VOC ship The Prins Willem (scale 1:75) Year 1651

Beautiful work as always Stephan. A question: you mention that you are preparing for running rigging. Are you going to add the upper mast sections or present your ship as she is?
I'm going to mount all the blocks and fitting necessary voor the runnen rigging. At this time I can reach every spot. After that I go upwards to the next stage of the mast.

I will keep watching
I hope, need your advice sometimes and your trained eyes :p

Thanks @All for the likes and comments. Starting with this part. To lazy to find the name of this part. Maybe someone will tell it with no doubt.
2 times for the main and fore mast. The groomers took me half a day work. make the second one 10 times before I get it similar to the first one. pffffRedface
CoffeeCoffeeThumbsdown but finally I won. :p
enjoy the pictures, the standard blocks are not self-made. the rest I did myself with cherry wood.

IMG_0001.jpgIMG_2329.JPGIMG_2332.JPGIMG_2333.JPG

I hope, need your advice sometimes and your trained eyes :p

Thanks @All for the likes and comments. Starting with this part. To lazy to find the name of this part. Maybe someone will tell it with no doubt.
2 times for the main and fore mast. The groomers took me half a day work. make the second one 10 times before I get it similar to the first one. pffffRedface
CoffeeCoffeeThumbsdown but finally I won. :p
enjoy the pictures, the standard blocks are not self-made. the rest I did myself with cherry wood.

View attachment 289948View attachment 289949View attachment 289950View attachment 289951
In English, the lines in green on your drawing form was is called a "crow's foot" because the lines resemble the foot of a crow. The lines run from the edge of the top down to a euphroe. The euphroe is the piece with multiple holes in it. The tackle below the crow's foot is used to keep the lines of the crow's foot taut.

Wolfram zu Mondfeld's explanation:
1644528686769.png

1644528640138.png

Thanks @All for the likes, comments and visit of my log. And Kurt for the name of the crowfeet. Just don't came on the word. Lets call that ageing.
Grommets a lot of..... 16 piece with a diameter of 1 cm. And then put them together with 3-1 blocks.
Enjoy the pictures of the steps I made.....

IMG_2334.JPGIMG_2336.JPGIMG_2337.JPGIMG_2338.JPGIMG_2340.JPGIMG_2341.JPGIMG_2342.JPGIMG_2343.JPGIMG_2344.JPG

Still 12 to go

On the Dutch modelling site a member shared with my build log a video. About the replica of the Prins Willim build in 1985 for Japan. In real scale. Herman Ketting is in the video too. It is in Dutch and the video is of that time. But a must see.
Enjoy

On the Dutch modelling site a member shared with my build log a video. About the replica of the Prins Willim build in 1985 for Japan. In real scale. Herman Ketting is in the video too. It is in Dutch and the video is of that time. But a must see.
Enjoy

Many Thanks for showing and sharing with us this video of building (and transporting to Japan) the replica.
At this time most replics were build with a steel hull, also this one.

Very impressive was the sequence when the shipwrights made the knot of the anchor cable - here you get really an impression of the real sizes
anchor cable replic Prins willim.JPG

here you get really an impression of the real sizes
And in the video was told the original rope was I tought 50 cm in circumference. Because the anchors where hollow it wasn't necessary to make them at real scale. So these ropes are a little smaller than the real stuff. Still impressive to see. Now it makes also sence why knot them on this way to the eye and not like you see so often on models with an eye.

Very impressive was the sequence when the shipwrights made the knot of the anchor cable - here you get really an impression of the real sizes
I am actually a bit skeptical about the size of the anchor ring. The size of the anchor cable, and the actual anchor size, make me scratch the head and debate if the ring on the photo will hold the anchor? Also, the anchor rings are padded first, before cables are attached.

Here is what Brian Lavery shows in his book

IMG_2290.JPEG

IMG_2291.JPEG

What do you think, folks?

The anchor of the Prins Willem is of 1651. The anchor Brian shows is 160 years later.
The ring on the anchor looks thin to me to. But therefore the anchor is hollow, made of welded plates of steel. I think they even floot when going in the water. So this will problaby like the rope not 100% in scale.

Another part in the video when the supervisor was talking about the carpenters. These carpenters work normally on yachts and there is it important to make things tight and smooth. But I told them that is not necessary to do so, because in the time this ship was build they have just a few tools to make it and the wood was roughly finished. But these carpenters keep going on to give everything a smooth finish. And yes he said it looks good.

I am sure there are many aspects of the replica ship's construction which are different, most in the interests of safety, others dues to changes in materials or design for savings in cost or cost of manufacture, or to extend the lifetime of the component or the ship in general. Suffice to say, a true, accurate early 17th century vessel is a dangerous ship to sail, with many features that being on much more risk to human life by modern marine standards. The most obvious modern changes would be a ships radio, motorized propulsion, anchor handling gear, and modern navigation equipment. Some replica vessels, like the HMAV Bounty which I had the pleasure of touring years ago, are not wood, but metal sheathed in wood. This departure saves cost, improves hull strength, and can reduce weight. Modern features on the Bounty were disguised beneath mockups of crates and other items on the weather deck. To me, it was disappointing to see that the vessel was not a 100% reproduction. Being aboard such a ship would be a dream come true. I do not believe a 100% reproduction of a large scale 17th century vessel is possible these days because of the scarcity of certain materials, including strong, old growth mast timbers and wood for framing. Also modern maritime law would not allow a primitive ship to sail minus essential modern safety features.

Thanks @All again for the likes, kind words and visiting my log.

Past days I made the topgallant masts and the bowsprit mast. There will be no tops on the crosstree's of the topgallantmasts. The museum model don't have them and in many Dutch paintings of Dutch ships they are not there. So I think they are not necessary on these Dutch ships. You see them sometimes on warships but not on these VOC ships. Maybe I'm wrong.

IMG_2353.JPGIMG_2357.JPGIMG_2358.JPGIMG_2359.JPGIMG_2360.JPGIMG_2361.JPGIMG_2362.JPGIMG_2363.JPGIMG_2364.JPGIMG_2365.JPGIMG_2366.JPG

It was not easy, most parts are made by Jan, and they don't fit very well. So I have to make the fit and clean the parts. Lot of glue and old varnish. Also the bowsprit top was a pin construction. I made it so that everything fit wel en fix them in place with wooden pins.

Back