La Créole 1827 by archjofo - Scale 1/48 - French corvette

There is also another question, whether the French also use cable-laid ropes for the tack ropes?
You think they use cablet for the tacks?
Normally they use hawser rope for tacks, only if the rope is thicker than 9" in circumference, then they use cable. In case of a cable with a smaller circumference then 9" it's called a cablet. (Source: Damien Sanders - 'Knowing the ropes'). A cable or cablet isn't so flexible like rope.

@Kurt Konrath
Hello Kurt,
thank you for the interest and the positive comment.
These ropes with a diameter of 0.35 mm are made from silk yarn itself and served. The blockstrop is closed with superglue, as already described.
If you have any specific questions about it, I will be happy to give you an answer.

@Mirek
Hello Mirek,
thanks for your interest and encouragement.

@Steef66
Hello Stephan,
on page 228 Petrejus writes in his book "Das Modell der Brigg IRENE" (unfortunately I have only the German edition) the following:
Petrejus_Seite228_Halsen.jpg
This text made me ask this question.
In this respect I have assumed that it was widely common to execute the tacks with cable-laid ropes. I have also read about this in other forums.
So I wanted to know how it was specifically with the French. To make matters worse, these tacks tapered to the hauling part.

My second language is German, no problem. 19th century is for me pretty unknow about rigging and I see there is a lot to learn. For the tacks they use cable or cablet (depending on the thickness) apparently. And tappered (fun, curieus how you solve that). In this case my guts tell me to use cable for the tacks.
I ask myself how they tappered the cable? Was it just the last meter of cable what was tappered or was the compleet rope tappered over the lenght. Never seen this.

Hello Stephan,

Unfortunately, at the moment I have very little information on this subject, particularly with regard to the French Navy.
I hope that here in the forum one or the other can contribute something.
Whether a tapered tack rope can then be implemented on a scale of 1:48 remains to be clarified.

Continuation: Equipment of the main yard - arrangement of the blocks for the clewlines, sheets and tacks - Bouquet de manouvres de grand voile
Since I intend to equip the yards with all the necessary rigging elements, I will also prepare the arrangements for the blocks of clewlines, sheets and tacks and pull in the necessary ropes. These elements are not present on the original model in Paris.
In the meantime I have made the corresponding single blocks for the main yard including the toggles (no stopper knots).
DSC01246.jpg

In doing so, I start from double tacks, as they are also provided for in the monograph and became more or less common at the beginning of the 19th century. In this respect, the question of the rejuvenated tacks should have been settled, right?
The question remains as to what type of ropes were used.

To attach the Clewlines ø 17 mm (ø 0.35 mm on a scale of 1:48) to the yards, so-called timber hitches were most likely used, as shown below.

Manuel_Du_Gabier_1875_ noeud_de_bois.jpg
Source: Manuel Du Gabier, 1875

AuszugUfflers_Geitau.jpg
Source: Handbook of Seamanship, Franz Ulffers, 1872

Of course, when rigging a model, everyone inevitably comes to the point where the question arises as to how the block strops of the running rigging should be executed in terms of colour. Either hemp-colored, or brown to black as tarred cordage. I read somewhere that anything that moves doesn't get tarred, and anything that doesn't move gets tarred. This can also be seen on the rigging of the L'Hermione replica, so I use it as a guide for my model.
DSC01258.jpg

This is how the finished arrangement for the blocks for the clewlines, sheets and tacks looks like:
DSC01252.jpg
In a hurry, I accidentally made the attachment inside. Of course, this has to be done on the outside towards the yardarm and is still being changed.
DSC01264.jpg
Sequel follows …

Continuation: Equipment of the main yard - arrangement of the blocks for the clewlines, sheets and tacks - Bouquet de manouvres de grand voile
Since I intend to equip the yards with all the necessary rigging elements, I will also prepare the arrangements for the blocks of clewlines, sheets and tacks and pull in the necessary ropes. These elements are not present on the original model in Paris.
In the meantime I have made the corresponding single blocks for the main yard including the toggles (no stopper knots).
View attachment 376325

In doing so, I start from double tacks, as they are also provided for in the monograph and became more or less common at the beginning of the 19th century. In this respect, the question of the rejuvenated tacks should have been settled, right?
The question remains as to what type of ropes were used.

To attach the Clewlines ø 17 mm (ø 0.35 mm on a scale of 1:48) to the yards, so-called timber hitches were most likely used, as shown below.

View attachment 376324
Source: Manuel Du Gabier, 1875

View attachment 376323
Source: Handbook of Seamanship, Franz Ulffers, 1872

Of course, when rigging a model, everyone inevitably comes to the point where the question arises as to how the block strops of the running rigging should be executed in terms of colour. Either hemp-colored, or brown to black as tarred cordage. I read somewhere that anything that moves doesn't get tarred, and anything that doesn't move gets tarred. This can also be seen on the rigging of the L'Hermione replica, so I use it as a guide for my model.
View attachment 376327

This is how the finished arrangement for the blocks for the clewlines, sheets and tacks looks like:
View attachment 376326
In a hurry, I accidentally made the attachment inside. Of course, this has to be done on the outside towards the yardarm and is still being changed.
View attachment 376328
Sequel follows …
What a impressive rigging-lesson, Johann. It’s the crème-de-la-crème of rigging.
Regards, Peter

@Peter Voogt
@Bill-R
@Mirek

Thank you for your interest and positive response.

Continuation: Equipment of the main yard - Tacks and sheets
First of all, I would like to thank G. Delacroix for his interesting contribution.
MSW_LaCreole_thread_delacroix_27.05.23.jpg

In addition to his information, I was able to read the following in a French standard work on the rigging of sailing ships in the 19th century "Manuel de gréement par F.-A. Costé, Paris1829":
Manuel de gréement_par_F.-A._Costé_Paris_1829_Amures.jpg Manuel de gréement_par_F.-A._Costé_Paris_1829_Ecoutes.jpg

Thus, in the time of the La Créole, the tacks and sheets of the lower sails were definitely also made of Grelins (cable-laid ropes).
In addition, these also served for the standing parts.
In any case, a very interesting information, which I will try to implement adequately on my model.
Here are the first attempts to make a "Grelin":
DSC01251.jpg

See you soon ....

I just can't believe my eyes... . This kind of log just wears out my self confidence. The path is definitely to adhere the "feel a little bit down" this very forum's section... :D

@albertmary
@Tobias
@Steef66
Hello,
Thank you for your kind contributions.

Stephan, until now I did not know this site.

Completion: Equipment of the main yard
With the fixing of the studding sail booms to the main yard, another small milestone was reached: The main yard is finished with all equipment elements and prepared for mounting on the model, which will be done later.
DSC01271.jpg

DSC01274.JPG

In the next step I will equip the fore yard with the takele elements. I will certainly make faster progress with this, since I have already prepared some equipment parts and many clarifications of execution details have also already been made.

To be continued ...

Equipment of the fore yard - Blocks for the sheets and clewline - Poulies d'ecoute et Poulies de cargue de point
At the moment I am busy with the equipment of the fore yared. Basically it is the same work as for the main yard, but everything a bit smaller. In order to avoid repetitions of the previous reports, I will try to go into one or the other manufacturing detail in more detail in this section of the work.
I tried to determine the length of the strops for the yard blocks with a thin brass wire, as shown below in the example for the sheet blocks.
DSC01277.jpg

When making the strops, the areas of the eye splices are served first, and then the entire length is served between them.
The round seizings, as shown in the following illustration, I try to lay the turns as neatly as possible next to each other, and then use two strokes across to form the finish, as was probably done in the original.
Plattbindselung.jpg

DSC01289.jpg

Analogous to the Großrah, the blockstrops were then attached to the fore yard at the appropriate positions using rose lashing.
DSC01291.jpg

DSC01292.jpg

DSC01293.jpg

In the next step I will prepare the truss pendants with ø 34 mm (in model scale ø 0.70 mm) for the fore yard.
To be continued ...

I rarely post here - but at least I wanted to share my utter fascination with the precision of your work Johann. I know what it means to be an expert in a field (mine is not model building :)) and I have great admiration and respect when experts do their thing. I know this is your hobby and not your profession - but your work is top of the mark. I'm guessing this ship has been going on more than a decade now? It bears all the hallmarks of a prolonged effort. My respect.

Back