YUANQING BLUENOSE - Peter Voogt [COMPLETED BUILD]

Started dressing the masthead of the mainmast.
The information on the drawings of YQ, MS and Eisnor:
View attachment 327520
The insert, about top center, is from the YQ manual.
The cheeks are different in shape and too coarse, the front spreader is too short and there are no calves.
MS and Eisnor differ in installing hoists for the sloops and cargo. Selected Eisnor here.

Decided to build scratch. Here are the first parts:
View attachment 327521
-The mast has received the first band with an eye on both sides in witch the futtock shrouds where hooked in.
-The front of the mast is flattened and the rear and sides are slightly chamfered.
-Where the cheeks are placed, the mast is also flattened.
-The trestle trees fall slightly around the mast at the front and form the confinement of the foot of the upper mast.
-The foot of the upper mast has a recess so that it runs transversely around the front spreader. And gets closer to the mast top of the lower mast.
-2 side brackets and already some eyebolts for the spreaders. Because these are now easy to apply and can be painted with.

The parts mounted:
View attachment 327522
Everything had to be aligned squarely and straight of course.
All this now first finish and paint and then get started with all the fittings on the mast top.
Regards, Peter
If you want to build your Bluenose more or less historically accurate, just read and follow Peter's build log, minus the cutting, of course. That's meant for the daring only.

I have dry-fitted the fittings for the topmast. Since soldering these small parts isn't my cup of tea, I made it so it's clamped around the mast and secured with CA in essential places:
881 Topmast.jpg
At the top a few items temporarily fastened with nails that are still too long. There are 2 brackets to be blackened.

All the bands are made white. MS mentions that explicitly. But you can also see that in this old photo:
882 Topmast.jpg

This will be the image with the topmast:
883 Topmast.jpg
But there are still some parts to add on the topmast.
The lower mast has already had a layer of light browned linseed oil. Gets a little darker together with the topmast.
Can I go whitening and blackening.
Regards, Peter

As we've grown accustomed to with your build; beautifully crafted mast parts.

When looking at the old picture and stating that the mast bands are white, one could argue, that the mast hoops were painted white as well.
(But what a beauty she was... )

As we've grown accustomed to with your build; beautifully crafted mast parts.

When looking at the old picture and stating that the mast bands are white, one could argue, that the mast hoops were painted white as well.
(But what a beauty she was... )
Thanks, Johan. In the shade of the main sail, the hoops are darker. I think it’s the sunshine on the others.
Regards, Peter

Nice work the masts Peter
You will get a lot of attention next week in Duizel
I will take the nails for you and exchange information about your made masts

Thanks, Johan. In the shade of the main sail, the hoops are darker. I think it’s the sunshine on the others.
Regards, Peter
Still, comparing the hoops with the sails and other mast rings, supposedly being white, I'm rather tempted to say the hoops are a lot lighter than (dark) brown.
But then again; your shipyard, your AL-FI, your call.
Met hartelijke groet,
Johan

A little voice nagged in my head: you forgot something!
Just looked at the photos and drawings. And yes: the two 'spreader braces' that shield the opening from the ends of the small back spreader bar to the front spreader bar.
That’s for tomorrow.
Regards, Peter

The BN has reached its highest point:
884 Main.jpg
Dry-fit with also the front lower mast. They are provided with 2 layers of 'browned' linseed oil.

885 Main.jpg
The bands are made white with the 2 black brackets at the top. Why those 2 black? It is also specifically stated that all ironwork is 'blackened'. And all the standing rigging like the shrouds and the stays is black.
-The underside of the topmast is locked with a hinged iron gate.
-In the underside of the upper mast, just above the 2nd band, is the mast tackle sheave. This is not provided with a line. The tackle is used to mount the topmast. Then a temporary block will probably be placed in the top of the lower mast. The top is guided through the bracket and hoisted further up in position.
-In the top of the masthead a white ball with a 'truck' underneath with 2 holes on either side for the flag lines.
-On the shoulder below there is a band with 2 eyes. There are also pulleys that are used to pull up the top 2 sails.
Blocks will be still attached to almost all eyes. But I haven't got it yet. Customs apparently needs more than 6 weeks to clear a package and have it delivered. :mad:

Still dry-fit, in the vice I'm going to start with the shrouds of the topmast. Of course I first place the hoops on the topmast. ;) That's much easier than with an already installed mast. Everything that canoe pre-assembled is a advantage. And that will be quite a bit.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Superb work Peter - the guys in Duizel are in for a real treat this weekend. I am sure you are going to cause quite a few jaws to drop.

View attachment 328217
Dry-fit with also the front lower mast. They are provided with 2 layers of 'browned' linseed oil.

View attachment 328218
The bands are made white with the 2 black brackets at the top. Why those 2 black? It is also specifically stated that all ironwork is 'blackened'. And all the standing rigging like the shrouds and the stays is black.
-In the underside of the upper mast, just above the 2nd band, is the mast tackle sheave. This is not provided with a line. The tackle is used to mount the topmast. Then a temporary block will probably be placed in the top of the lower mast. The top is guided through the bracket and hoisted further up in position.
-In the top of the masthead a white ball with a 'truck' underneath with 2 holes on either side for the flag lines.
-On the shoulder below there is a band with 2 eyes. There are also pulleys that are used to pull up the top 2 sails.
Blocks will be still attached to almost all eyes. But I haven't got it yet. Customs apparently needs more than 6 weeks to clear a package and have it delivered. :mad:

Still dry-fit, in the vice I'm going to start with the shrouds of the topmast. Of course I first place the hoops on the topmast. ;) That's much easier than with an already installed mast. Everything that canoe pre-assembled is a advantage. And that will be quite a bit.
Regards, Peter
Congrats on reaching the highest point of your build.
She's absolutely looking gorgeous!
Are you now trying to finish her before coming Sunday? :cool:

View attachment 328217

View attachment 328218

Regards, Peter
Good morning Peter. As always outstanding work and detail. To “whiten” the bands on the mast fitted as accurately as you have achieved is some skillful work. Ahh, so it is not only SA where customs takes their time. Can be frustrating for sure. Cheers Grant

Back