VOC ship The Prins Willem (scale 1:75) Year 1651

This is an absolutely wonderful discussion going on here. When @Steef66 Stephan's enquiring mind is coupled to the innate knowledge of @Ab Hoving Ab, it provides the ideal learning environment. Sure ... the late Herman Ketting has made mistakes and some things may be inexplicable, but through his model and his book, he has still made a very valuable contribution to Dutch model ship building. It all adds to Dutch Naval History and I for one am very happy for the Kettings and Hovings of this world. Now @Maarten just needs to finish his two "Ingelsmanne" and get started on the Fluyt.

This is an absolutely wonderful discussion going on here. When @Steef66 Stephan's enquiring mind is coupled to the innate knowledge of @Ab Hoving Ab, it provides the ideal learning environment. Sure ... the late Herman Ketting has made mistakes and some things may be inexplicable, but through his model and his book, he has still made a very valuable contribution to Dutch model ship building. It all adds to Dutch Naval History and I for one am very happy for the Kettings and Hovings of this world. Now @Maarten just needs to finish his two "Ingelsmanne" and get started on the Fluyt.
Fully focussed on my kitchen extension at the moment. Hopefully in July again some time for the hobby. :)

Finally after a lot of reading and studying, I started to build something for my Prins "Willim".

Lucky there is only one on the Prins Willem. It is made out of a piece of boxwood. After the lathe it went to the sander and then to chisel and cutter.
Need a lot more details and work but it's starting to look like a lantern.

The book of Ketting:
IMG_1813.JPG

IMG_1804.JPGIMG_1805.JPGIMG_1806.JPGIMG_1807.JPGIMG_1810.JPGIMG_1811.JPG

Now I'm working on all these little details and little windows, curls and pins. Later more....

WOW, I mean...what can I add to what I saw!!! You choose the hard way and it works for you well. Have you thought of making the sides separate parts already with windows?

Very good work - I am everytime surprised how big these laterns were - having in mind, that your model is 1:75 .....

Hello Stephan,
I was poking around the forum looking for other 17th century Dutch-built ships to help me on my project and I came across your build log. What a wonderful job you are doing adding details to a previously started model. Your carving is inspirational and I will now be tracking with you as you begin the rigging process. I'm a novice and will be eager to see how you approach something I know nothing about. There are so many wonderful builds by talented artists on this forum it is sometimes quite overwhelming. Again, thank you for sharing your marvelous work!

Hello Stephan,
I was poking around the forum looking for other 17th century Dutch-built ships to help me on my project and I came across your build log. What a wonderful job you are doing adding details to a previously started model. Your carving is inspirational and I will now be tracking with you as you begin the rigging process. I'm a novice and will be eager to see how you approach something I know nothing about. There are so many wonderful builds by talented artists on this forum it is sometimes quite overwhelming. Again, thank you for sharing your marvelous work!
Ditto. I poke around a lot too. Get lots of new ideas.

Thanks for the likes.
But there is a lot to do. In this case I need to do 7 windows like this. And this one took a hour. And then I have to clean it up with a small cutter to make it smooth

View attachment 241758
Dear Stephan
Your special and professional working methods create products at a very high level, just a pleasure to learn from you. please continue to share as its possible so that we can learn and develop thanks to you

Hello Stephan,
For some reason I missed your post, thanks for this nice comment. And please be welcome to see this build.
I will soon starting the rigging work. I'm waiting for blocks for the rigging and some lasercut wood and parts to build a new ropewalk.

Everybody thanks again for the likes and the beautiful comments.

It is not an easy job to do. These little windows need to be carved out one by one. And accidents are possible. Till now everything went well.
My instruments are small, a chissel of 1 mm. and 0,5 mm. and a flat cutter of 0,9 mm. and I have a same kind sphere of 0,3 and 0,5 mm. And sometimes these are to big. Just 4 windows to do.

IMG_1840.JPGIMG_1841.JPGIMG_1842.JPGIMG_1843.JPG

Hi Every one. :) My name is Stephan I'm 54 years old. Excuse me for my bad English sometimes, I'll try to write it, please correct me when I make mistakes. It will be a good lesson to me.

This will my first log here on SOS. 2 years ago, before this ship I started with model building. My first project ever was the Endeavour from Veliero(1:100), bought on marketplace. In a month I was addicted, and 6 months Later I was ready.

View attachment 205861

After that I started to build the Spansk Galeon from Billing Boats (1:66) The kit was just like the kit from Veliero more than 50 years old and most of the wood was to old or mold.
It became a part kit part scratch build. 13 months to complete it.
The rigging took the most time to make, I study a lot about it. But I completed it using the book from Peter Kirsch Die Galleonen (german)

View attachment 205862View attachment 205863

After that project I started to completing the build of the Prins Willem, back in 2007 Jan started to build the Prins Willem, but couldn't complete it. Last year he asked if there was anybody who wants to build it to the end. I was lucky to get the honor.
The ship reached me in good conditioning and a closer look makes me realise this would be a lot of work.

View attachment 205864View attachment 205865View attachment 205866View attachment 205867View attachment 205868View attachment 205869View attachment 205870View attachment 205871View attachment 205872View attachment 205873

The dek is cherry wood, the hull is pear and most of the black wood is ebony. Canons and sculptures are boxwood. Very nice word especially the hull and deks.

I started to clean my desk and reorganise my "hok" (the director calls my hobby-space "hok" :) )

View attachment 205874View attachment 205875

In the next days I will let you see how far I am building this ship.
Please enjoy this log
Hallo Stephan,
we wish you the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Dear Stephan
HAPPY BIRTHDAY Birthday :) BeerBirthday-Cake

wish you All the best , happiness and a lot of ship model Ship-1

Back