View attachment 195573

View attachment 195576

View attachment 195580

View attachment 195581

View attachment 195577

View attachment 195578

has to be located between the two beams 5A-1 and 5A-2
View attachment 195579

and here also with the partner 3A-5 for the mast - Part 3B-1 I will install later on
View attachment 195584

View attachment 195585

Many Thanks for your interest ..... to be continued .......
Very nice work..Meister

Many Thanks for your kind words and the likes received - highly appreciated

Going further with the wooden bulkheads and interior walls
IMG-4952.jpg

Taking a look at the first I made - here you can see on top the template, at the bottom the laser sheet from where the separate boards were removed, and in the middle right side the prepared boards and on the left hand half side already glued together
IMG-5016.jpg

a closer look
IMG-5017.jpg

I am using wooden glue - Maybe you can also recognize, that I also beveled all edges of each board slightly, so get a little bit more a three-dimensional look of the finished wall, with recognizing the single board better.
I am making this fitting on top of sheet of glass, so I am sure, the parts are laying flat.
After pressing the boards together, I used a chisel scraping along the joint, to remove the squeezed glue away
IMG-5018.jpg

I am usually preparing each wall in two half - for me it was better to handle during gluing together
IMG-5019.jpg

and the same from the back side (not final sanded - you can see still the laser dust char)
IMG-5020.jpg

A first test, to see how it is looking like - still the outline form was not adjusted to fit the form of the template
IMG-5021.jpg

Coming back to the ballast platform - I solved the "problem" with additional bearing strips, so that the cover boards can lay on top of these strips and close the platform to get an even surface

IMG-5037.jpg

I agree, that they way @PoulD mentioned and showed in post #245 may be the correct way
2020-11-25_12-11-29.jpg

Some additional work was done on the four main interior wooden walls shown in manual sketch #9

IMG-4952.jpg

Here you can see the four elements from both sides
IMG-5033.jpg

IMG-5036.jpg

You can see also the sliding shutter was done
IMG-4953.jpg

I was before a little bit skeptic, if the "sliding" will work, like CAF mentioned in sketch #10 and #11, but is really working well - so try it
IMG-5034.jpg

IMG-5035.jpg

@jeep : Many Thanks for your kind words
It is the big advantage of such a group build and also our main intention to help each other.
Also often there are more than one solution or construction methods possible, so we are able to share the different experiences, so modelers can decide later one, which one could fit best

Today some short impressions with the walls in place, still not finally finished
IMG-5023.jpg

IMG-5024.jpg

IMG-5026.jpg

IMG-5027.jpg

IMG-5031.jpg

IMG-5032.jpg

Uwe my friend. It looks very good indeed. But I have again a question. I'm at work so I do not have the drawings available and therefore I may very well be wrong but I'm thinking, could it be the platform should be apr. 2 mm closer to the bow? There are 2 reasons behind my thought:

1) Remember in your post #258 you said the the innner planking should fully cover frame 12? Later I think Chello wrote in his log that the planks was not long enough to do so. So if the platform and the bulkheads is placed like yours I assume Chello (and possibly others) will also get a gap like this:
1606996051937.png
2) Your bulkhead at the aft side of the platform seems to be located directly under a deck beam. I may be wrong but I would think such a bulkhead would be placed up against either the fore or aft side of a deck beam
1606996504060.png
I can't see how your bulkhead at the fore end of the platform is located relative to a beam (as your fore deck clamps are not in place) but if i'm right, i think it means the stern section of the inner planking should be longer than you described in post #258, (should then end 2 mm in front of frame 25)

Uwe my friend. It looks very good indeed. But I have again a question. I'm at work so I do not have the drawings available and therefore I may very well be wrong but I'm thinking, could it be the platform should be apr. 2 mm closer to the bow? There are 2 reasons behind my thought:

1) Remember in your post #258 you said the the innner planking should fully cover frame 12? Later I think Chello wrote in his log that the planks was not long enough to do so. So if the platform and the bulkheads is placed like yours I assume Chello (and possibly others) will also get a gap like this:
View attachment 196747
2) Your bulkhead at the aft side of the platform seems to be located directly under a deck beam. I may be wrong but I would think such a bulkhead would be placed up against either the fore or aft side of a deck beam
View attachment 196748
I can't see how your bulkhead at the fore end of the platform is located relative to a beam (as your fore deck clamps are not in place) but if i'm right, i think it means the stern section of the inner planking should be longer than you described in post #258, (should then end 2 mm in front of frame 25)
You are absolutely correct
-> I put the parts only dry inside, not 100% accurate at the correct places and axis
So there can be several mm at the wrong place
Only to get an impression, and definitely not as a target to achieve

Wery impressive, my friend! Clean and accurate. Did you chamber (edge) individual planks on the wall? It does look prominent. If yes, what tool do you use? Also, did you 'blacken' the edges of the plank?

Wery impressive, my friend! Clean and accurate. Did you chamber (edge) individual planks on the wall? It does look prominent. If yes, what tool do you use? Also, did you 'blacken' the edges of the plank?
Yes jim,
correctly seen!
I chamfered every long side of each board or plank with a sanding block - it is some work, but only with twoi three times going over the edge - It will look very good, latest when the timber is oiled - the same I made already with the interior walls of my Bonhomme Richard

IMG-5017a.jpg

-> It will look very good, latest when the timber is oiled

the same for the walls but also the deck planking I made already with the interior walls of my Bonhomme Richard

I did not blacken them
If you mean the endings of the planks? - this is not sanded and still some char from the laser

If you mean the endings of the planks? - this is not sanded and still some char from the laser
...no, I mean between the planks (like imitating the caulking), but obviously, there wasn't caulking. It just a way to repersent\emphasize the individual planks in the wall.

Many thanks for the quick response... ;)

...no, I mean between the planks (like imitating the caulking), but obviously, there wasn't caulking. It just a way to repersent\emphasize the individual planks in the wall.

Many thanks for the quick response... ;)
The contact area of two parallel planks are sanded, so no more char there
between the planks it is really only shadow because of the chamfer - this effect I wanted to produce with the chamfer

The contact area of two parallel planks are sanded, so no more char there
between the planks it is really only shadow because of the chamfer - this effect I wanted to produce with the chamfer
This was exactly what I thought...looks sharp (awesome) as I have mentioned before!

Let us go further with the hull construction of the CAF Le Coureur
Finally I installed the second row of deck clamps parts 2A-1, 2A-2 and 2A-3, once more with some watering before, to get the timber in form

IMG-4873.jpg

IMG-5056.jpg

IMG-5057.jpg

With all installed deck clamps from bow to stern, the framing on top of the keel and fixed keelson and the installed inner planking, the complete hull should be stiff enough to move it out of the jig .....

Now or later ?

Should I go further with the outside planking? Than I have to remove it from the jig.....
Or is it better to leave it inside the jig and go further with the interior works ......
This will be my main question during the coming weekend

I left still the hull inside the jig, I will go in moment further with the interior work of the Le Coureur from CAF as much as possible

In order to get the correct place and location of the interior walls it is necessary to adjust and dryfit all the deck beams.
With this it will be possible to check the correct place of each individual wall /bulkhead

as usual here the sketches from the manual with the beams and their part numbers
IMG-5071.jpg

Also visible are the carlings so the orientation of the beams (prepared notches fore or aft) should be checked with this sketch
IMG-5072.jpg

All the deck beams are cnc prepared, so no char removing necessary - and all necessary notches are already well prepared

Here you can see the beams next to the stern laying unprepared next to the notches of the clamps
IMG-5062.jpg

and now all the beams sitting on the correct place and height
IMG-5063.jpg

IMG-5064.jpg

and this has to be done all over the ships length
IMG-5065.jpg

IMG-5070.jpg

IMG-5066.jpg

all beams in place
IMG-5073.jpg

Important is definitely, that the clamps are installed on the correct height and location - so definitely use the measurement sticks to define the correct location of the clamps

Back