens to the hull. Maybe the next time I will glue the lower deadeyes to the channels. Ok so my assumption is false; ie I don't know what the heck I am doing but perhaps there is still some merit in gluing the lower deadeyes to the channels.
I happen to agree with you Capt. Jack. I did not appreciate how important it was to make sure the chain plates all related to the channel precisely. While I don't like to think of my 2–3-year project as a practice ship - I confess that I am learning more from my mistakes than from the things I do well.

Back