Dr. Y Bluenose [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hello. Posting a small update. Have been working on masts, booms and gaffs. I think ? I am ready to start the rigging. I have been checking out all of your build logs, and done some further updates. I am not new to rigging but hope to do a better job on this model than previous efforts. I have installed some 4 mm blocks from Dry Dock and they are a bit small. Ordered some more 5 mm but they take three weeks to reach me here in California (our land of sunshine, flowers, drought, fires and earthquakes), but I have the time to wait. I will start on the main mast and possibly the bowsprit after that. Does anyone have a good source for turnbuckles? I will have to add to the bowsprit for the rigging which should have been anticipated and done earlier.
I send a big shout out and thank you to all who have encouraged me and shared their skills on their logs, Dean, Peter, Piero, RobertD, and others. Many thanks!
Some photos are attached. I am not planning on sails. IMG_0947.JPGIMG_0946.JPGIMG_0951.JPGIMG_0950.JPGIMG_0949.JPGIMG_0948.JPG

And now she's almost a sailing ship, almost... Looking good.
Not related to your build, but has anybody been checking the diameters of the masts, booms and gaffs?
I haven't yet, but sometimes I think they may be a bit too thick.

Hello. Posting a small update. Have been working on masts, booms and gaffs. I think ? I am ready to start the rigging. I have been checking out all of your build logs, and done some further updates. I am not new to rigging but hope to do a better job on this model than previous efforts. I have installed some 4 mm blocks from Dry Dock and they are a bit small. Ordered some more 5 mm but they take three weeks to reach me here in California (our land of sunshine, flowers, drought, fires and earthquakes), but I have the time to wait. I will start on the main mast and possibly the bowsprit after that. Does anyone have a good source for turnbuckles? I will have to add to the bowsprit for the rigging which should have been anticipated and done earlier.
I send a big shout out and thank you to all who have encouraged me and shared their skills on their logs, Dean, Peter, Piero, RobertD, and others. Many thanks!
Some photos are attached. I am not planning on sails. View attachment 308249View attachment 308250View attachment 308251View attachment 308252View attachment 308253View attachment 308254
Nice to see her growing into hight, Phil.
Not related to your build, but has anybody been checking the diameters of the masts, booms and gaffs?
I haven't yet, but sometimes I think they may be a bit too thick.
In The Saga on page 116-177, all the dimensions of the parts are documented (For the BN-II). ;) (I turned off ‘my bowsrpit’ abit.)
Regards, Peter

Hello Shipmates. Thought I would post an update. Appreciate anyone who views these posts of mine. I have been working a bit more the past few days, because a teaching obligation I have is over now for the summer. SCHOOL IS OUT!
Below is the ships bell, reworked a bit but I am not sure it is much better.

IMG_0969.JPG

Next some images of the bowsprit stays. I just added a couple of turnbuckles on each side which I found on ebay. In my view they dress is up a bit, although I am not trying to make the model exactly historically correct. May not be possible anyway. IMG_0966.JPGIMG_0967.JPG

Looking great, Phil!
Just out of curiosity, it's something I noted on a couple of occasions; the masts, gaffs and booms appear to be too thick, at least when comparing the old photograps (dangerous, I know...) with what's in the kit. Did you check the diameters of all the spars, or did you use the spars as supplied by YQ?

Back