YUANQING BLUENOSE - Peter Voogt [COMPLETED BUILD]

Good morning Peter. As always outstanding work and detail. To “whiten” the bands on the mast fitted as accurately as you have achieved is some skillful work. Ahh, so it is not only SA where customs takes their time. Can be frustrating for sure. Cheers Grant
Thanxs, Grant.
With a very small brush and my glasses ....
And the advantage that I first provided the wood with the linseed oil. The paint will not stick to the wood and can easily be wiped off. Also pre-thinking of this process ;). But I think you know all about that when rigging your Victory.
Regards, Peter

Started with the inner shrouds of the topmast:
886 Top Shroud.jpg
Don't mind the colors. Today a dark day here in Brabant, so I took a picture with different lighting conditions.
In the MS's drawings, all lines are provided with a measure. Most are between 0.25 mm and 0.6 mm with the ratlines of 0.15 mm.
1: First the 2x2 shrouds of 0.25 mm around the top band and hung with clothespins.
2: Zoomed in on the top mast.
3: In the first instance, the bottom end of the shrouds are placed around 2 mm rings and tied.
4: And with lanyards fastened in the eyes of the futtock shrouds. Those eyes are also 2 mm. But because of the 0.25 mm rope around those loose rings, they show way too big.
5: For comparison on the other side, the lines provided with an eye splice and also secured with lanyards.

In my opinion much more in proportion, but I would like to hear your opinion.
PS: We are talking about these dimensions:
887 Top Shroud.jpg
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Started trying out what ratlines I could make. On the MS drawings it says:
890 Ratlines.jpg
And if I've seen something like this ........ with the eye splices on both sides and then with knots on the stays ...... :rolleyes:

The preparation of an eye splice with knot, with a line through the eye to tie to the stay, in 2 phases:
891 Ratlines.jpg
With thread of 0.15 mm / 0.006" around a needle...... ;)Sick

Applied here with also 2 regular ones with clove-hitches:
892 Ratlines.jpg
A weaving line with 2 eye splices, at the right distance (which gets smaller and smaller) and that both shrouds after several weaving lines still remain nice and straight and taut ....... ;) and then those very small knots also become very large .

So it will be the normal ratlines with mast clove-hitches. Because I still have also the weaving lines for the lower masts. Then I'll be fine for a few months with all those eye splits. But if you haven't tried it then.......somewhere there is a limit.
PS: I don't see those small frays with the naked eye myself ......
Regards, Peter

View attachment 328541
And if I've seen something like this ........ with the eye splices on both sides and then with knots on the stays ...... :rolleyes:

The preparation of an eye splice with knot, with a line through the eye to tie to the stay, in 2 phases:
View attachment 328542

View attachment 328543
A weaving line with 2 eye splices, at the right distance (which gets smaller and smaller) and that both shrouds after several weaving lines still remain nice and straight and taut ....... ;) and then those very small knots also become very large .

So it will be the normal ratlines with mast clove-hitches. Because I still have also the weaving lines for the lower masts. Then I'll be fine for a few months with all those eye splits. But if you haven't tried it then.......somewhere there is a limit.
Regards, Peter
The best ratlines I have every seen are the one made by Johann alias @archjofo on his amazing model
Take a look how is is doing them, maybe you can get some hints for improving your technique

The best ratlines I have every seen are the one made by Johann alias @archjofo on his amazing model
Take a look how is is doing them, maybe you can get some hints for improving your technique

Thanks, Uwe. Stephan @Steef66 has already mentioned him. I have seen his technique, but his scale is 1:48. I have tried the splice with the syringe I also used for my hinges. The 0.15 mm thread fits nicely to the 0,5 mm inside and the wire can be puled over/through to make the splice. The start of the first in the wise is possible and attaching to the first shroud also. But on the other side, the 'opened wire' rips off to much (+1 mm ;)). And then I am far besides the other shroud.
I have now 1 side done and will try another technique on the other side. When finished I will show.
Regards, Peter

View attachment 328541

View attachment 328542

View attachment 328543

Regards, Peter
I am not sure if you are waxing your lines, but once I adopted that method, I no longer saw any frays on the lines. ;)

Back