HMS Vanguard 1787 1:72 a Victory Models kit

View attachment 425258View attachment 425259View attachment 425260Finished the 34’ launch. Planning to have the 18’ Cutter inside it so no thwarts in this one. Need to paint it.

It is difficult to model these smaller craft, as small errors or asymmetrical areas are magnified. I think it looks ok.
Со шлюпками как и совсем остальным в этом наборе есть нюанс.https://www.shipmodeling.ru/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=70719&hilit=%D0%AD%D0%B4%D0%B3%D0%B0%D1%80&start=1725
А так-то хорошая лодка!

Со шлюпками как и совсем остальным в этом наборе есть нюанс.https://www.shipmodeling.ru/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=70719&hilit=%D0%AD%D0%B4%D0%B3%D0%B0%D1%80&start=1725
А так-то хорошая лодка!
Translation: And so it's a good boat!

Thank you for your kind words. The link to the Russian shipmodeling site is very interesting. I regret not being able to speak Russian, but the shipwright skills are superb. I will try to navigate this site to learn more.

Wow, I had a lot of catching -up to do. I really like what you have done with the deck planking while the "crests of arms" on the cannons add a very nice touch. Your launch really came out well - I will be looking forward to the rest of your build.

Wow, I had a lot of catching -up to do. I really like what you have done with the deck planking while the "crests of arms" on the cannons add a very nice touch. Your launch really came out well - I will be looking forward to the rest of your build.
Thank you Heinrich. I am energized by yours and other’s kind remarks, and interest in my build.

Translation: And so it's a good boat!

Thank you for your kind words. The link to the Russian shipmodeling site is very interesting. I regret not being able to speak Russian, but the shipwright skills are superb. I will try to navigate this site to learn more.
Nowadays, there is no need to know languages, browsers provide translation themselves. Yandex browser also translates the inscriptions on the pictures, the translation, of course, is not literary, but the meaning is clear.

Screenshot_20240206-063736.png

Poop deck rails and carronades installed.
The rails are delicate and also not straight sections. The uprights are all different and asymmetrical and sit at odd angles.

IMG_3966.jpeg

To get them aligned required using the thinner lower cap rail, with the squared opening, after which I glued the upper and lower cap rails together and the pre-drilled the holes for belaying pin racks, and then installed on the model.

IMG_3956.jpeg

IMG_3958.jpeg

IMG_3959.jpeg

The holes are 1.05 mm and the rail thickness is 2.15mm and glued, so easy to split.

Before gluing the railing, I secured and rigged the carronades. The carronades are not original kit ones which I didn’t like. They are Caldercraft aftermarket and they are much nicer, albeit slightly too large.

IMG_3970.jpegIMG_3969.jpegIMG_3968.jpegIMG_3966.jpegIMG_3962.jpegIMG_3961.jpeg

IMG_3967.jpeg

IMG_3965.jpeg

IMG_3957.jpeg

Last edited:
Your attention to detail is outstanding! This is a great build. I can only aspire to reach your skill level. Very impressive.

Craig C , Paul and Adry, thank you for the compliments and for looking in on my build.
The nature of the build changes considerably after the hull is completed, with many detailed small projects. The Poop deck was a joy to build and accessible.
More to come.

The railings look excellent whilst your deck has a particularly warm and "inviting" to look to it. I don't know if it is just a question of the camera lens distorting angles, but you might take a look at the height of your carronade barrels. They seem to be a tad high in relation to the natural "gunports" created by your railings.

The railings look excellent whilst your deck has a particularly warm and "inviting" to look to it. I don't know if it is just a question of the camera lens distorting angles, but you might take a look at the height of your carronade barrels. They seem to be a tad high in relation to the natural "gunports" created by your railings.
Yes Heinrich, you are correct. The aft ones in particular are high. This is because they are 1:64 Caldercraft ones with a higher base platform, not 1:72 Amati ones. I preferred these carronades and sanded them down to reduce the heights but the aft ones are still not great. At this stage not planning to change them and hope that they are not too jarring to look at.
Thanks for looking in.

Minor update.
Well the netting I was able to buy has holes that are slightly larger than the small amount of supplied netting from the kit. A careful eye can see the difference. When purchasing online it is not declared the size of the openings, and I can’t keep buying Tulle, the Admiral will get suspicious. So this difference will remain.
Belaying pins in racks. Poop deck ladders roped.
All shot garlands filled.
Poop deck

IMG_3992.jpegIMG_3993.jpegIMG_3994.jpegIMG_3995.jpeg
IMG_3999.jpeg

Next to do Quarterdeck needs bulwark hammock netting. And companion way nets and roped stanchions.
Have started planning the lower gun deck port lids.
34’ launch painted.

IMG_3998.jpegIMG_3997.jpegIMG_3984.jpegIMG_3983.jpegIMG_3982.jpeg

As always, thanks for visiting.

IMG_4001.jpeg

Last edited:
Back