YUANQING BLUENOSE - Peter Voogt [COMPLETED BUILD]

The Dories:
The next notable deck items are the dories. The small rowboats that caught the fish.
First I went looking for the color. Especially for the outside.
The Saga: Buff (a light yellow);
mod. Shipw.: Yellow Buff or Orange Buff;
Smith & Rhuland: Buff of Midtan.
Searching for Buff then comes up with: like a brownish undyed leather, possibly in name coming from Buffalo leather. In terms of current tables, RAL1014 comes closest to this.
With the help of the Schmincke mixing tables, this is what it eventually became:
View attachment 324602
With the inside gray, partly as an accent for the white inner beams and shelves.

The walls of the dories in the YQ kit are a kind of 0.4 mm thick veneer. The planks are lasered on it.
If you paint this, it pulls it around almost evenly. Fortunately, it is on the grain that runs in the longitudinal direction. Then paint the inside fairly quickly and everything pulls almost flat again.
View attachment 324603
I modified the dories 'a little':
-the width of the top edge is almost halved;
-3 seat boards / thwarts instead of 2;
-so also 3 sets thole pins;
-deck planks on the floor;
-a rope/becket at the bow and stern;
-block on the sharp point of the bow;
-oars/oars home made, from YQ a bit too coarse, adjusting would be more work;
-on an old photo I saw that the dories at the bow were numbered;
-ends of the long frame beams are attached to the raised deck beam with small angle brackets.
The 'Boom Buffer' can now be seen just behind the dories, in the middle on the edge of the raised aft deck. Scratch made. At the very back of the aft deck the other 'Boom Buffer'.
PS for the 3 thwarts: on the Model Shipways drawings: 2 men per boat - the 3rd thwart permits another rowing position to trim a loaded boat.

View attachment 324604
YQ supplies material for 2 dories. A schooner usually has 8 or more, which are in 2 stacks on the deck. Since my starboard side is 'open', I stacked the 2. And lashed to the frame.
Regards, Peter
Dear Peter
wonderful work, it's looks beautiful model

Stunningly beautiful and sleek. Even though you had built her as a fishing schooner, the mainsail with the No2 would look so good on her!

Beautiful work on those dories!
Your idea of stacking the two dories turns out to be a hit. It also benefits the "openness" of the ship; less visual obstruction.

Stunningly beautiful and sleek. Even though you had built her as a fishing schooner, the mainsail with the No2 would look so good on her!
Thanxs, Heinrich. I estimate that such large sails as on the BN were not cheap. I doubt they had 2 separate sails for both fishing and racing. If there is a sail on the BN, then definitely something with the mainsail and a majestic number. Maybe a 2 .... ;)
Regards, Peter

Beautiful work on those dories!
Your idea of stacking the two dories turns out to be a hit. It also benefits the "openness" of the ship; less visual obstruction.
Thanxs, Johan. The starboard site of the deck is now a bit 'to open'. I have an idea to put 'something' on it. But it won't disturb the open character. I'll have to work it out and see if I like it.
Regards, Peter

When making the Cabin I had already placed the old photo that served as inspiration. I often look at this and the other old photos. So now again:
849 Deck.jpg
The model photo is a bit from the same point of view and a little bit 'outdated'.
Made an oil drum from a thread spool and thin thread. With on top and aside a cap. Attached to the lashing eyes of the cabin.
And in the old stock also found some buckets that now come out pretty good in terms of scale.

In an answer to Johan I already mentioned that I think the deck on the starboard side is a bit too 'open'. Therefore made and placed the 2nd dorie frame:
850 Dorie Frame2.jpg
Small blocks at the bottom and rear as spacers, because the frame must be at the same height as the other.
The rope to fix the dories on it is bundled ready to use.
Also put a bucket in dorie 2. I saw that in one of the old photos too.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
In the old photo in my previous post, in front of the cabin with oil drum, you can see a box that has been built against and around a few barrels. The barrels are fitted with hatches. These are more visible in this photo. Presumably from the same series by W.R. MacAskill:
851 Barrels.jpg
On the model of the BN there is still an open space on the aft deck between the cabin and the fishhold hatches. Then I have to fill it with the box and barrels.
Then I'll have to start making barrels. But on the internet I found the 1:72 set with different sizes of barrels:
852 Barrels.jpg
I have to go wrong if I don't find the right size. :)
The set even includes paints and brushes. But the box and barrels will be the same brown as the fish hold hatches.
Very beautiful, those old photos. I can keep looking at it. And can I continue with the cover filling.........;)
Regards, Peter

Back