Saint-Philippe 1693-POF to the Monograph by Jean-Claude Lemineur by NMBrook-1/36

Happy B-Day, @Jimsky . And a lot of health ....

@NMBROOK

With your awesome qualtity you destroy my motivation. But it´s good to have goals for the future.
One question to your milling machine. How are your experiences with the rpm from your machine ?
What is the maximum that your machine can do, and how are the qualtity with the wood. You are satisfied with it ?
I want to buy a new machine, but i hav not experience with "low" rpm. The machine can 2250. My actual 24000.

Happy B-Day, @Jimsky . And a lot of health ....

@NMBROOK

With your awesome qualtity you destroy my motivation. But it´s good to have goals for the future.
One question to your milling machine. How are your experiences with the rpm from your machine ?
What is the maximum that your machine can do, and how are the qualtity with the wood. You are satisfied with it ?
I want to buy a new machine, but i hav not experience with "low" rpm. The machine can 2250. My actual 24000.

Thankyou Oliver but you are too modest,your build is very good work.The machine max RPM is 2500 RPM.However I am using much bigger cutting tools with 4 flutes.The four flutes doubles the cutting speed and the larger diameter increases the speed at the cutting edge also.I have to be careful which way I approach the cut as I can get some splintering as the tool passes through to the outside of the workpiece.The cut is not quite as clean as the MF70 but not far off.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Hello Nigel,
This a whole new world that you are opening up for me and I shall follow your progress with great interest. There are two things that I absolutely agree with you.
1. A large model is more impressive but is needed to achieve the detail that this project requires
2. A dedicated workspace where you can walk away when tired without having to clean up and put everything away.
I wish you all the best,
Tony W

Hello Tony and thankyou.I remember seeing a 1/24 model of Agamemnon built by the owner of a craft shop in Norfolk UK many years ago.The model had pride of place in the middle of the floor in the shop in a glass case.It was awesome and conveyed the mighty presence these vessels once had.The model had won a Gold Medal at the National model Engineering exhibition and included every detail.It left me with a lasting memory and I do wonder what ever became of it.I remember the owner/builder did have it for sale for @ £37,000.This was 20 years ago.

I feel that better scale fidelity can be achieved more easily in this large scale,there are many fine carvings on Saint Philippe that would be a compromise in a smaller scale because you are limited by the grain of the wood,you can only push it so far.Naturally some details will be included that one would otherwise overlook at a smaller scale

Kind Regards

Nigel

Thanks Joachim,I will keep the supplier in mind.I have a source in the UK,so far no issues.I will look forward to your build but in the meantime I follow your progress on Fleuron.

Small update.I decided to install the keel.Subsequent frames will be added with the jig in the vertical position.I was concerned as there is next to not keel notch on the midship frames so would rather have the keel in place to work to.I gave the awkward to get to bits two coats of thinned Tung oil before bonding the keel in place with Epoxy..I have taken the jig into the garden to do some more fairing.I hope the pics convey the size of this model.Also Stanley my assistant shipwright is never to far away from his Dad when he is working on the model

Kind Regards

Nigel

sp269.jpgsp270.jpg

With the inside pretty close,I turned my attention to the outside and focused on tidying things up at the base of the forward frames.This involves shaping their ends and fairing the rabbet transition on the deadwood.The hull has a really slender concave shape at the base of the bow.I wanted to ensure the model conveyed this.
This was accomplished using the small sanding pads in the Proxxon rotary tool(shown in the last post)and a lot of hand sanding.It is a slow job because one slip and the model is ruined.I am pleased with the result and having second thoughts about my original intention of having two or three planks fitted adjacent to the keel.One side down,one to go.
As this is my first attempt at a POF build,once I am past the trials and tribulations of the bow,I feel all the rest is fairly straight forward.The bow is definitely the hardest bit IMHO,once the basics are complete I can move onto the framing that has a lot less bevelling.

Kind Regards

Nigel

sp275.jpgsp276.jpgsp277.jpgsp278.jpg

Thankyou Gents
Yes this is my first POF build after years bashing kits to death.There has been nothing that really inspired me in Ancre's catalogue previously apart from L'Ambiteaux but that was long out of print.Ironically that has been reprinted around the same time as this Monograph was released.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Back