La Créole 1827 by archjofo - Scale 1/48 - French corvette

I agree with Uwe, seeing how you make the little stick with the file. You think oké, its possible and then you see the part next to a 1 cent piece. You have to think again on your own possibility's and concluding about more practice.

Witaj
Johann jak zwykle cudowna praca, podobnie jak Uwek chciałbym kiedyś zobaczyć ten model na żywo. Pozdrawiam Mirek

Hello
Johann, wonderful work as usual, like Uwek I would like to see this model live someday. Regards, Mirek

Johann, I've become accustomed to your tying all of these exotic miniature nautical knots. Certainly, beyond my own abilities. Just when I get used to the level of your production of small parts you show us how you freehand the toggles you use. To me, achieving symmetry on such a small part freehand is no easy feat. As you state, the wood must be very hard with a tight grain.

A couple of questions for my own education.
1) Is there a reason you use Dogwood over Boxwood?
2) Is the Dogwood you use a specific subspecies?

As always, thank you for sharing your wonderful work.

Hello Johann,
everything has been said and I can only agree with you. I would like to thank you for giving us a deep insight into the manufacturing process and for your great illustrated explanation. It is really impressive work in all areas. I would also like to wish you a wonderful and peaceful Christmas and happy holidays.

Übersetzt mit DeepL (https://www.deepl.com/app/?utm_source=ios&utm_medium=app&utm_campaign=share-translation)

Dear Johann
A well-known proverb says that "every addition to what has already been said detracts", therefore I tell you that all the compliments that have already been said above are extremely justified!!! :cool:Okay
It is my absolute pleasure to follow your work and learn from you, Merry Christmas :)

@Hoss6262
Hello Ken,
the color of my dogwood wood is almost white and feels almost like ivory after processing. I think this color works better for this detail. The color of boxwood tends towards yellow. I think these two woods are about the same hardness and similar in grain.
I took a quick macro shot to show this.
DSC01680.JPG
Unfortunately, I can't tell you whether this dogwood wood is a special subspecies, as I received it as a gift from a model builder friend.

Thank you Johann. I did a little research after I posted. Boxwood is a little harder than Dogwood, but they are close. Your Dogwood is a wonderful pale color. Thank you again.

A few quiet minutes between the holidays can be usefully filled...

Equipment of the mizzen topsail yard – Vergue de perroquet de fouge
In the meantime I have started equipping the mizzen topsail yard of the La Créole. The first step was to make the necessary blocks and thimbles, as shown in the first picture.
DSC01690.jpg

The tye block has a length of 5 mm and is therefore the largest block at the mizzen topsail yard.
DSC01687.jpg

The next picture shows the size ratio of the tye block of the mizzen topsail yard to the tye block of the mizzen topsail yard. The difference is clear, as the mizzen topsail yard itself is significantly smaller and therefore lighter.
DSC01695.jpg

In the last picture the first rigging elements are already attached, such as the tye block with the stropped blocks for the bunt lines, the truss and the quarter blocks.
DSC01701.jpg

I cannot tell from the images available to me to what extent the mizzen topsail yard was equipped with a jackstay. I can't find any information about this in the monograph either. Nevertheless, I tend to equip the mizzen topsail yard with a jackstay.
Up soon …

Wish you all a happy new year!

Geht es noch kleiner? ich bin immer wieder von neuem überrascht, was alles (bei dir) geht !

Can it be even smaller? I'm always surprised, what's possible (with you)!

@Mirek
@Herman
@Tobias
@Hoss6262
@Uwek
Thank you very much for your interest in my work and the kind words.
I would also like to thank you all for the many LIKES.

@Uwek
Uwe, a little bit is always possible ... :D

A happy new year 2024 to all.

Continuation: Equipping the mizzen topsail yard - Vergue de perroquet de fouge

The last of La Créole's topsail yards, the mizzen topsail yard, has now also been fitted with a jackstay and lashed in the middle.

DSC01705.jpg

The next step was to make and attach the footropes with a rope ø 22 mm (model scale ø 0.46 mm). Due to the relatively short spans, one stirrup for each half of the mizzen topsail yard seemed sufficient.
The next step was to make the strops for the yard tackles, which will later be attached to the yardarms.

The next picture shows detailed sections of the rigging elements already mentioned. A comparison with a stirrup for the main yard is also shown.

DSC01716.jpg

The following picture shows the finished blocks (each 3.5 mm long) for the braces and the leech lines. As with the other yards, the blocks were attached directly to the yard strops using ø 1.4 mm thimbles ("dog and bitch" connection).

DSC01725.jpg

I continued with the strops for the lower blocks of the clew lines (l = 3.5 mm) and making the toggles to connect them to the sheets.

DSC01727.jpg

Last but not least, a picture of the current state of the mizzen topsail yard.

DSC01729.jpg

Finally, the clew lines, the reef tackles and the sheets are still missing for the final outfitting of the mizzen topsail yard.

See you soon ...

Last edited:
Witaj
Johan piękna praca, chyba się powtarzam ale ona taka właśnie jest. Pozdrawiam Mirek

@Mirek
@Herman
@Tobias
@Hoss6262
@Uwek

@Uwek

The last of La Créole's topsail yards, the mizzen topsail yard, has now also been fitted with a jackstay and lashed in the middle.

View attachment 419908

The next step was to make and attach the footropes with a rope ø 22 mm (model scale ø 0.46 mm). Due to the relatively short spans, one stirrup for each half of the mizzen topsail yard seemed sufficient.
The next step was to make the strops for the yard tackles, which will later be attached to the yardarms.

The next picture shows detailed sections of the rigging elements already mentioned. A comparison with a stirrup for the main yard is also shown.

View attachment 419909

The following picture shows the finished blocks (each 3.5 mm long) for the braces and the leech lines. As with the other yards, the blocks were attached directly to the yard strops using ø 1.4 mm thimbles ("dog and bitch" connection).

View attachment 419910

I continued with the strops for the lower blocks of the clew lines (l = 3.5 mm) and making the toggles to connect them to the sheets.

View attachment 419911

View attachment 419912

Finally, the clew lines, the reef tackles and the sheets are still missing for the final outfitting of the mizzen topsail yard.

See you soon ...
incredible work Okay :)

@Mirek
@Herman
@Tobias
@Hoss6262
@Uwek

@Uwek

View attachment 419908

View attachment 419909

View attachment 419910

View attachment 419911

View attachment 419912

See you soon ...
A continuing high standard with you rope work, Johann. A pleasure for the eyes!
Regards, Peter

Back