HMS Victory by Y.T.- Mamoli - 1:90 scale

Wow! I saw the old Mamoli Victory 1:90 for sale (I think they were asking $200 ), but I don't think I have the skills to get it to this level. :)

Understood. Back to watching your build...

Wow! I saw the old Mamoli Victory 1:90 for sale (I think they were asking $200 ), but I don't think I have the skills to get it to this level. :)
I just completed one a few months ago. Same exact thing. It was missing parts, wood dried out and brittle. Unless you want to spend the equivalent to up grade, or more, don't waste your money. There are better models out there for your money.

I am fascinated with this little sheet metal press brake. I am not sure what I would use it for now but I plan buying one. Does anyone own it? Are there other ones like that available?

8B88C009-8926-45E6-A05A-8DCE21B8CA86.jpeg

the seller with the Mamoli kit is now asking $150... still passing on it though.

I used only a few original kit fittings in my build. All the rest I scratch build. I was not happy with design the kit offered and altered it on many occasions. If you are ready to go through all the obstacles this kit presents then go ahead. $150 is really cheap. Probably even the wood in the kit will cost you more if you buy it on the market. Also the path on how to overcome the problems of this kit is on the pages of my build log here. If some information you need is missing I can always help.

Had done 8 pieces required of this size in no time. Blacken them too.
Only thing I do not like about this soldering process is that solder material is too soft and bends before the copper wire. I wish I was able to do a silver soldering here. However I do not know what material I could use for making a soldering jig that would not ignite at the torch flame. Any help here?

Only thing I do not like about this soldering process is that solder material is too soft and bends before the copper wire. I wish I was able to do a silver soldering here. However I do not know what material I could use for making a soldering jig that would not ignite at the torch flame. Any help here?
Hi YT,

You can use aerated concrete otherwise known as Hebel it is quite cost effective landscape gardeners and builders use this material.
I picked up some at a paving shop or you can get it from hardware shops over here in Australia.
You can drill, cut and machine it nail nails into it. Only don't use good cutters as concrete will blunt them otherwise this stuff works easily. I should add that this material won't hold fine detail as it tends to crumble at the edges.
Or you can get fire bricks these are quite expensive, I would try a jewelers supplier.
Hope this helps.

Here is a simple jig I made using Hebel.
DSC_0643.JPG

Cheers,
Stephen.

Last edited:
you can get it from hardware shops over here in Australia.
Hi Stephen, I wish I were in hot Australia now but... I am in cool Canada. Thanks for suggested solution. I did not see yet this material you mention around here. However you are right, there must be a material the jewelers use to have their trinkets soldered with gold or silver.

Hi YT,
Not all that hot here at the moment, early spring in Melbourne which = Tee shirt one day the next day winter clothes, that's Melbourne for you.
Might be known as light weight concrete as well.
Maybe plain old cement sheet might be an option.

Cheers,
Stephen.

Back