YUANQING BLUENOSE - Peter Voogt [COMPLETED BUILD]

Now all following you on SOS know you tweaked your ratlines, but... from normal viewing distance no one will be able to tell you did. Great job, especially since I've seen the real thing; the pictures you post make those knots look a lot larger than they are.
Thanxs, Johan. I will make the next pictures from more distance :)
Regards, Peter

Recently Robin @NovaStorm took this picture of the ratlines of the BN-II:
View attachment 329359

With the thread of Stephan, Serafil 4000 (0,12 mm <120/2>) and Herman's directions, made 2 more attempts to tie the weaving lines with 2 eye splices between the 2 shrouds:
View attachment 329357
After those 2 attempts, however, gave up. Because attaching the 2nd eye splice, which I could only half prepare, was actually not possible in a neat way.
Started in the usual way with a clove hitches on both sides:
View attachment 329358
With slightly sagging ratlines. Gonna be fine.
Regards, Peter
Sometimes the scale will not permit certain details. Try as we might, they don't look correct out of scale. Nothing wrong with plan B. ;)

First finished the ratlines on the starboard side and then the port side:
896 Ratlines.jpg
I'm getting better and better. The iPhone uses quite a fish-eye perspective. The horizontal position of the lines is somewhat distorted.

Seen as a whole, they are still visible:
897 Ratlines.jpg
I am very curious how these size ratlines will show with the thicker shrouds of the lower mast.

There is a nice routine in knots again. Let's see what I am going to do now, because the blocks are still at customs..... gggrrrrrr So still no deadeyes.
Regards, Peter

First finished the ratlines on the starboard side and then the port side:
View attachment 329510
I'm getting better and better. The iPhone uses quite a fish-eye perspective. The horizontal position of the lines is somewhat distorted.

Seen as a whole, they are still visible:
View attachment 329511
I am very curious how these size ratlines will show with the thicker shrouds of the lower mast.

There is a nice routine in knots again. Let's see what I am going to do now, because the blocks are still at customs..... gggrrrrrr So still no deadeyes.
Regards, Peter
I find these ratline- and topshroud rope diameters far more convincing than YQ'S proposed ones. Thumbsup

There is a nice routine in knots again. Let's see what I am going to do now, because the blocks are still at customs..... gggrrrrrr So still no deadeyes
Peter, might I ask about the blocks you chose? Who you bought them from?

I hope I get that far and if I do, I intend to buy a goodly number of blocks to rig much more like on the MS Lankford drawings and the Chapelle Fishing Schooners book dwgs.

Oops and meant to add that your top mast work is the gold standard.
alf

Peter, might I ask about the blocks you chose? Who you bought them from?

I hope I get that far and if I do, I intend to buy a goodly number of blocks to rig much more like on the MS Lankford drawings and the Chapelle Fishing Schooners book dwgs.

Oops and meant to add that your top mast work is the gold standard.
alf
Hi Alf. I ordered the blocks and deadeyes by Dry Docks of Zoltan:

I got the details and measurements of the ropes and blocks also from those MS drawings and Chapelle's book. That last one is as a encyclopedia.
I discussed a lot with Dean @Dean62 who was also following those drawing for some extra parts and details. Please take a look at his completed build.
Regards, Peter

Hi Alf. I ordered the blocks and deadeyes by Dry Docks of Zoltan:

I got the details and measurements of the ropes and blocks also from those MS drawings and Chapelle's book. That last one is as a encyclopedia.
I discussed a lot with Dean @Dean62 who was also following those drawing for some extra parts and details. Please take a look at his completed build.
Regards, Peter
Thanks for the lead, I'll check them out. You're up late this (your time) evening. The MS dwgs are pretty nice, I'm using them for the spar detailing. And here's my afternoon break593CE174-DFBB-4757-9641-12E7BD6B2343.jpeg

Thanks for the lead, I'll check them out. You're up late this (your time) evening. The MS dwgs are pretty nice, I'm using them for the spar detailing. And here's my afternoon breakView attachment 329582
Well well, Alf, that are very nice items for having a afternoon break. :p That way you can look at the work you've done with satisfaction.:)
Regards, Peter

Got to work with the shrouds of the lower mast. To see if my intended rope is in proportion.
A piece wrapped around the top and hanging down clamped:
898 Lower Shrouds.jpg

In detail to the mast top:
899 Lower Shrouds.jpg
Signed off at the bottom white mast band. Until then, I'm going to cover the rope for this test.

A few months ago I had bought this 'Serving Machine' (RopeWalk) on Ali. Assembled and tensioned the rope:
900 Serving.jpg
I will be doing a review soon with my findings.

In detail the covered rope:
901 Serving.jpg

This is what it looks like on the mast stop:
902 Serving.jpg

As far as I'm concerned, successful. For further editing I really need the deadeyes. Because I will also cover the ropes on the underside around the deadeyes. At the schooners themselves they were there wrapped with canvas. I want to imitate that.
I have to tip some point on the mast head with the white ink ..... ;), but only when everything if finished there.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Well well, Alf, that are very nice items for having a afternoon break. :p That way you can look at the work you've done with satisfaction.:)
Regards, Peter
Got to work with the shrouds of the lower mast. To see if my intended rope is in proportion.
View attachment 329701

View attachment 329702
Signed off at the bottom white mast band. Until then, I'm going to cover the rope for this test.

A few months ago I had bought this 'Serving Machine' through Ali. Assembled and tensioned the rope:
View attachment 329703

View attachment 329704

View attachment 329705

As far as I'm concerned, successful. For further editing I really need the deadeyes. Because I will also cover the ropes on the underside around the deadeyes. At the schooners themselves they were there wrapped with canvas. I want to imitate that.
Regards, Peter
WOW!
I had kind of thought I might try hand 'winding' much like the thread wrapping of a Spey or Dee salmon fly but now after seeing what you've done I'm not so sure. One of my fly vises is fully rotatable but even so . . .??

WOW!
I had kind of thought I might try hand 'winding' much like the thread wrapping of a Spey or Dee salmon fly but now after seeing what you've done I'm not so sure. One of my fly vises is fully rotatable but even so . . .??
Thanxs, Alf. I was pleasantly surprised with the result. And winded in a few minutes.
regards, Peter

View attachment 329701

View attachment 329702

A few months ago I had bought this 'Serving Machine' (RopeWalk) on Ali. Assembled and tensioned the rope:
View attachment 329703

View attachment 329704

View attachment 329705

I have to tip some point on the mast head with the white ink ..... ;), but only when everything if finished there.
Regards, Peter
Great work Peter! I know you are excited to be placing the masts and finally seeing the shroud lines go on. I hope your blocks arrive soon!

Great work Peter! I know you are excited to be placing the masts and finally seeing the shroud lines go on. I hope your blocks arrive soon!
Thanx, Dean. This part at Schiphol airport for the import of goods is also a mess.:mad: In the meantime I can prepare more and more on this mast. Then also the foremast ......... I'm not out of work for the time being ;). Maybe I'll get to furled sails too :).
Regards, Peter

Back