SigEp Ziggy - HMS Blandford Cross Section - 1/48 Group Build

Glue experiment, red and green make brown, maybe too dark, I will play with the recipe.
Glue cutoffs and will sand later after glue dries.

View attachment 122960View attachment 122961
Good idea - and I am looking forward to see the result.
I suggest you will not use the darkened glue for the frame construction, due to the fact, that there were no caulking between the frame elements.
But maybe this way is useful for simulating the caulking between the outside hull planking and decks

I recognize on the used plans, that you made twice the frame No.1 - or is it every time only half of it?
You have to make a double frame, so that the elements are glued together like a brickwork.
In same way like here:

I do have a question for anyone or everyone. Does the height of the jig need to be adjusted to the frames?

I had to shorten it because the frame measures 7 inches at its widest point, however, the jig measures
6 1/4 inches to the red lines.

I use plain old birch toothpicks as treenails. I soak them in black dye to make simulated bolts.
What I do is break off the ends of toothpicks and soak them in a bath of black dye overnight and then let them dry out. Drill your appropriate sized holes. Depending on what size drill you use to drill the simulated bolts, the toothpick tips fill the holes because they are tapered. Dip the tip of the toothpick in CA glue and push it into the hole and let dry. Snip off the toothpicks and sand. If the toothpicks sit in the dye long enough, they will be black throughout, with no "white" center. Works like a charm!

Back