La Candelaria - Occre Build log

Yes - prepare yourself with reading and watching some of the building logs.
And be aware, the planking on the second ship model is better..... with planking you have to make your experiences
Not easy to get really perfect results.....

This morning I assembled the stairs leading up to the quarter deck. The stringers are pre made but the material for the treads is balsa wood which I didn't care for & besides it's not wide enough. Not sure what type of wood the stringers are made of but I have plenty of cherry which matches up nicely. It took some time to cut & fit the treads (1mm thick) but I think they turned out pretty good. The balsa board from the kit is in the foreground.IMG_6154-Edit.jpg

Still waiting on a book I ordered for planking the hull so I'm working on other details.
The cathead beams needed to be slotted so I marked out & drilled 3 holes for each slot then used an x-acto knife along with abrasive cord to complete the task. Thanks to Frank W. for the tip on the abrasive cord.IMG_6156.jpg

This morning I assembled the stairs leading up to the quarter deck. The stringers are pre made but the material for the treads is balsa wood which I didn't care for & besides it's not wide enough. Not sure what type of wood the stringers are made of but I have plenty of cherry which matches up nicely. It took some time to cut & fit the treads (1mm thick) but I think they turned out pretty good. The balsa board from the kit is in the foreground.View attachment 408618
Love your ladders....I am doin the Beagle from OcCre and the ladders are metal....I hate them....may try to make yours based on this photo...thanks....they look really good.

Love your ladders....I am doin the Beagle from OcCre and the ladders are metal....I hate them....may try to make yours based on this photo...thanks....they look really good.
Thanks Gene. The stringers are from the kit & I'm glad they were not metal. If you have a hobby table saw it wouldn't be that hard to make your own.

It's been a while since I posted progress on my ship because I've been spending the last 3 or so weeks trying to figure out how I'm going to attack this important step of planking the 2nd. layer. I've been looking at other build logs, watching videos & reading a book on the subject & I believe I'm confident enough to proceed.
One hurdle was figuring out how to taper the African Walnut boards consistently. At .5mm thick this stuff is dry as tinder & splinters very easily so I devised a jig to hold 4 planks together at an angle & sand them down. Hopefully the photos here show how I accomplished this. The clamp is actually from a hull clamping kit meant for holding the keel. The strips of wood are set apart to hold 4 strakes at once & are stepped from .5mm to 2mm which will take a 5mm wide board & taper it down to 3mm. I can see another week or two before I'm finished.IMG_6173.jpgIMG_6175.jpgIMG_6176.jpg

More progress this past weekend on the walnut planks. It may be unconventional to use blue painters tape to secure the boards in place but at .5mm thick it actually works quite well. Titebond II is my preferred glue for this task as it gives me plenty of working time to fit the boards in place.IMG_6184.jpgIMG_6188.jpgIMG_6190.jpg

Very nice!!

Between holiday stuff & the CA glue debacle, I took a step back for a while, but got back to work on it over the weekend. How did you get your belt-line planks to lie flat in one solid strip? Mine kept wanting to buckle, so I decided to go with a “planking” method like the decking, and it’s working out quite well.

Very nice!!

Between holiday stuff & the CA glue debacle, I took a step back for a while, but got back to work on it over the weekend. How did you get your belt-line planks to lie flat in one solid strip? Mine kept wanting to buckle, so I decided to go with a “planking” method like the decking, and it’s working out quite well.
Welcome back Frank:)It's easier for me to show you with a photo. First I roughly calculated the taper I would need at the bow & stern so a 5mm strake at midship may be tapered down to 3mm at the bow. Then I soaked it in hot water, placed it on my pin board in a bent position & ironed it. I did this on each strake at the bow then the stern. I did them in pairs doing 2 pairs per day. I give Chuck Passaro full credit for this technique. IMG_6201.jpg
The photo shows me bending a rubbing strake. Once removed there is some spring back so the bend isn't as exaggerated as it looks.

Again, that is some very nice work! I will admit I wasn’t feeling quite THAT ambitious, at least not yet for this build. I’ll probably update in a few days when I have something a bit more worth looking at.
And those catheads came out looking sharp… glad that worked for you.

Last edited:
Back