YUANQING BLUENOSE - Peter Voogt [COMPLETED BUILD]

I know you are being told all the time how wonderful this build is - but I hope it hasn't just become background noise to you. This is an epic build. You have my deep respect and admiration. You are inventive and capable of creating what you see or imagine. Enviable traits both.
Thank you for these kind words, Paul. Fore sure, it’s no background noise. :)
I know I haven't made it easy for myself. And what didn't went well, I should have shown to. I have a 'redo-coin pot' too.
As a example: on the previous post 2254, last picture, the back-rope and shroud were at 'half past seven', as we say in Dutch. Not looking forward by turning the BN around. Not yet used to that protruding bowsprit. :confused:
Ploing, the wires sounded.
Ploing, the re-do pot sounded.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
The middle deck with the attributes:
View attachment 323194
-the sky-light for the forecastle, but that does not provide light but ventilation for the galley and stove;
-the chimney above the stove. I will probably shorten it a bit;
- the hatches above the fore and aft fish hold, with lashing eyes on the hatches and deck (removable of course);
-the Fife rail around the mainmast. Self-provided with 2 columns made on the lathe. YQ had provided 1. This also contains the support for the boom of the foremast. Also fitted with snatch blocks on the side;
-the bilge pump, itself equipped with hinge and arm. On starboard the unfinished column of the other pump will point through the hole in the deck;
-the frame for the Dorries on the port side. It will be later secured with lashing eyes and cleats for the Dorries. But I'll finish that when the Dorries are made.
-all belaying pins blackened: thanks for the attention of a Dutch forum member. I also did a test with white ones, but the fittings for the standing and walking rigging are also black. The eyes are also blackened.

The aft deck has also been given a bit more:
View attachment 323195
- the support for the boom of the main boom;
-2 quarter bits.

The view from above:
View attachment 323196
It has become quite full.

And one more from a lower standpoint:
View attachment 323197

I still have to make 2 'Sheet Boom Buffers' to which the two tackles on the back of both booms will be attached. I still have to study how to make it.
Gr. Peter

The middle deck with the attributes:
View attachment 323194
-the sky-light for the forecastle, but that does not provide light but ventilation for the galley and stove;
-the chimney above the stove. I will probably shorten it a bit;
- the hatches above the fore and aft fish hold, with lashing eyes on the hatches and deck (removable of course);
-the Fife rail around the mainmast. Self-provided with 2 columns made on the lathe. YQ had provided 1. This also contains the support for the boom of the foremast. Also fitted with snatch blocks on the side;
-the bilge pump, itself equipped with hinge and arm. On starboard the unfinished column of the other pump will point through the hole in the deck;
-the frame for the Dorries on the port side. It will be later secured with lashing eyes and cleats for the Dorries. But I'll finish that when the Dorries are made.
-all belaying pins blackened: thanks for the attention of a Dutch forum member. I also did a test with white ones, but the fittings for the standing and walking rigging are also black. The eyes are also blackened.

The aft deck has also been given a bit more:
View attachment 323195
- the support for the boom of the main boom;
-2 quarter bits.

The view from above:
View attachment 323196
It has become quite full.

And one more from a lower standpoint:
View attachment 323197

I still have to make 2 'Sheet Boom Buffers' to which the two tackles on the back of both booms will be attached. I still have to study how to make it.
Gr. Peter
Good Morning Peter. You got a blank post....finger troubles :rolleyes:. The accolades received are well deserved. Brilliant work. The detail work you have achieved on this beautiful Bluenose is "off the charts". Well done. Cheers Grant

;)Good Morning Peter. You got a blank post....finger troubles :rolleyes:. The accolades received are well deserved. Brilliant work. The detail work you have achieved on this beautiful Bluenose is "off the charts". Well done. Cheers Grant
Thanks, Grant.
I think it's kind of the same with your build of the Victory. But also many others. You start with the build, not foreseeing where it would lead. One thing leads to another and before you know it ‘things get out of hand’.;)
Regards, Peter

I was just checking in and catching up on your build log…and I am very happy and impressed with your progress and accomplishments Peter!
The detail just never ends! You are making such a great example of detail at scale on the BN. I don’t think there is much more anyone could possibly add. Just fantastic!

I was just checking in and catching up on your build log…and I am very happy and impressed with your progress and accomplishments Peter!
The detail just never ends! You are making such a great example of detail at scale on the BN. I don’t think there is much more anyone could possibly add. Just fantastic!
Thanks for catching up and compliments, Dean. Now fiddling and scratching with the dories and …… some additions on the deck.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
The Dories:
The next notable deck items are the dories. The small rowboats that caught the fish.
First I went looking for the color. Especially for the outside.
The Saga: Buff (a light yellow);
mod. Shipw.: Yellow Buff or Orange Buff;
Smith & Rhuland: Buff of Midtan.
Searching for Buff then comes up with: like a brownish undyed leather, possibly in name coming from Buffalo leather. In terms of current tables, RAL1014 comes closest to this.
With the help of the Schmincke mixing tables, this is what it eventually became:
845 Dories.jpg
With the inside gray, partly as an accent for the white inner beams and shelves.

The walls of the dories in the YQ kit are a kind of 0.4 mm thick veneer. The planks are lasered on it.
If you paint this, it pulls it around almost evenly. Fortunately, it is on the grain that runs in the longitudinal direction. Then paint the inside fairly quickly and everything pulls almost flat again.
846 Dories.jpg
I modified the dories 'a little':
-the width of the top rail is almost halved;
-3 seat boards / thwarts instead of 2;
-so also 3 sets thole pins;
-deck planks on the floor;
-a rope/becket at the bow and stern;
-block on the sharp point of the bow;
-oars/oars home made, from YQ a bit too coarse, adjusting would be more work;
-on an old photo I saw that the dories at the bow were numbered;
-ends of the long frame beams are attached to the raised deck beam with small angle brackets.
The 'Boom Buffer' can now be seen just behind the dories, in the middle on the edge of the raised aft deck. Scratch made. At the very back of the aft deck the other 'Boom Buffer'.
PS for the 3 thwarts: on the Model Shipways drawings: 2 men per boat - the 3rd thwart permits another rowing position to trim a loaded boat.

847 Dories.jpg
YQ supplies material for 2 dories. A schooner usually has 8 or more, which are in 2 stacks on the deck.
The Bluenose has "two sets of six two-man 16-foot dories, enough for the Bluenose to cover a dozen square miles of water in one pass.", as quoted by Mark de Villiers in his 'Witch in de Wind (pag. 122).
Since my starboard side is 'open', I stacked the 2. And lashed to the frame.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Gorgeous work Peter! It is starting to look like a photograph of an actual ship! Your attention to detail is outstanding! I absolutely love it! ;)
Thanks for your nice words, Dean. Often during the build I find more details of the pictures and drawings. But one day extra ……. with a satisfactory result.
Regards, Peter

Brilliant Peter. Well researched and well-constructed.
Thanx, Paul. The research is ‘a thing’. In the books a lot off English technical nautical terms. Not all of which can be directly translated and not all are in my Dutch modeling books. Too specific 'Schooner - Grand Banks Fishery' terms. But fortunately we have old pictures ……
Regards, Peter

Back