VOC ship The Prins Willem (scale 1:75) Year 1651

All the time I was thinking, Lucky just one lantern. Lol. Nooo. There are 2 :eek:ROTFROTF oke, got anothere piece of boxwood in the same dimensions. So I start with this now. First the block in the tablesaw and stander to make 8 sides and no I'm run it in the lathe. Same procedure again. Later more

Birthday-CakePopcornExplosionBottleA very happy belated birthday Stephan! Yes, the Dutchmen are certainly on a mission - you and Max! Beautiful work on the lantern!

Thanks for the birthday wishes. And all the likes and comments.

But I need help. ExplosionHelpExplosion

I working on the second lantern and I made the wood around the glass like this, separated from the background. Hope you can see. Not totally finished yet, need some precise carving around the edges.
IMG_1860.JPGIMG_1861.JPG

I can do 2 things now. Leave it like that Or I can hollow the lantern out like this quick made thing.
Don't look to the roughness of the carving it's about the idea.

IMG_1862.JPGIMG_1863.JPG

This will be a lot of work. But is it also looking better. I don't shy the work because all the fun of building these ships is not the completion of the ship but the build itself. So what do you think? Let me know
I gonna sleep on it.

Thanks for the birthday wishes. And all the likes and comments.

But I need help. ExplosionHelpExplosion

I working on the second lantern and I made the wood around the glass like this, separated from the background. Hope you can see. Not totally finished yet, need some precise carving around the edges.
View attachment 242680View attachment 242681

I can do 2 things now. Leave it like that Or I can hollow the lantern out like this quick made thing.
Don't look to the roughness of the carving it's about the idea.

View attachment 242682View attachment 242683

This will be a lot of work. But is it also looking better. I don't shy the work because all the fun of building these ships is not the completion of the ship but the build itself. So what do you think? Let me know
Hey Stephan.

It's looking so nice o_O
In my opinion the separate parts look better.
It is more work but also more realistic. .

Keep up the good work. I'm enjoying your work every time I look at it.

On the picture I can see perfectly the distance between the windows and the background so there is enough depth to separate the windows from the background.

If you hollow it out you have to place (red,orange) plastic behind the windows.
That's also verry nice. But I prefer the 1st one.
Because of the depth between the window and background.

Alright the cutting on the lantern is done. I go for the first option and I don't hollow them out. To much risk.

Was searching for the little peaks on the top and I used some brass belaying pins that I have. I put them on dry fit. Glue them after the painting. The end result after a lot of work:
The second one in the lathe
IMG_1852.JPGIMG_1853.JPG

The second after sanding
IMG_1854.JPG

Second one first cutting of the windows
IMG_1855.JPGIMG_1856.JPG
IMG_1858.JPG

My glasses to see the job, very important
IMG_1859.JPG
and ready
IMG_1868.JPGIMG_1869.JPGIMG_1867.JPGIMG_1866.JPG

Now I have to break my head about how to fit them to the stern.

This is ridiculous beautiful.
Great job Stephan. I'm looking fw to your next update.
The patience you have to make this makes the difference between hobby and pro.
Because this is pro work in a hobby setting.

Dear Stephan,
Nice carving job!!!
I like it very much! So precisly done !
Franckly speaking, I like them even more ,how they looked like , before painting ...this wood looks so warm and nice ! :)
Ps
You forgot to show ventilation openings on the top cover...

Back