HMS Victory by Y.T.- Mamoli - 1:90 scale

YT my friend - she is really looking the part now. There is still NOTHING that touches a big ship-of-the-line in the impressive stakes! :)

In order to better understand curvatures of the hull I install "spiling battens". Spiling battens I use are thin wood strips which are straight and do not want to easily bend sideways. I use 0.5 x 5 mm wood strips. I lay them in such a way that they are not forced laterally whatsoever. I do so as I do not have intention to do lateral bending on any of the planks. I also do not plan making any of laterally curved planks with cutting plank pieces out of sheet wood material (too expensive, too much work and it is hardly a way historical shipwrights built their hulls - here I can be very wrong, but I do not know differently). I use a simplest planking technique.

The battens are simply attached to bulkheads with masking tape as you can see on pictures below. Masking tape was used instead of pins as it does not split my wood spiling battens.

View attachment 159476View attachment 159477View attachment 159478
Hi YT,

Another name for those battens is "fairing battens".

Great progress, your build log puts me off buying this kit.

Cheers,
Stephen.

2 mm blocks were purchased from Falkonet on eBay. Hooks are self made. Ropes are also self made.
What size thread did you start with in your rope walk to get the finished (three strand possibly) line? Nicely walked. Rich

What size thread did you start with in your rope walk
I use this rope walk. See picture.
46B7B03F-7D3F-4F0A-938C-06BC4BF971AD.jpeg

The thread is this one. It’s very thin. I don’t know what its diameter is. It results into 0.2 mm diameter rope when worked from three threads.

5AC0294A-4125-48DB-B60D-161D26E7873F.jpeg
Since then I decided I want a bit thicker rope for my cannon rigging. I made new rope of 0.27 mm diameter from 2 x 3 rope construction of same thread. See the difference.
58C9B25A-D1A6-4167-8EE0-31F953EE3FA8.jpeg

Back