HMS Fly Build (Amati) 1:64 by Nomad

Good morning Mark. Yep- these ships…one plank, one block, one line at a time. We are insane! White paint on the hull…when I painted my little boats for my Victory white paint accentuated all my faults. I thought I had the planking spot on and then…… the white paint is like a fault magnifier ROTF .What ever epiphany you have, if it is white check that hull out again and again before painting. Cheers Grant
'Fault Magnifier' was a title that my camera had enjoyed exclusively up until now. Now White Paint is the new kid on the block and it's game on. I wonder which of the two can highlight my flaws the most? ROTF

Hello Mark,

With respect to the paint or no-paint topic; with my current BN build this question also arose, especially the Admiral was quite focal in stating that paint would hide too much from what's underneath. Unfortunately the LH (closed) side of the hull required some filler, to cover up a poor sanding job. This meant the no-paint option went flying. Now, having painted the port side, I find myself being attracted to the painted side; the selected paint colors are breathtaking, if I may say so myself. And the beauty of the Bluenose remains....
So, my personal opinion is that painting (part of) your HMS Fly will enhance her beauty.

Kind regards,

Johan
Thanks for sharing that Johan. It seems I've opened a can of worms with this to-paint-or-not-to-paint dilemma :) At this stage I think I could go either way, although I suspect it will come down to gut feel. A bit like hanging a picture frame against a wall. Only you will know when you have it straight. Even if it isn't ROTF

The second layer of planking above the wales is complete. This was a similar task to planking below the wales although the planks did not require any tapering. For consistency the same walnut plank was used from bow to stern despite the interruption of the gun port openings, and its colour was mirrored on both sides of the hull even though of these upper strakes will eventually be adorned with various trimmings and decorations.

0525_20221019_hms_fly.jpg

It is no small relief that the flimsy bulwarks, miraculously undamaged after the slings and arrows of the planking process, are now thickened and immeasurably strengthened by the external wall of planking. And they will be fortified even further once the planking on the inner side of the bulwarks is complete.

0530_20221019_hms_fly.jpg

I cut the planks as I went, and only left a slight overhang at the openings to minimise the work required to cut and shape the row and gun ports afterwards. This was a good move, especially if like me you only have hand tools at your disposal to do the cutting and shaping :p

0535_20221019_hms_fly.jpg

That then completes the second layer of planking. A well-timed milestone I suppose. The shipyard will be closed for the next six weeks as the admiral, my son and I travel to South Africa to visit my dear old mother who turned ninety this year, although I will endeavour to keep up with the other build logs while we are away. Happy modelling everyone Thumbsup

0540_20221019_hms_fly.jpg

Last edited:
This is looking great, Mark
It's clear to see a lot of TLC and considerations went into this build so far.
Enjoy your stay in South Africa.

Take care and stay safe,
Johan

The second layer of planking above the wales is complete. This was a similar task to planking below the wales although the planks did not require any tapering. For consistency the same walnut plank was used from bow to stern despite the interruption of the gun port openings, and its colour was mirrored on both sides of the hull even though of these upper strakes will eventually be adorned with various trimmings and decorations.

View attachment 335321

It is no small relief that the flimsy bulwarks, miraculously undamaged after the slings and arrows of the planking process, are now thickened and immeasurably strengthened by the external wall of planking. And they will be fortified even further once the planking on the inner side of the bulwarks is complete.

View attachment 335322

I cut the planks as I went, and only left a slight overhang at the openings to minimise the work required to cut and shape the row and gun ports afterwards. This was a good move, especially if like me you only have hand tools at your disposal to do the cutting and shaping :p

View attachment 335323

That then completes the second layer of planking. A well-timed milestone I suppose. The shipyard will be closed for the next six weeks as the admiral, my son and I travel to South Africa to visit my dear old mother who turned ninety this year, although I will endeavour to keep up with the other build logs while we are away. Happy modelling everyone Thumbsup

View attachment 335324
Good morning Mark. Excellent planking. You must be super chuffed. If you heading to Cape Town in your travels you guys must come over to my place for a braai and a castle or two. Cheers Grant

View attachment 335321

View attachment 335322

View attachment 335323

View attachment 335324
The planking looks nice, Mark.
Have a nice trip in the lovely South Africa.
Regards, Peter

Good morning Mark. Excellent planking. You must be super chuffed. If you heading to Cape Town in your travels you guys must come over to my place for a braai and a castle or two. Cheers Grant
There's nothing I'd like better Grant, appreciate the gesture. After a few castles we might better understand why all the nautical terms on the ship sounds like a zoo ROTF. We'll be based on the KwaZulu south coast and no plans for Cape Town at this stage, much as I'd love to, but plans can change quickly and I will be sure to give you a buzz if we do swing by that way Thumbsup

My friend, your planking of the Fly looks beautiful - you can be very well pleased with that. Enjoy your trip to South Africa and give your mom lots of hugs and kisses!

Just a small bit of progress before the shipyard closes for the next six weeks. With the second layer of planking complete on the outer hull I could use my very useful veneer saw to remove the bulwark extensions in the waist and sand them flush to the level of the gun deck.

0545_20221027_hms_fly.jpg

The remainder of the gun deck could then be planked right up to the bulwarks in preparation for the inner bulwark planking, which as I understand it will introduce 'spirketing' and 'quickworks' to my inexhaustible vault of nautical terminology.

0550_20221027_hms_fly.jpg

But more on all of that later :)

Last edited:
Very good and clean work indeed and excellent planking against the bulwarks. It is always satisfying to me when I can saw those unsightly frame extensions into oblivion!

Just a small bit of progress before the shipyard closes for the next six weeks. With the second layer of planking complete on the outer hull I could use my very useful veneer saw to remove the bulwark extensions in the waist and sand them flush to the level of the gun deck.

View attachment 336726

The remainder of the gun deck could then be planked right up to the bulwarks in preparation for the inner bulwark planking, which as I understand it will introduce 'spirketing' and 'quickworks' to my inexhaustible vault of nautical terminology.

View attachment 336727

But more on all of that later :)
Nice tool!

Back