HMS Bounty 1:48 Made to Harold Hahn Plans

In real life yes, they are single thickness, but for modeling purposes, oftentimes a double layer will work just fine. A great example where a double layer will work better is exactly as @Gennaro mentioned when using Ebony as the wale plank. It is very difficult to work with, and hard to bend. So modeler would use a thinner Ebony plank on top of the thicker Pear or linden or lime wood. Obviously, the sim will be hidden between the hull planks.

In real life yes, they are single thickness, but for modeling purposes, oftentimes a double layer will work just fine. A great example where a double layer will work better is exactly as @Gennaro mentioned when using Ebony as the wale plank. It is very difficult to work with, and hard to bend. So modeler would use a thinner Ebony plank on top of the thicker Pear or linden or lime wood. Obviously, the sim will be hidden between the hull planks.
I mill my own planks i can make it one thickness i have a bunch of 2x4 I plane down to what thickness i need. i made steam box for bending so thickness is no problem. if anyone want the steam box plans i drew a set in autocad and have it as a pdf file for anyone who wants it you can adjust the dimensions to make it any size you want.IMG_4317.JPG

Starting to build the HMS Bounty. I have started to cut the frames out I currently have 18 Frames roughed out out of the 42 required.
I bought a steam generator and built a steam box to steam the planks for bending. I also bought a thin rip jig for my table saw to mill my own planks.
I had to make a zero insert for the saw as Skilsaw doesn't make one for this model saw which i just bought 4 months ago. I set up a frame roughing station
to rough out the frames. So now it starts. I will need plenty of advice and help on this so i plan to keep this thread going...Thanks in advance. you know what has really helpd me in my modeling has been my work on the Morgan restoration.......

View attachment 218318View attachment 218320View attachment 218322View attachment 218324View attachment 218326View attachment 218327View attachment 218328View attachment 218329View attachment 218330
テクニックが素晴らしいです。

You are preparing a real good basis for the final planking - looking very good

Back