YUANQING BLUENOSE - Peter Voogt [COMPLETED BUILD]

I never thought that after so many years I could still practice my grandfather's profession on this scale 1:72: the tubing of fish barrels. :)
It's fascinating how the fit of this set is. Here are a few steps of putting them together:
853 Barrels.jpg
1: after assembling the base parts that slide into each other and the lid and bottom on it, the staves can be applied. Glued together with wood glue, applied with a toothpick;
2: the staves bend nicely against each other in a curved shape;
3: a completed and a assembled base;
4: fitting the hoops, 6 per barrel. Glued with CA, the glue applied with a needle.
5: I first blackened the hoops in the cardboard before cutting them loose;
6: the result of 2 different sizes. I painted them with Schmincke Aero Color 28602, Brasil-Braun.

These are the 5 different sizes:
854 Barrels.jpg
The material for the barrels themselves is contained in A4 sheets of 0.4 and 0.6 mm cardboard. The hoops of 0.25 mm.
I was pleasantly surprised with the dimensions of all parts. Even all the hoops fitted together perfectly around the barrels.
I can heartily recommend this set.
Regards, Peter

The barrels with the attached storage spaces are ready:
855 Barrels.jpg
The whole in Brasil Brown pigment ink from Schmincke. (You'll have to scroll up a bit for the comparison with the old photo.)

The hatch can (of course) open:
856 Barrels.jpg
The barrels are secured with tension straps. The square hatches on the barrels. (No, it stops once, these can't open.)

From the 'built' port side, less barrels and material to the 'open' starboard and aft:
857 Barrels.jpg
All in all, quite a few hours went into it. But I'm happy with it. :)
Regards, Peter

These additions are wonderful and will create a genuine working vessel look in the end. Very nice.
Thanxs, Paul. I hadn't thought of this myself when I started this BN. But along the way I got more and more ideas. Finally managed to realize.
A step further would be 'weathering', as in the old photos. But that then goes towards neglect or something in that direction. But maybe a challenge for someone else.
Regards, Peter

Thanxs, Paul. I hadn't thought of this myself when I started this BN. But along the way I got more and more ideas. Finally managed to realize.
A step further would be 'weathering', as in the old photos. But that then goes towards neglect or something in that direction. But maybe a challenge for someone else.
Regards, Peter
Agreed. Weathering is a thing and needs to be realized from the very beginning in my opinion. Still, it is possible to create the look of a working vessel absent of the weathering. The addition of these small bits began when you starting building out the spaces below the deck. To not include the same level of detail on the deck would have created an artistic inconsistency. I’m just trying to give you credit for being internally consistent. And a talented artist. I hope the translation works here.

The barrels with the attached storage spaces are ready:
View attachment 325445
The whole in Brasil Brown pigment ink from Schmincke. (You'll have to scroll up a bit for the comparison with the old photo.)

The hatch can (of course) open:
View attachment 325446
The barrels are secured with tension straps. The square hatches on the barrels. (No, it stops once, these can't open.)

From the 'built' port side, less barrels and material to the 'open' starboard and aft:
View attachment 325447
All in all, quite a few hours went into it. But I'm happy with it. :)
Regards, Peter
All those fine details bring the model more and more to life. Superbly done.

The barrels and their brown color look superb, but I would have kept the original color of the "cradle" for more contrast between the two. Now it all looks very dark - and on the pictures - I repeat, on the pictures - slightly out of kilter with the rest of your wood finishes. This is, however, just my take - in real life it might look perfect!

The barrels and their brown color look superb, but I would have kept the original color of the "cradle" for more contrast between the two. Now it all looks very dark - and on the pictures - I repeat, on the pictures - slightly out of kilter with the rest of your wood finishes. This is, however, just my take - in real life it might look perfect!
Hi Heinrich. Thanks for your critical eye. I appreciate is, it keeps me sharp.
In terms of dark appearance, it partly has to do with the high contrasts. The dark brown of the wood with the light white of the bulwark and background. A digital chip cannot handle that well.
One more photo for you, with some adjusted lighting:
858 Barrels.jpg

Just a comparison in grayscale:
859 Barrels.jpg
But even with my 24mm lens, I could not make the same point of view. But that has to do with the other types of cameras and lenses from the past.
PS: The dories had no white border. But I did that to stay a bit in the style of the BN itself.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Back