Glad Tidings Pinky by DUncan - Model Shipways - 1:24 Scale

Will I did it. Those who have been following this build know how reluctant I have been about painting. I am very pleased with the way this looks. It is ModelExpo Hull Copper Red MS4814. I plan to water down the second coat to catch what I missed with the first coat but not hide the planking.
View attachment 320249
Good morning Duncan- that is an awesome below the waterline color- almost rustic copper red From the photo. Good thinking re the paint as it is always nice to see the planking through. Cheers Grant

The rudder and hardware are almost finished. (The Pleiades Olympia, WA has a small motor. Thus the prop. )

Looking for some way to simulate the bolts that hold all this together. The nails in the kit are much to small. Maybe some 1 to 1.5 mm brass rod might work.
3F1C2EFF-FC44-4253-9040-DCE46A7A6B42.jpeg9FCC9808-7A0C-4B57-9B2E-5DF1F95FDBD4.jpeg

Starting the bulwark.

The directions says “the bulwark will probably be the most difficult construction task on this particular model”. Just reading the directions has my head spinning. Now I understand why most of the building logs I have viewed for this model on SOS and other ship model sites never finish. I hope I will not be on that list. Olha made it look so easy.

To simulate bolts for the rudder hinges I used 1.5 mm stainless ballbearings.

Using the ball cutter I made a divot in the brass to location the bolts (aka ballbearings).
FE6500A9-0297-45B2-99B8-9AA6FB04D110.jpeg
Then a little yellow glue from the syringe. The 1.5 mm ball is difficult to pickup. Just put the twisters into the bag and you will catch a ball. The glue acts like a magnet so it is easy to position the ball in the divot.

AD4F490E-122F-40A5-AAB8-9CDDF32F63FA.jpeg

The glue does not hold the ball for serious abuse because they are stainless steel but the primer and paint will secure them well enough for display purposes.

Still working on the bulwarks.

Last edited:
Progress report.
There’s must be a number of solutions for building the bulwarks. This is mine.

First the aft bulwark section was built.
AA9CB005-EF21-4646-BCED-822914A1EE26.jpeg
Then stanchions G through Q were glued in place and the aft bulwark was glued in place along with stanchions R and S.
A3CC7723-AB89-4AE3-B359-CDD595261BBA.jpeg
Then all the forward stanchions, A through F, were glued in place using the angles indicated on drawing 2. Next a rough build of the “hawse timber & knight head” on the forward bulwark was built and glued just between the bowsprit and stanchion A. When it was secure (over night) the bulwark was bent and glued against the forward stanchions.
4BA8D223-DB56-4F4A-9741-80763C4EB325.jpeg

3FE4BAE2-7966-4E53-BB3C-AD1ADF17ED7F.jpeg
To cut all the stanchions to the same high. I drilled a hole in a metal bar 1/8” thick and placed it over the stanchion and cut it off with a Dremel cut-off disk.
BC03DDFA-9FA1-4702-A30D-B4B7AF4AD6EB.jpeg

Well, it just arrived. I am very excited. This is going to be a challenge for me. I have read a lot of build logs and my conclusion is, when I finish this build, I will have learned much about model ship building. It look like only half of those that started this build acturally finish.

First question: how do you flatten out the plans?
Hallo @Duncan
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Thanks for the will wishes. The Pinky keeps call me to work on her. This has been a very busy summer. I am looking forward to the
Autumn so I can start again working on the hull painting and the rigging. I think I will try to get the hull secured to the display stand soon.

Back