Vasa - 1:65 DeAgostini [COMPLETED BUILD]

You know how you set out to build something and you have this wonderful image in your mind of how it will all turn out - but then reality sets in and you end up frustrated o_O, or angry :mad:, or stringing together profanities than would make a sailor blush Redface...

THAT DIDN'T HAPPEN TODAY!!!

Here are the stairs on the museum ship (well, at least you can get an idea of what I was shooting for:

View attachment 263959

And here is my interpretation:

View attachment 263960

View attachment 263961

View attachment 263962

View attachment 263963

Notwithstanding what macros uncover I'm super pleased with how these turned out.

There were some concessions to design (the DeAg anatomy in this area is a bit lacking) so as a result I needed to be somewhat creative in how these were configured (the most significant deviation was that I had to bring a step over to the doorway which inexplicably ended in open space...). Anyway, I believe I captured the spirit of what is seen on the mother ship.

I'm certain utter defeat is on the horizon - but today was a good day.
That's actually quite breathtaking Paul! I'm sure to have a few slips of the tongue during my attempt at the steps. I've already had a few with canon rigging. Those steps are outstanding! Way to go!

You know how you set out to build something and you have this wonderful image in your mind of how it will all turn out - but then reality sets in and you end up frustrated o_O, or angry :mad:, or stringing together profanities than would make a sailor blush Redface...

Here are the stairs on the museum ship (well, at least you can get an idea of what I was shooting for:

View attachment 263959

View attachment 263960

View attachment 263961

View attachment 263962

View attachment 263963

Notwithstanding what macros uncover I'm super pleased with how these turned out.

There were some concessions to design (the DeAg anatomy in this area is a bit lacking) so as a result I needed to be somewhat creative in how these were configured (the most significant deviation was that I had to bring a step over to the doorway which inexplicably ended in open space...). Anyway, I believe I captured the spirit of what is seen on the mother ship.

Great job Paul! I like it! ;)
Did you make templates, or go with trial and error?

Last edited:
Those steps are almost "too" beautiful for a ship - they would be more at home in a modern-art gallery!

View attachment 263959

View attachment 263960

View attachment 263961

View attachment 263962

View attachment 263963

That looks fantastisch, Paul. That is designing 3D by hand.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Thanks for the likes everyone!

That's actually quite breathtaking Paul! I'm sure to have a few slips of the tongue during my attempt at the steps. I've already had a few with canon rigging. Those steps are outstanding! Way to go!
Much appreciated Daniel. If I recall correctly Billings does a better job with this part of the ship - at least the doorway opens up to a short deck rather than open space. DeAg doesn't add stairs at all just leaving the doorway hanging there. My solution ended up a bit more cramped than I intended but once I started adding steps I needed to keep them the same distance apart.

Those stairs are MAGNIFICENT. Thumbsup

But unfortunately they still won't stop this: :D
View attachment 263982
Indeed!

Great job Paul! I like it! ;)
Did you make templates, or go with trial and error?
Thank you Dean. Yes, I just made cardstock templates. I started with the landing for the doorway since that had the most 'requirements' imposed on it and then worked down from there (and then up from there) tread by tread. Because of the landing and my interpretation of scale (my treads are about 11 inches apart) there are two more steps than there should be. Wasa purists will object but I needed to solve the doorway problem without ripping out the front of the ship and starting over. I believe you call this artistic license.

Very good work - accurate and fine workmanship !!!
I thank you kindly, Uwe!

Very.. very nice !!!
Thanks Daniel!

Those steps are almost "too" beautiful for a ship - they would be more at home in a modern-art gallery!
Yes, Heinrich, those were my very thoughts as they began to take shape. Part of the problem, as I mentioned above, was the DeAg design issue of a doorway opening up to nothing. There is certainly a 'less busy' remedy but this is where my day took me. I'm expecting these to fade into the background once they get their dose of linseed oil.

Maybe an ancestor of Van Gogh stopped by the shipyard and helped out? No lack of artists in Dutch history!

That looks fantastisch, Paul. That is designing 3D by hand.
Regards, Peter
Exactly the way it went Peter. Lots of trips back and forth between my work table and the scroll saw in the garage. And lots of sanding and filing in between!

Yes I have been aware of the lack of a cut out for the lashings for some time, just figured I would ream out a slot in the lower member. I did not realize how far the lower knee extended forward along the beak which may cause a bump out in the lashings around the knee tip?? Won't know till I get it layed out first.

Yes I have been aware of the lack of a cut out for the lashings for some time, just figured I would ream out a slot in the lower member. I did not realize how far the lower knee extended forward along the beak which may cause a bump out in the lashings around the knee tip?? Won't know till I get it layed out first.
That's actually correct Daniel - look back on the pictures posted in this log and you will see the gammoning wrapping over the tip of the knee.

Amazing! It would appear both gammoned locations go over both knee tips In the attached photo the knees are conveniently missing however it looks like I'll only have enough room to cut in a notch instead of a slot as the thickness of the knee left hardly no room. Why in the world would Billings think their drawing design would ever work in the real world, there's nothing to keep the ropes from sliding forward.

IMG_1317.jpg
Thanks for the heads up Paul.

Amazing! It would appear both gammoned locations go over both knee tips In the attached photo the knees are conveniently missing however it looks like I'll only have enough room to cut in a notch instead of a slot as the thickness of the knee left hardly no room. Why in the world would Billings think their drawing design would ever work in the real world, there's nothing to keep the ropes from sliding forward.

View attachment 264154
Thanks for the heads up Paul.
A notch sounds like a good plan Daniel. ;)

View attachment 263959

View attachment 263960

View attachment 263961

View attachment 263962

View attachment 263963

Beautiful work, you understate your skills a lot on working through a problem and executing it to perfection.

Beautiful work, you understate your skills a lot on working through a problem and executing it to perfection.
Thank you kindly Richie. But I don't think I'm accomplishing anything more than most everyone on this forum can do. Perhaps one difference is I don't care all that much how long stuff takes (well, that's not entirely true, but I think you get my point). Working on the ship is the part I enjoy (along with puzzling out how to do things). I'm certainly not in a hurry to wrap this one up and get on to the next build. Perhaps that approach allows me some freedom to linger (and redo) as needed. My whole life I have been driven by the destination - it's nice to find something where I can just enjoy the journey.

Whew! That's a lot of deep thinking for this early in the day!

By the way, folks who value reproducing what is on the real ship DESPISE the steps I just added. But I have never aimed toward reproduction or replication - just representation. As I have mentioned in the past, I know what it means to be an expert at something - this just isn't my thing. But this hobby is one I wish I would have embraced years ago - and this forum is a delightful place to share it with others.

Last edited:
Thank you kindly Richie. But I don't think I'm accomplishing anything more than most everyone on this forum can do. Perhaps one difference is I don't care all that much how long stuff takes (well, that's not entirely true, but I think you get my point). Working on the ship is the part I enjoy (along with puzzling out how to do things). I'm certainly not in a hurry to wrap this one up and get on to the next build. Perhaps that approach allows me some freedom to linger (and redo) as needed. My whole life I have been driven by the destination - it's nice to find something where I can just enjoy the journey.

By the way, folks who value reproducing what is on the real ship DESPISE the steps I just added. But I have never aimed toward reproduction or replication - just representation. As I have mentioned in the past, I know what it means to be an expert at something - this just isn't my thing. But this hobby is one I wish I would have embraced years ago - and this forum is a delightful place to share it with others.
Paul, I feel exactly the same way (later in the day). You couldn't have said it better. :)
Just figuring out and puzzling for solutions gives a lot of satisfaction. And then the building still has to take place.
regards, Peter

Machiavelli once Said that the end justifies the means. In my life, the means justify the end. The way you get there is more important than where you go. I know where I’m going. Now I need to make sure how I get there reflects my destination. I may not do what I do as well as others here, but I’m learning and growing. That’s what is important to me. Sorry for the Sophism. I’ll go back into the woodwork now.

I build for personal satisfaction, my end goal is something I will be satisfied with.
If it ever starts feeling like a job, more than a hobby, then I will take some time off.
Sharing my hobby and building techniques was new for me, but very rewarding! I have met a lot of great people from all over the world on SOS. And at the same time, with a build log, it feels like I have a sense of accountability. If I take a short cut, or have poor execution of a part of the ship, then I can’t show that and feel good about it. ;)

Back