Vasa - 1:65 DeAgostini [COMPLETED BUILD]

Very valid and beautiful comments made by everyone. There is a core of builders developing on SOS that will do the future of the hobby the world of good. Kudos to you all, your building and your way of thinking.

Thank you kindly Richie. But I don't think I'm accomplishing anything more than most everyone on this forum can do. Perhaps one difference is I don't care all that much how long stuff takes (well, that's not entirely true, but I think you get my point).
.. that's because you can't recognize the quality of your own work, Paul. There are members on this forum below your skill and level of detail. They may not be as vocal as some of us, and many are actually afraid to show their work, but they are there, and they use your ship as an example. So, if you don't stop complaining about how bad your skills are when all the photos show quite the contrary, I'm going to puke on your shoes. Sick

The fact that you are taking more time than average to work on the details is what makes your model so great. So VERY few people have that patience. You say you like the PROCESS of working on the details? Well you just nailed WHY your ship looks above average in appearance. You spend MORE TIME. For me, I am trying for accuracy within certain limits as you are, and those guys who make each and every frame of the hull and show every nail value accuracy almost to fanaticism, but that does not make your ship model any less satisfying. Each part of the model is a choice, like my choice to rig all 100 guns of the Sovereign, even though it will probably never be seen, and yet some other aspects of my model will never get that level of detail. You and everyone else here think that is over the top, and it is for most kit based POB models. Everyone on this forum (except you) can agree that your model is far above average in detail and accuracy, and it is because you put the time in, not because you have magic hands or super-tools. In fabrication, You can do A LOT with A LITTLE.

.. that's because you can't recognize the quality of your own work, Paul. There are members on this forum below your skill and level of detail. They may not be as vocal as some of us, and many are actually afraid to show their work, but they are there, and they use your ship as an example. So, if you don't stop complaining about how bad your skills are when all the photos show quite the contrary, I'm going to puke on your shoes. Sick

The fact that you are taking more time than average to work on the details is what makes your model so great. So VERY few people have that patience. You say you like the PROCESS of working on the details? Well you just nailed WHY your ship looks above average in appearance. You spend MORE TIME. For me, I am trying for accuracy within certain limits as you are, and those guys who make each and every frame of the hull and show every nail value accuracy almost to fanaticism, but that does not make your ship model any less satisfying. Each part of the model is a choice, like my choice to rig all 100 guns of the Sovereign, even though it will probably never be seen, and yet some other aspects of my model will never get that level of detail. You and everyone else here think that is over the top, and it is for most kit based POB models. Everyone on this forum (except you) can agree that your model is far above average in detail and accuracy, and it is because you put the time in, not because you have magic hands or super-tools. In fabrication, You can do A LOT with A LITTLE.
Never had anyone puke on my shoes before ROTF!

Howz’bout twice in an evening?

I’ve gotta back Kurt on this one. It’s perfectly okay to be really good at something that you are relatively new to. It is more than enough to recognize that there are always talents that are further along than your own, but not to the point of undermining what you are doing. Kurt is 100% right. Your work is good (really good) because you put the time in - AND - you are more than willing to throw stuff in the garbage when it isn’t up to par.

I have always thought that talent, in the craft of making anything, had more to do with the ability to plan a process and see the pitfalls, in advance. Experience boosts talent in the same way that life and learning boost IQ. Natural dexterities are important, but skills are achievable. The other important factor for success is scrutiny of other really good work. You are doing all of these things, all in good time.

I believe in humility - there are always going to be other makers to aspire to (always a good thing), but I do not believe in undermining real innate talent and ability. You are good because of all these things. Accept it, DAMMIT ;)

Thank you kindly Richie. But I don't think I'm accomplishing anything more than most everyone on this forum can do. Perhaps one difference is I don't care all that much how long stuff takes (well, that's not entirely true, but I think you get my point). Working on the ship is the part I enjoy (along with puzzling out how to do things). I'm certainly not in a hurry to wrap this one up and get on to the next build. Perhaps that approach allows me some freedom to linger (and redo) as needed. My whole life I have been driven by the destination - it's nice to find something where I can just enjoy the journey.

Whew! That's a lot of deep thinking for this early in the day!

By the way, folks who value reproducing what is on the real ship DESPISE the steps I just added. But I have never aimed toward reproduction or replication - just representation. As I have mentioned in the past, I know what it means to be an expert at something - this just isn't my thing. But this hobby is one I wish I would have embraced years ago - and this forum is a delightful place to share it with others.
From the discussion here I think you have now been told the truth so please accept it.
Whenever you finish your model it will be a stunning piece of work and I am sure will get many compliments by all who see her and you do deserve all the admiration.
You are producing such a high standard of work it is something I can only aspire too and probably won't reach no matter how much I practice.

Howz’bout twice in an evening?

I’ve gotta back Kurt on this one. It’s perfectly okay to be really good at something that you are relatively new to. It is more than enough to recognize that there are always talents that are further along than your own, but not to the point of undermining what you are doing. Kurt is 100% right. Your work is good (really good) because you put the time in - AND - you are more than willing to throw stuff in the garbage when it isn’t up to par.

I have always thought that talent, in the craft of making anything, had more to do with the ability to plan a process and see the pitfalls, in advance. Experience boosts talent in the same way that life and learning boost IQ. Natural dexterities are important, but skills are achievable. The other important factor for success is scrutiny of other really good work. You are doing all of these things, all in good time.

I believe in humility - there are always going to be other makers to aspire to (always a good thing), but I do not believe in undermining real innate talent and ability. You are good because of all these things. Accept it, DAMMIT ;)

Like ship builders on SoS there are multiple Kurt’s as well.

Which one of us were you talking about?

I fall into the less experienced who don’t always show what I have done if I don’t thinks it’s up to standards

Kurt K

Hey Paul! I think your signature statement 'The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."' says it all. You are simply exercising the gifts the Lord has given you and encouraging others ( "I don't think I'm accomplishing anything more than most everyone on this forum can do.") to do the same.

OK guys...that's enough puking on my shoes. I do appreciate your kind and generous words.

I used to do some lecturing in my profession and one of my most popular and requested programs was entitled: Orthodontic Failures where I showed 3 hours of things I had messed up and then one case at the end with a breathtaking result. My point was to help my colleagues avoid repeating my mistakes - and then proffer that the successful treatment of a seemingly impossible case was only possible if we remain in learning mode throughout our careers. I would estimate ship modelling to be no different.

Maybe I'll start a build log entitled Ship Modelling Mistakes and everyone can share their miscues... :)

OK guys...that's enough puking on my shoes. I do appreciate your kind and generous words.

I used to do some lecturing in my profession and one of my most popular and requested programs was entitled: Orthodontic Failures where I showed 3 hours of things I had messed up and then one case at the end with a breathtaking result. My point was to help my colleagues avoid repeating my mistakes - and then proffer that the successful treatment of a seemingly impossible case was only possible if we remain in learning mode throughout our careers. I would estimate ship modelling to be no different.

Maybe I'll start a build log entitled Ship Modelling Mistakes and everyone can share their miscues... :)
Perhaps you should finish your lecture with "If you are always looking backward, you cannot look forward." One of my favorite things regarding this hobby has become checking this thread to see of Paul has added any new steps to his Wasa model. It's one of the things I do daily, in fact. Other than throwing some fun banter your way, Paul, seeing your build come together has helped me concentrate on making my build better. In a way, it's been a source of friend competition that has served to keep my build going at a steady pace, instead of sitting for months, stalled without progress, because it is encouraging to see all the small, lengthy steps slowly begin to come together, looking better and better over time. All the questions and debates we have over the tiny details like the rivet, the handrails, and the colors of the carvings end up being valuable source information for other builders. Build logs on this forum have impact on other members of which we are often unaware.

For me, mistakes and shortcomings in the build can serve as a roadblock, where the project sits for a long time, because it makes me hesitant to move forward to the next step. Other times, delays grow long because I am unsure where to work next, concerned that the next step will make further steps more difficult as far as access for my hands and tools, or prevent a feature like internal lighting from being workable. That almost happened on my current build. Something like cutting out the gun portals in the hull can really fray your nerves with worry that if their placement is incorrect, it may be difficult to fix and take lots of re-work. I know you have these same thoughts with your build!

Last edited:
Hummmm. The moment I hit the Reply button on my last post I thought uh oh that may sound somewhat condescending to others. Not my intention though.
I actually thought the puking on ones shoes was funny, and I do understand the intent as I'm sure we all do.

Hummmm. The moment I hit the Reply button on my last post I thought uh oh that may sound somewhat condescending to others. Not my intention though.
I actually thought the puking on ones shoes was funny, and I do understand the intent as I'm sure we all do.
We've all been poking at Paul lately, but I'm sure he knows we mean well.

We've all been poking at Paul lately, but I'm sure he knows we mean well.
No worries guys; I am not offended in any way. I have been laughing right alongside you (and sometimes AT you :p)...

And also working on my ship...

This morning I wrapped up the beakhead for the time being. There are all sorts of painted castings that need to be attached but I don't think they're all painted yet and I'm not in the mood for painting right now. I'll probably save that for a winter activity.

I added some tiny angle brackets to the transverse pin rails and reworked the comfort stations...

IMG_7251.JPG

IMG_7249.JPG

And oiled her down for a night on the town:

IMG_7238.JPG

IMG_7239.JPG

I also painted the outboard surface of the bulwark:

IMG_7245.JPG

That may look a bit wonky right now but there will be a parade of Roman emperors and other adornments installed later on...

Here is the big picture as of today:

IMG_7257.JPG

Looking back I see I spent nearly a month on this scratch-built beakhead. It was a really fun and challenging project that I'm glad I took on. I think the kit supplied parts could have been put together in an afternoon so I'm not sure I passed the test of common sense - but I learned a lot and picked up some scroll saw skills along the way.

I think I'm going to figure out chain wales (channels?) and chain plates next. Or maybe not.

As always I am delighted you stop by to visit on occasion.

No worries guys; I am not offended in any way. I have been laughing right alongside you (and sometimes AT you :p)...

And also working on my ship...

This morning I wrapped up the beakhead for the time being. There are all sorts of painted castings that need to be attached but I don't think they're all painted yet and I'm not in the mood for painting right now. I'll probably save that for a winter activity.

I added some tiny angle brackets to the transverse pin rails and reworked the comfort stations...

View attachment 264658

View attachment 264657

And oiled her down for a night on the town:

View attachment 264653

View attachment 264654

I also painted the outboard surface of the bulwark:

View attachment 264656

That may look a bit wonky right now but there will be a parade of Roman emperors and other adornments installed later on...

Here is the big picture as of today:

View attachment 264660

Looking back I see I spent nearly a month on this scratch-built beakhead. It was a really fun and challenging project that I'm glad I took on. I think the kit supplied parts could have been put together in an afternoon so I'm not sure I passed the test of common sense - but I learned a lot and picked up some scroll saw skills along the way.

I think I'm going to figure out chain wales (channels?) and chain plates next. Or maybe not.

As always I am delighted you stop by to visit on occasion.
What is 1 month for such a grand scratch build part?
It is beautifull, Paul.

Really beautiful Paul. That pearwood is magnificent, I love the way it takes on the oil finish. On the deck canons, Billings has what I call a Calvary style canon on the second to top stern deck with port hole. Will you be incorporating a set as well?

View attachment 264675

The DeAg kit did not provide decorative rings for the gun ports in those locations nor enough guns to add those two in the rear of the ship (those cannons don't show up in the instructions anywhere) so I have been pretending they don't exist for the time being. I will likely add something but more like the rest of the guns. I am doubtful of the historicity of what is shown in your instructions...

I also don't have the little round top window that shows up back there. It's on my list of things I need to remember to add (my ever-growing list :().

Back