YUANQING BLUENOSE _ E J - Eugene Schmidt

Lower line in bow frames is for the lower beams on inside of the bow. Upper line is cut off line. Don’t really need to mark that because it’s basically 2mm below the upper part of the notch. In addition when you cut the jig off, you cut it 10mm above that line and file or sand flush upper part of ship after planking bulwarks. So I did not use the upper mark.
The deck beams are flush with the lower part of the notch, no line needed.
Thanks.

Got the bow end pieces glued in place,

IMG_0279.JPG

IMG_0280.JPG

and set up 4 frames in the jig with the keel in them. Set square blocks in there to check for vertical positioning. Everything looks good to me so far.

IMG_0281.JPG

Will glue these in place at the keel and the jig, then remove the plate from the jig and start placing frames, bow to stern, using the rotating function.

Full frames done. One looks like I beveled it backwards. I might have to make a "dutchman" to fill it in.

IMG_0288.JPG

Next up, the stern frames. I think I made a mistake by gluing frame 56 in place. In the pic, 1/2 of frame 55 and parts 51, 52, 57 are not glued. I still need to fair them a bit first, but I'm finding it difficult to get the parts in place, especially both frames 55, because they kinda "hook" together and fit in the slots in the keel. Does it work better to glue them together and install them as an assembly.
I'll look at it again tomorrow.

IMG_0289.JPG

Full frames done. One looks like I beveled it backwards. I might have to make a "dutchman" to fill it in.

View attachment 221258

Next up, the stern frames. I think I made a mistake by gluing frame 56 in place. In the pic, 1/2 of frame 55 and parts 51, 52, 57 are not glued. I still need to fair them a bit first, but I'm finding it difficult to get the parts in place, especially both frames 55, because they kinda "hook" together and fit in the slots in the keel. Does it work better to glue them together and install them as an assembly.
I'll look at it again tomorrow.

View attachment 221259
I looked at doing it as an assembly, however it wasn’t any easier because you have to put in 4 small frames and at the same time align the longer frames. So I dry fit and adjusted all the pieces about 3 times until I could put it all together well dry fitting. Then I glued the 4 small frames vertical with the keel first and then quickly glued in the two wide frames that attach to the keel in order before the glue set up. Was tricky, but if you can get together quickly during a dry fit, you will be okay. Just adjust all notches to make sure everything goes together easy. ;)

I looked at doing it as an assembly, however it wasn’t any easier because you have to put in 4 small frames and at the same time align the longer frames. So I dry fit and adjusted all the pieces about 3 times until I could put it all together well dry fitting. Then I glued the 4 small frames vertical with the keel first and then quickly glued in the two wide frames that attach to the keel in order before the glue set up. Was tricky, but if you can get together quickly during a dry fit, you will be okay. Just adjust all notches to make sure everything goes together easy. ;)
Thanks for the perspective. I've got some fitting to do and fairing shy of the etched lines, then a trial fit before gluing.

By the way, after I was done assembling the frames, I got a bottle of Weldbond. Seems to have a bit more "open" time and a bit thinner than Titebond, yet sets up fairly quickly. It doesn't "skin over" quite as fast. I'm liking the stuff and it has worked well fitting the frames to the keel. It is somewhat gap filling as well. I used CA glue where the frame tips meet the jig mainly because I could align the join at the keel using Weldbond, glue and zap the tips at the jig with insta set, aligning everything up before the Weldbond set up solid. Then move on to the next frame.

Today, tackle the stern. I peeked at Don's stern assembly too. I also broke one of the ends off one of the keel extensions, right where the thin end meets the wider section that glues to the main keel. (No vodka was used, but a Jack Daniel's single barrel shot helped). Was able to fix it though and SO FAR, have not broken it off again.

Thanks for the perspective. I've got some fitting to do and fairing shy of the etched lines, then a trial fit before gluing.

By the way, after I was done assembling the frames, I got a bottle of Weldbond. Seems to have a bit more "open" time and a bit thinner than Titebond, yet sets up fairly quickly. It doesn't "skin over" quite as fast. I'm liking the stuff and it has worked well fitting the frames to the keel. It is somewhat gap filling as well. I used CA glue where the frame tips meet the jig mainly because I could align the join at the keel using Weldbond, glue and zap the tips at the jig with insta set, aligning everything up before the Weldbond set up solid. Then move on to the next frame.

Today, tackle the stern. I peeked at Don's stern assembly too. I also broke one of the ends off one of the keel extensions, right where the thin end meets the wider section that glues to the main keel. (No vodka was used, but a Jack Daniel's single barrel shot helped). Was able to fix it though and SO FAR, have not broken it off again.
Yes I switched to Weldbond on my last build. I love working with it.

Those frames look immaculately clean and free from char! Way to go, EJ! I tried Titebond once and immediately relegated it to the realms of obscurity in a garbage can.

Those frames look immaculately clean and free from char! Way to go, EJ! I tried Titebond once and immediately relegated it to the realms of obscurity in a garbage can.
Thank you.

We've used Titebond for years in the shop, buying it in 5 gallon containers. Works great for cabinet making and trim and stair work. Just not as good for modeling as Weldbond.

Well, This was a tiring day. Got the stern done. Boy what a fiddly assembly that was. Then finished all the half frames.

IMG_0290.JPG

IMG_0291.JPG

IMG_0292.JPG

IMG_0293.JPG

IMG_0294.JPG

IMG_0295.JPG

Those two outer parts on the stern, boy, there isn't much holding them on. Hope I don't knock them off too may times. You can see the one I broke, first one left of center in this pic. I don't think this will show later though.

IMG_0296.JPG

Next up I guess is the blocking for the bow. Lots of pieces and char to clean up there.

Well, This was a tiring day. Got the stern done. Boy what a fiddly assembly that was. Then finished all the half frames.

View attachment 221489

View attachment 221490

View attachment 221491

View attachment 221492

View attachment 221493

View attachment 221494

Those two outer parts on the stern, boy, there isn't much holding them on. Hope I don't knock them off too may times. You can see the one I broke, first one left of center in this pic. I don't think this will show later though.

View attachment 221495

Next up I guess is the blocking for the bow. Lots of pieces and char to clean up there.
Looking great!

Looking great!
It looks like you are doing well on this fragile framing. It should be greatly strengthened with the interior framing and decking as well I would think with the exterior hull planking securing all of those thin "floating" pieces. This reminds me of a monocoque (or however it is spelled) where the body holds everything together. I wonder if a few temporary battens with an easily removed by moisture glue would secure the projecting transom framing pieces until they are actually planked? I don't know as I am a pier watchman only with the group. Rich

I was thinking about a "brace" of some sort too. My luck, the brace would allow me to break them all off simultaneously.:(

Back