YUANQING BLUENOSE - Peter Voogt [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hi Peter,
The last pictures I saw from your BN were those where you were building the cabins below the deck and now I am totally amazed with the progress you have made so far. In the meantime my almost one year old grandchild took stole my time and attention, but I can imagine you have as much fun and pride in your work as I have while interacting with my "precious". Beautiful!!!
Gijsbert

Hi Peter,
The last pictures I saw from your BN were those where you were building the cabins below the deck and now I am totally amazed with the progress you have made so far. In the meantime my almost one year old grandchild took stole my time and attention, but I can imagine you have as much fun and pride in your work as I have while interacting with my "precious". Beautiful!!!
Gijsbert
Thanks, Gijsbert. In such a period it looks I have made big steps. But it needs time to research everything and see if it is possible to build to scale. But almost another big chapter closed and I can go 'into the air'.
I can totally understand that 'little one' is taking up all your time. Enjoy it. Before you know, it's walking around and taking everything in hand: "Nice boat Grandpa".
regards, Peter

On the Dutch forum, a member asked what was inside the 6 wooden barrels?
Got the book 'Witch in the Wind' and in the chapter 'Her Life on the Banks' found these lines:
-The BN had 2 stacks of 6 dories.
-There was indeed fishing with lines. Per dorie 4 lines of 2100 ft each, that's 4x 731 meters. There were a total of 2700 hooks on those 4 lines.
-Halibut or cod were fished. A good angler could bait 500 hooks per half hour. Then you are busy for a while before your lines are out.
-The lines were sometimes plotted 4x per pull. One reeled in the line and removed the fish. The 2nd man behind provided the hooks with new bait and set the line again.
- For cod, once on board, the head and entrails were removed. But the liver was kept, tossed into a massive liver barrel lashed to the cabin house. When it was nearly full they'd lower a small stove into it and render the livers into oil. As the oil "made out" to the surface of the bilious mass in the butt, is was dipped out info water barrels that were stowed below.
So that's my big black 'liver' barrel against the cabin.
I continue to search for the contents of the 6 wooden barrels. Perhaps the bait, to keep it fresh.
Regards, Peter

Hi Heinrich. Thanks for your critical eye. I appreciate is, it keeps me sharp.
In terms of dark appearance, it partly has to do with the high contrasts. The dark brown of the wood with the light white of the bulwark and background. A digital chip cannot handle that well.
One more photo for you, with some adjusted lighting:
View attachment 325588

Just a comparison in grayscale:
View attachment 325590
But even with my 24mm lens, I could not make the same point of view. But that has to do with the other types of cameras and lenses from the past.
PS: The dories had no white border. But I did that to stay a bit in the style of the BN itself.
Regards, Peter
This is just great work Peter! I just love all the extra details you are adding. This continues to make it look more convincing as a ship, verses a model! ;)

Because I haven't received the ordered deadeyes yet, I started working on the masts.
Together with the fellow BN builder Johan @RDN1954 we had the idea that the masts from the kit were 'a little too big'. The round timber for the masts, booms and gaffs is already gutted at length and has also been rejuvenated.

In The Sage is a drawing with all the round wood, stating the (natural) English sizes. Only it is a reduced edition of the original drawing. The sizes are stated very very small. Most can be read with a magnifying glass, but some are not.
But the drawings with MS mention the sizes. Also in English and in 1:64 scale. With the extra control Eisnor's drawings in 1:48.
Brought everything into Excel and transferred everything with some formulas to cm's and mm's in scale 1:72.
With some extra formulas to check whether the proportions have the same reduction factor everywhere. Who, again that check, check double check eh..........
Conclusion:
The lengths are pretty good. But the diameters ........ they are (partly much) too thick.

Getting started on the Proxxon lathe:
860 Masts.jpg
The Mainmast:
-the foot reduced from 8.5 mm to 7.6 mm;
-the top to 6.5 mm and over the last 5 cm to 4.2 mm.
The Foremast:
-the foot reduced from 8.5 mm to 7.2 mm;
-the top to 6.3 mm and over the last 4.5 cm to 4 mm.
The lower parts are left at their thickness, because they become 8-edged at the deck lead-through.
PS: those are short pieces, the rest of the lower mast has already been installed in the forecastle and fish holds.
At both masts: the forward top side will be a little straight, the aft side some extra tapper.
The Main Topmast:
-the foot from 6.4 mm to 3.9 mm;
-the top from 4.1 mm to 2.5 mm, with a shoulder with a point on the top.
The photo shows the unprocessed Front Topmast that has the same thickness as the Main Topmast.
The latter in particular would have become much too fat.
Continue tomorrow with the lathe.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
This is just great work Peter! I just love all the extra details you are adding. This continues to make it look more convincing as a ship, verses a model! ;)
Thanks, Dean. With some work of yours in 3D, with some work of mine .......... As mentioned in another reply, looking at the old pictures, you see more and more. And now with the info in "The Witch", it make sense. Always nice when a plan comes together ......:)
Regards, Peter

Because I haven't received the ordered deadeyes yet, I started working on the masts.
Together with the fellow BN builder Johan @RDN1954 we had the idea that the masts from the kit were 'a little too big'. The round timber for the masts, booms and gaffs is already gutted at length and has also been rejuvenated.

In The Sage is a drawing with all the round wood, stating the (natural) English sizes. Only it is a reduced edition of the original drawing. The sizes are stated very very small. Most can be read with a magnifying glass, but some are not.
But the drawings with MS mention the sizes. Also in English and in 1:64 scale. With the extra control Eisnor's drawings in 1:48.
Brought everything into Excel and transferred everything with some formulas to cm's and mm's in scale 1:72.
With some extra formulas to check whether the proportions have the same reduction factor everywhere. Who, again that check, check double check eh..........
Conclusion:
The lengths are pretty good. But the diameters ........ they are (partly much) too thick.

Getting started on the Proxxon lathe:
View attachment 326005
The Mainmast:
-the foot reduced from 8.5 mm to 7.6 mm;
-the top to 6.5 mm and over the last 5 cm to 4.2 mm.
The Foremast:
-the foot reduced from 8.5 mm to 7.2 mm;
-the top to 6.3 mm and over the last 4.5 cm to 4 mm.
The lower parts are left at their thickness, because they become 8-edged at the deck lead-through.
PS: those are short pieces, the rest of the lower mast has already been installed in the forecastle and fish holds.
The Main Topmast:
-the foot from 6.4 mm to 3.9 mm;
-the top from 4.1 mm to 2.5 mm, with a shoulder with a point on the top.
The photo shows the unprocessed Front Topmast that has the same thickness as the Main Topmast.
The latter in particular would have become much too fat.
Continue tomorrow with the lathe.
Regards, Peter
It's slightly disappointing to see that I was right in my suspicion that the masts were too thick.
Nice job with the analysis ánd the actual reduction in diameter of the mast parts. Thumbsup

Started with the bottoms of both masts:
861 Masts.jpg
For clarification, a drawing from The Sage by L.B. Jenson. It is from the BN-II, but nothing has changed there.
At the main boom it is the rest, where the boom with the clapper comes to rest. That clapper is in the gaff jaws. Can be seen in the small drawing at the bottom left. So that the boom slides easily along the mast and does not damage it.
At the foremast it is a pin saddle and the 'gooseneck, a hinged suspension for the boom.

The main boom with the rest and a narrow band around it:
863 Boom rest.jpg
Above the rest, the mast is covered with a piece of imitation 'galvanized sheet' to prevent chafing on the mast.

After that, so-called 'Gooseneck' was made. The boom will be added later so that it can also pivot:
862 Goose.jpg
Also here I could use my small M0.8 bolts and nuts.
The little ring in the middles is for the tack of lower sail edge.

With everything mounted:
864 Pin-Goose.jpg
Also a narrow band around the nail bank.
I've run out of belaying pins. There are 4 more to go in at the back.
regards, Peter

And as compensation for the all-revealing macros, a total picture:
View attachment 326309
Outside with 'natural light' everything is much better reflected.
With as reference a small jar of Humbrol paint.
Regards, Peter
Every time you post the total picture I am truly amazed what you are able to produce on this scale. Very well done.

aaa.jpg
Hi Peter, I've been snowed under at work these past few weeks but now that I've managed to catch up with your build I see that your impeccable modelling standards continue unabated.

Those barrels, for instance, are something else. Either you've got very small hands or you shrunk those barrels in a dryer ROTF

Seriously nice to witness your progress with the Bluenose, the end result is going to be outstanding Thumbsup

Back