ZHL Le Soleil Royal

Good morning Jay. I love the planking on your model, it is very effective. Wow I wonder how many resin parts you have made so far….definitely a better option than all that brass. Cheers Grant
Grant, thanks. This ship isn’t light weight to begin with, I can’t imagine imagine how heavy it would be with all the metal bling. I have made hundreds of the resin parts for this counting the ones that didn’t come out correctly. It definitely wasn’t a cost effective decision.

Grant, thanks. This ship isn’t light weight to begin with, I can’t imagine imagine how heavy it would be with all the metal bling. I have made hundreds of the resin parts for this counting the ones that didn’t come out correctly. It definitely wasn’t a cost effective decision.
Truth be told, the entire hobby isn't cost effective, in my opinion, but it's invaluable as far as mental health goes. and it's also a lot of fun.

Hello Jay. Little suggestion from me,if you want add some realism.On Tanneron's Soleil those frames aren't so big. You just need to cut a little bit. I would also thinn down coats of arms to 2mm maybe 3mm. Despite being lightweight they look clumsy, buuut it's only my suggestion. Cheers

View attachment 402822
View attachment 402823
WojtasS, thanks for the suggestion but because of a muscle disease I have doing that would be too much of a struggle for me. I try to build the kit for therapy and barely get the basics done. You should see me when I do the rigging, quite comical. I did enjoy Poland when I was there several years ago especially found the salt mines fascinating.

WojtasS, thanks for the suggestion but because of a muscle disease I have doing that would be too much of a struggle for me. I try to build the kit for therapy and barely get the basics done. You should see me when I do the rigging, quite comical. I did enjoy Poland when I was there several years ago especially found the salt mines fascinating.
You're doing quite good, nothing to be ashamed of. Building ship model of that size and complication can be a challange for a avrage person, so that's even more respect for you. When I was a child I went on school trip to Wieliczka very unique experience, I still remember that like it was yesterday. If you ever plan going to Poland try visiting Castle Książ in Wałbrzych, it not olny has great historic artefacts, there's also Riese complex for sightseeing left "thanks" to Germans after WWII

I was supposed to go to Australia and New Zealand for 2 months with my wife for our 50th wedding anniversary but we got word that the trip was canceled due to the virus. I didn’t end up with a tee shirt but I did get this kit. Unfortunately the instructions are on CD and I don’t have a computer so I found someone with a cd rom and took pictures of the screen with my camera and transferred the pictures to my iPad. Didn’t turn out all that great but it is better than nothing and hopefully the other build logs of the Soleil will help. The cd kinda looks like a mini 45 rpm record. View attachment 171340
For a second, I thought this was an old 45rpm vinyl record; Now that's an OLD media format. LOL

You're doing quite good, nothing to be ashamed of. Building ship model of that size and complication can be a challange for a avrage person, so that's even more respect for you. When I was a child I went on school trip to Wieliczka very unique experience, I still remember that like it was yesterday. If you ever plan going to Poland try visiting Castle Książ in Wałbrzych, it not olny has great historic artefacts, there's also Riese complex for sightseeing left "thanks" to Germans after WWII
Yes, the salt mine in Wieliczka is where I went. If I remember, to descend we had to walk down spiral stairs, I think about 850 steps. Visits to the salt mine and Auschwitz will stay with me till the day I die.

Finished planking the starboard bell. Dry fitting the flagpole stand, that will need some reworking as the parts I have are dimensionally challenged. Thanks Grant, I tried putting arrows and text on a picture and it worked because of your explanation on how to do it.

IMG_1853.jpeg

I also completed the fencing for the balconies.

IMG_1854.jpeg

Back