New design POF HMS Blandford 1720 in scale 1:48 by Modelship Dockyard

Hi Jimsky. No, I was asking Zoly if the kit will be available for purchase through his intermediary like La Belle Poule was for example. I just wanted clarification on who I will actually transact with, Model Dockyard or someone here. I am sure that there are others here that will be purchasing this model and are anxious to find out how and from whom they will purchase this kit. If S.O.S. benefits in some way from representing these model developers then I am all for it.

Have a great day,

Reg
Hi Reg
I think I misunderstood your question partly

The Blandford kit will be sold By Modelship Dockyard on a similar page like the Belle Poule by Sail and Sail,it will be an attached Pay Pal paying method, the Pay Pal button is a direct payment to Modelship Dockyard, if you take a look at the Belle Poule selling page of Sail and Sail there is a Pay Pal button directly to him , we SOS is just providing the Page for them.

Just a mention, as many folks are asking about the purchase of Blandford.
The kit will be officially release after an open box by SOS, this will happen soon.
Then they will set a shopping page with purchase options on it, and you guys can but it through that webpage.
If there more confusion about the purchase, please feel free to send me messages.

Some more contents:
微信图片_20220102210634.jpg

Hi Reg
I think I misunderstood your question partly

The Blandford kit will be sold By Modelship Dockyard on a similar page like the Belle Poule by Sail and Sail,it will be an attached Pay Pal paying method, the Pay Pal button is a direct payment to Modelship Dockyard, if you take a look at the Belle Poule selling page of Sail and Sail there is a Pay Pal button directly to him , we SOS is just providing the Page for them.
Hi Zoly,

Thanks for the update.

Happy New Year!

Reg :)

There is a (imo major) problem with the knee of the head (fixable) and so the figurehead (not really fixable). The knee is double tapered from aft to forward as well as from below upward right. Now the fore end looks heavy and clumsy.

1642257636172.png

It should look like here:

1642257699533.png

1642257661099.png

Cheers Dirk

Dubs, one could add some boxwood fillers to the stem/figure head, not optimal but doable….

There is a (imo major) problem with the knee of the head (fixable) and so the figurehead (not really fixable). The knee is double tapered from aft to forward as well as from below upward right. Now the fore end looks heavy and clumsy.

View attachment 282745

It should look like here:

View attachment 282748

View attachment 282746

Cheers Dirk
Yes Drik, that is a problem. Since the head figure was modeled 5 years ago, it's hard to find the working file at the moment, so sadly I can't change it anymore, and the builder of this pilot model just decided to let it be like that. But I also found if modeler use a clamp to fit it, and sand it fotr a bit angle, it can be fitted onto a 4mm knee of the head, which should look much better.

Yes Drik, that is a problem. Since the head figure was modeled 5 years ago, it's hard to find the working file at the moment, so sadly I can't change it anymore, and the builder of this pilot model just decided to let it be like that. But I also found if modeler use a clamp to fit it, and sand it fotr a bit angle, it can be fitted onto a 4mm knee of the head, which should look much better.
In addition to what Victor said (actually a bit elaborate), the modelers still can make it correctly. They would need to make the stem from a scrap of wood (shape it to an acceptable size). The reason I mentioned the acceptable size is that most likely, you will not be able to squeeze the figurehead legs to make it the correct size for a scale without breaking the legs, or deforming the entire figurehead.

Here is the way I would do it:
  • Shape a bit the scrap wood to conform the Stem
  • Soak in the hot\warm water the lower part of the lion's body, including the stomach ;)
  • Gently squeeze the legs around the Stem (without any gaps). If the legs are not squeezing - STOP! You may need to soak more or reshape Stem, you shaped too much! However, if legs are squeezed OK, clamp them and let them completely dry.
  • Depending on your taste and the output, you can repeat the above procedure and shape a bit more Stem and squeeze a bit more (if possible). Just remember, If you do it too much, you can deform the figurehead or break the legs.
I think it's doable...

Would it be too cost prohibitive to change the figurehead CNC cutting file? I mean the file has to be installed on the mill that is cutting them - can’t you get the file from there and change it? Or am I just a naive consumer? :)

Would it be too cost prohibitive to change the figurehead CNC cutting file? I mean the file has to be installed on the mill that is cutting them - can’t you get the file from there and change it? Or am I just a naive consumer? :)
I don't think you are naive, at least you don't look like one...:cool: However, suggesting to find the files and modify the figurehead may not be appropriate without knowing the details. We don't know if those figureheads are made in their shop or acquired on the side. If they sourced on the side, does that mean another expense? They will most likely have to change the Stem piece as well (change the entire timber board where the stem piece is located). Do we want this kit more expensive? Also, most likely the first batch of kits are already completed and ready to be shipped. Start over again? However, I am sure they hear our critics, and the next batch will come with modifications.

P.S. I never heard that people complain to Mamoly or Amati that they did something incorrectly and suggest changes, Just saying...;)

Oh yeah, there’s plenty of complaints- they just never do anything about them…. And they don’t develop their products in the public view. As always it will be a matter of what you are willing to accept, it’s still a nice model, just now it has a flaw we all know about. Makes me have to decide if I want to accept that, fix it, or wait till something better comes along. At the current rate of excellent models being developed I probably won’t have to wait very long…. There are companies though that are developing kits that are near perfect- but they are developed by modelers at heart that do their research and do make corrections when errors are identified. I think they take great pride in producing a high quality product and are concerned with historical accuracy and the growth and health of the hobby. They are pricy, yes but in the same ballpark as this one I would imagine. It’s great to have so many choices available to us, and there is always going to be some trade offs, even if it’s just the cost for a great kit.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, there’s plenty of complaints- they just never do anything about them…. And they don’t develop their products in the public view. As always it will be a matter of what you are willing to accept, it’s still a nice model, just now it has a flaw we all know about. Makes me have to decide if I want to accept that, fix it, or wait till something better comes along. At the current rate of excellent models being developed I probably won’t have to wait very long….
All the kits come with a degree of errors, the main issue is if the error is acceptable and can be working out! The developer accepted the error, who knows, maybe Modelship Dockyard will modify their kits sooner.

This is the beauty of our capitalism, If you don't like it - you don't have to buy it. For your money, you can always find another one for your taste and preferences. ;)

Back