YUANQING BLUENOSE - Peter Voogt [COMPLETED BUILD]

Wow! Excellent photos of a phenomenal build! Congrats Peter, you really have built the BN model to set the bar! ;)
Thanks for the compliments, Dean.
Sure, I ‘set a bar’. But please for all the others BN builders: it’s not THE bar and it’s not THE standerd, (or all the other nice qualifications I saw passing by.)
Please go on with the build of your BN’s and keep on posting in your build-log’s. For sure I like every build, because you are building. And when my build is inspiring you to raise your bar for a detail of a part, then that just makes me very happy.
Regards, Peter

Thanks for the compliments, Dean.
Sure, I ‘set a bar’. But please for all the others BN builders: it’s not THE bar and it’s not THE standerd, (or all the other nice qualifications I saw passing by.)
Please go on with the build of your BN’s and keep on posting in your build-log’s. For sure I like every build, because you are building. And when my build is inspiring you to raise your bar for a detail of a part, then that just makes me very happy.
Regards, Peter

This one is THE standard and THE bar period! :cool:

Made a start with the showcase by collecting the necessary materials.

On the OcCre site I found these profiles:
01 Glaslat.jpg
They are 15x15mm / .59"x.59" with 3mm / .12" rabbets.
That was just a bit too thick. Put through the thicknesser at a friend of mine to 12.5x12.5mm / .49"x.49". Not much off but just enough to make it more slender. On the right there is 2mm plexiglass. The corners are still chamfered.

OcCre also had these corner reinforcements:
02 Hoek.jpg
But on those coming up? It also depends on how that will look and how neatly I can make the corner joints.

Bought this from a large store for LED strips:
03 Unit.jpg
-3 meters of 2-tone white dimmable LED strip, 60 double LEDs per meter
-'controller'
-battery
I already had the remote control for the LED on the Robt. E Lee.

The LED strips can be cut every 10cm /3.94".
With the soft-tone LED's:
04 Bodem.jpg
With the white LED's:
04 BodemA.jpg
For my Bluenose that will be a rectangle of 80x20cm / 31.49"x7.88".
The LEDs draw sharply here, but gonne lie in the glass seam.

I fixed the LED strip on a temporary shelf to measure various sizes. I have to take into account the coupling pieces:
05 Strip.jpg
Schematically, an inner plate and the profile slats will be placed on the outside against the LEDs, so that a slot of 3 mm wide and 3 mm high is created.
06 Strip+Hout.jpg
The glass plates will fall into this, with the glazing bars resting on the corner pieces. Rubber blocks are placed between the LEDs to prevent the weight of the glass from resting on the LEDs.

I now have to measure these parts, taking into account the width of the LEDs of 4.9mm / .19".
-the base plate on which the LED strips are glued.
-the inner plate that will fall over the ground bond of the LED strip until just slightly over the inside of the LEDs. And protrudes 3 mm above the LEDs.
-the profile on the outside that falls in a similar way to just slightly over the outside of the LEDs, also 3 mm above it.
-the thickness of the profile on the outside is as high as the thickness of the base plate and the inner plate.

Anyway, still a lot to measure and puzzle.
Regards, Peter

With the ultimate intended result: The Pull-Apart-Model:
View attachment 371035
View attachment 371036

Her imposing bow:
View attachment 371037

Whereby you can now also see the inside-bottom:
View attachment 371038

A little zoomed in and with some details.
The front:
View attachment 371039
The Middle:
View attachment 371040
The aft:
View attachment 371041

With the open Main Cabin to look inside:
View attachment 371042
View attachment 371043

More to come ......
Wow. I can look at these all day.

Made a start with the showcase by collecting the necessary materials.

On the OcCre site I found these profiles:
View attachment 372729
They are 15x15mm / .59"x.59" with 3mm / .12" rabbets.
That was just a bit too thick. Put through the thicknesser at a friend of mine to 12.5x12.5mm / .49"x.49". Not much off but just enough to make it more slender. On the right there is 2mm plexiglass. The corners are still chamfered.

OcCre also had these corner reinforcements:
View attachment 372730
But on those coming up? It also depends on how that will look and how neatly I can make the corner joints.

Bought this from a large store for LED strips:
View attachment 372731
-3 meters of 2-tone white dimmable LED strip, 60 double LEDs per meter
-'controller'
-battery
I already had the remote control for the LED on the Robt. E Lee.

The LED strips can be cut every 10cm /3.94".
With the soft-tone LED's:
View attachment 372732
With the white LED's:
View attachment 372733
For my Bluenose that will be a rectangle of 80x20cm / 31.49"x7.88".
The LEDs draw sharply here, but gonne lie in the glass seam.

I fixed the LED strip on a temporary shelf to measure various sizes. I have to take into account the coupling pieces:
View attachment 372734
Schematically, an inner plate and the profile slats will be placed on the outside against the LEDs, so that a slot of 3 mm wide and 3 mm high is created.
View attachment 372735
The glass plates will fall into this, with the glazing bars resting on the corner pieces. Rubber blocks are placed between the LEDs to prevent the weight of the glass from resting on the LEDs.

I now have to measure these parts, taking into account the width of the LEDs of 4.9mm / .19".
-the base plate on which the LED strips are glued.
-the inner plate that will fall over the ground bond of the LED strip until just slightly over the inside of the LEDs. And protrudes 3 mm above the LEDs.
-the profile on the outside that falls in a similar way to just slightly over the outside of the LEDs, also 3 mm above it.
-the thickness of the profile on the outside is as high as the thickness of the base plate and the inner plate.

Anyway, still a lot to measure and puzzle.
Regards, Peter
Have you thought how you will accomplish the joinery? Are you just going to depend on the brass corners to hold the frames together?

Those Leds will make for a stunning presentation. Will you have any on the top of the display case shining down?
Hi Daniel. The LED’s shine from the bottom upwards through the vertical glasses and will radiate slightly to the side. That will certainly reflex a bit via the top flat glass and hopefully give some extra lighting from above. That’s the theory ……. ;)
Regards, Peter

Have you thought how you will accomplish the joinery? Are you just going to depend on the brass corners to hold the frames together?
Hi Phil.
My starting point is everything mitered with double 45 dgr on all the profiles on all 4 corners. But that will require precise calculations for the dimensions of the glass that is in the recessed recesses. But I have all the time.
Have the brass corners come along just to be sure.
Regards, Peter

Hi Phil.
My starting point is everything mitered with double 45 dgr on all the profiles on all 4 corners. But that will require precise calculations for the dimensions of the glass that is in the recessed recesses. But I have all the time.
Have the brass corners come along just to be sure.
Regards, Peter
It'll be beautiful. Glass or acrylic? Either way, it'll be better than dust huh? Looking forward to seeing pics!

Simply magnificent work Peter! The photos of your unique BN photos are sensational and, naturally, you have set a bar in excellence that leaves the rest of us in the shade :confused:

Simply magnificent work Peter! The photos of your unique BN photos are sensational and, naturally, you have set a bar in excellence that leaves the rest of us in the shade :confused:
Thanks for this nice words, Mark.
About this quote:
You have set a bar ……. that leaves the rest of us in the shade
How can an elegant Bluenose that produced so little shade, cast it over so many Bluenose's from other builders?
They all deserve the high-light Explosion, please keep on adding your build-log’s!
Regards, Peter

Not much to mention, still preparing. An intermediate step to show the whole process.

Removed the connectors in the corners of the LED strips. Because of the thickness and width I would have to saw quite a few recesses in the inner plate and side profiles. The LED strip connected together with soldered wires:
07 Solderen.jpg
First some solder on the contact points, then the wires. The rubber blocks will later be added to the arrows to support the glass and that this glass does not press on the LEDs.

Saw a test with the showcase parts.
First made a number of square pieces of exactly 100mm/3.937" from 3mm perspex.
Then sawn 3 slats with the double corners.
Those parts put together:
08 Hoek.jpg
With some fine tuning I think it will work without metal corner pieces. Just the wood is more neat.
With 2 perspex squares per side in the 2 corners, I can measure the size of the glass = 2x the 100 mm of the two pieces of perspex + the space in between.

Now first saw the bottom plate so that I will use it as a starting point. A mm more or less will soon make a lot of difference when sawing the profiles and the size of the windows.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Back