HMS Vanguard 1787 1:72 a Victory Models kit

Hi Bren

No the filler between the ribs (bulkheads) is balsa wood blocks. Using fillers helps provide stability and makes the fairing (filing) of the bulkheads easier to obtain the best curves and lines of the hull. It is particularly helpful at the stem and stern of the ship.
Balsa is light and easy to shape but not inexpensive, so I use it in the most critical areas.

PS I love your dog. Is it a German Shepherd.
Thank you for the info

Good morning. I really like the way Victory Models designed the stern and quarter galleries. It gives it the perfect shape and volume if one wants a look through effect. You are “owning” the build of these galleries. The stern on these British ships of war is so difficult to get right. Awesome work. Cheers Grant

Hi Chestcutter,
I think the black looks great! What guns guns did you purchase? I would also like to replace the gun carriages that came with the Amati kit.
might worth taking a look at vanguard since chris watton is the original architect of this kit hes had fitting for this scale cannon look amazing ,i waiting for my vanguard model to arrive then will get the cannon from chris

IMG_3636.jpegIMG_3638.jpegIMG_3639.jpegI have installed all the upper gun deck guns. I fully rigged the ones that will be viewable beneath the landing boats. The others just have the main breaching rope.
I still have to make the rope coils, 3 for each of the mid deck guns, which have proven to be somewhat challenging.
The height between the deck and the lower sill of the gunports is very variable and so many of the guns needed the wheels ground down. This may have been due to mistakes in my build of the gunports lower sills, but I’m not sure.

View attachment 405486View attachment 405487View attachment 405488I have installed all the upper gun deck guns. I fully rigged the ones that will be viewable beneath the landing boats. The others just have the main breaching rope.
I still have to make the rope coils, 3 for each of the mid deck guns, which have proven to be somewhat challenging.
The height between the deck and the lower sill of the gunports is very variable and so many of the guns needed the wheels ground down. This may have been due to mistakes in my build of the gunports lower sills, but I’m not sure.
Hi Chestcutter,
have been following your build intently as Started on Vanguard about 2 moths ago. I am halfway through 1 st planking. It does appear that the height of gunport sills is not your mistake as I encountered the same problem. When I was fitting linings I happened to check cannon heights & found the problem then. As a result I filed the inner edge of the upper linings & will file a small flat on the cannon wheels. This combination,I think, solves the problem. Which cannons did you use from Vanguard Models. I was thinking of just replacing the ones most visible. Keep up the good work !
Regards
Steve

Last edited:
Hi Chestcutter,
have been following your build intently as Started on Vanguard about 2 moths ago. I am halfway through 1 st planking. It does appear that the height of gunport sills is not your mistake as I encountered the same problem. When I was fitting linings I happened to check cannon heights & found the problem then. As a result I filed the inner edge of the upper linings & will file a small flat on the cannon wheels. This combination,I think, solves the problem. Which cannons did you use from Vanguard Models. I was thinking of just replacing the ones most visible. Keep up the good work !
Regards
Steve
Thanks for your comments Steve, and for taking an interest in my build thread.
I found that the gun ports that were most affected were the middle 8. The three cannons at the stem were ok and the first one actually needed elevating, as I try to have the barrel sit in the middle of the port.
The cannons I used were an amalgamation of Caldercraft (extra purchase) gun barrels on modified gun carts (Victory/Amati) that came with the kit, not Vanguard (company) cannons but from the Vanguard kit . The modifications that I did to the barrels is shown earlier in my thread #92.
I would love to see photos of your Vanguard build, as it is always a pleasure to see a model ship take shape, and we all bring something unique to a build.

Well have almost finished the upper gun deck.
The rope coil turntable proved to be very effective and managed to do four coils at once.

IMG_3673.jpeg

Also added a brick plinth for the stove. Finished the 8 fully rigged guns. Cannon balls in the shot garland.

IMG_3676.jpegIMG_3677.jpegIMG_3678.jpegIMG_3675.jpeg

Painting is next on the agenda. Gunport lids and visible beams before planking the the deck.

Hi Chestcutter,

I did the bow of my Vanguard some time ago (about a year back) and I remember how difficult it was to get everything to fit snugly, I must say that I'm very impressed by the quality of your work, she really looks beautiful, I'm sure it will be a masterpiece! Your also creating a great log, it's bound to be a great reference for future builders.

Björn

PS, your dog also looks nice!

IMG_3690.jpegIMG_3693.jpegIMG_3691.jpegIMG_3692.jpegIMG_3694.jpegMinor update but wanted to highlight some details that are not clear in instructions or in other build threads.
The topdeck having been laid the bulwarks are planked with 1x4mm walnut in contrast to upper gun deck which is planked with 1.5x7 limewood. What is not clear is whether the topdeck gunports are framed or not.
Also the cathead crossbeam (part 179b) needs to sit forward of the Catheads over the bulwark stubs, that should be cut away and up against the front bulkhead fascia.
Photos hopefully show this detail for future modelers who read my log.

IMG_3701.jpegIMG_3700.jpegIMG_3699.jpegAnother minor update.
i finally worked out which of the top deck gunports need lining. On Tavola 3, the various painting schemes for Vanguard, Bellerophon or Elephant the side view shows the three most rearward gunports are lined, and recessed as they have lids.
So I lined them belatedly

I will still need to paint them and do some touch ups. Also painting the lower deck gunport lids

IMG_3695.jpeg

And finally a BAD Mistake I made that I want to warn others against. I didn’t glue the gun barrels to the carriage just had them fixed on their hinges. After putting on the top deck they are inaccessible and as I work on the ship some of them have come loose and don’t sit properly in the gunport opening. I’m really annoyed with myself and still trying to think of a way to correct this. I can’t remove the deck it will completely destroy the plywood and the model.

Well I racked my brain as to how best fix the loose cannons problem, and knew I couldn’t leave it the way it was.

So I decided to cut holes in the top deck ply and across some of the beams, obliquely to allow re-seating. This gave me enough access to re-insert the pins and re-seat the cannons properly on the carts. I CA them now.

IMG_3702.jpegIMG_3704.jpeg
Now re-gluing the cutouts and will fill the gaps before planking the deck. Hopefully it will all be invisible and just a bad memory.

Also progressing the lower gunport lids.

IMG_3705.jpegIMG_3706.jpeg
Thinking I might leave the etched piece which is the ventilation aperture, unpainted. Any thoughts on this?

IMG_0372.png

Back