HMS Bounty 1:48 Made to Harold Hahn Plans

Looks good! Don't forget to turn the chimney forward! (As it is shown on the AoS drawing too)
János
Janos,
the wind blows from the stern so as the ship moves forward the actual wind created by the forward movement is greater than the wind from the stern thus the stack opening faces towards the stern. see the attached admiralty drawing of bounty. also see the actual picture of the USS Constitution. the stack faces aft as does the BountyAdmiralty_Sheer_Draught_Ship_Plans_-_HMS_Bounty.jpg5a16ee0537ab5_med_gallery_5855_780_587971.jpg.c1d5c1ea39bfe10cf1f1d2de024c70ff.jpg1931Underway-1024x789.jpg

Usually when the wind is blowing, the speed of the wind is faster than the moving ship following the direction of the wind.
Therefore the opening would be usually towards the stern
But the top parts of the chimneys were usually round and the direction of the opening was possible to adjust - f.e. in harbour or anchoring

IMG_36331.jpg DSCN04361.jpg

BTW: also McKay is showing in his book the chimney of the Bounty looking forward

IMG_28281.jpg

IMG_28301.jpg

thank you for the info i knew they were adjustable. i am following the admiralty drawing so i will be putting it on facing stern. there really is no "wrong Way" to show it. thank you for the info and your input greatly appreciated... Lester

decided to switch gears for a bit dry fitted frames 1 and 2 to the stem. glue stick pattern to maple board 1/4 thick rough cut on band saw then final shape on my drum sanding station on my drill press

View attachment 220955View attachment 220956

decided to switch gears for a bit dry fitted frames 1 and 2 to the stem. glue stick pattern to maple board 1/4 thick rough cut on band saw then final shape on my drum sanding station on my drill press

View attachment 220955View attachment 220956
Hello, I am a new member and I intend to start building the Bounty following what you have done. I would like to have some info about the availability of the related drawings of all frames as shown in these yr photos. I acquired The armed transport Bounty of John Mckay but there are no details on the singles frames. Could you help me on how to get them . Thanking you in advance.

Hello, I am a new member and I intend to start building the Bounty following what you have done. I would like to have some info about the availability of the related drawings of all frames as shown in these yr photos. I acquired The armed transport Bounty of John Mckay but there are no details on the singles frames. Could you help me on how to get them . Thanking you in advance.
please email me and i will try to help you out..........lesterpalifka@gmail.com

Had the launch at this point once already. i used mahogany strips for the ribs and they ended up splintered and twisted. i tour it all apart and started over again.
i switched over to basswood and soaked them in water and formed them on the strong back. The launch came out much better. I included a comparison picture of the 1/16 Bounty launch i build with the 1/48 scale launch. what i did was i redrew the 1/16 plans in autocad to 1/48 scale cut the parts and this is the end result....
now to finish the planking.IMG_5693 - Copy.jpgIMG_5694.jpgIMG_5695.jpgIMG_5696.jpgIMG_5697 (1).jpg

Starting to build the HMS Bounty. I have started to cut the frames out I currently have 18 Frames roughed out out of the 42 required.
I bought a steam generator and built a steam box to steam the planks for bending. I also bought a thin rip jig for my table saw to mill my own planks.
I had to make a zero insert for the saw as Skilsaw doesn't make one for this model saw which i just bought 4 months ago. I set up a frame roughing station
to rough out the frames. So now it starts. I will need plenty of advice and help on this so i plan to keep this thread going...Thanks in advance. you know what has really helpd me in my modeling has been my work on the Morgan restoration.......
Hallo @lesterpalifka
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Thank you all for the birthday wishes. i have been busy making a base for a model of the USS Confederacy for the Slater museum in Norwich Connecticut. here are some pics of it it is all oakbase2.jpgIMG_5972.JPGIMG_5975.JPGIMG_5976.JPGIMG_5978.JPGIMG_5987.JPGstand1.JPGOrca Plans.jpgOrca Plans1.jpg. Been busy with this and also drawing plans for a 1/20 scale Orca from jaws for a friend of mine. a pic of the plans attached

Back