Soleil Royal- Re-engineering Artesania Latina's New Kit by NMBROOK

Thinking about the splicing of these two colors got me to thinking about preventative measures. Because you are left with such long pointy ends, I was thinking that it might be a good idea to flood the waterline join with thin CA after all planks were laid, and before sanding.

Thanks Marc, I'm one step ahead ROTF After each splice is completed, I run a fine bead of medium CA along the join.There are many fine tapers on the bow as below that I did this morning.

IMG_0772.jpg

Regarding the thin plank under the wale.This was fitted full width (5mm) in 150mm long sections.Each section was trimmed one at a time as they were fitted using a straight edge aligned to my pencil marks and sharp scalpel.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Simply incredible - I can’t wait to see the hull fully planked. Take your time, of course, but it is exciting to think of the thing sanded and oiled.

Thanks Marc, this is a long slog and I will continue whilst I am in the mood. I have to have my "planking head" on to do this tedious job. It will take a long time due to the fact I am making card templates for every plank in the bow area albeit that one template suits both sides of the hull.

Thanks Marc, this is a long slog and I will continue whilst I am in the mood. I have to have my "planking head" on to do this tedious job. It will take a long time due to the fact I am making card templates for every plank in the bow area albeit that one template suits both sides of the hull.
Have you ever tried painter's tape for the pattern? On my esping I liked using it because I could lay it in short segments rather than trying to get the full cardstock pattern to be perfect.

Ooh. That was fun. Sort of like making suggestions to Rembrandt on how to mix his paints... ROTF

Have you ever tried painter's tape for the pattern? On my esping I liked using it because I could lay it in short segments rather than trying to get the full cardstock pattern to be perfect.

Ooh. That was fun. Sort of like making suggestions to Rembrandt on how to mix his paints... ROTF

Hi Paul, yes I have in the past but it won't work too well due to the severe conical shape at the bow.The thin card I am using behaves exactly the sane as the veneer, if I am slightly out with the twist, then the developed shape is wrong. This has got to be the most extreme shaped bow I have ever planked

Hi Paul, yes I have in the past but it won't work too well due to the severe conical shape at the bow.The thin card I am using behaves exactly the sane as the veneer, if I am slightly out with the twist, then the developed shape is wrong. This has got to be the most extreme shaped bow I have ever planked
Understood. I used cardstock (and paper) on the Vasa as well. Never tried tape until the esping...

Splicing the waterline... that is just SICK! Redface

Blame Marc, AKA Hubac's Historian, he put me up toROTF He laid the gaunlet by suggesting I used coloured veneer for the lower hull. Many thanks to Marc though, much prefer the look to paint, even if it has added another six months to the buildROTF

Blame Marc, AKA Hubac's Historian, he put me up toROTF He laid the gaunlet by suggesting I used coloured veneer for the lower hull. Many thanks to Marc though, much prefer the look to paint, even if it has added another six months to the buildROTF
Yup. Marc's clock is broken as evidenced by the longevity of his build... ROTF

Work continues at a steady pace, all the black planking is fitted so I can concentrate on the white. I need to point out the "weathered" look of the white is purely by accident and a result of all my processes ROTF The port side is more prevelant,the starboard side has yet to have one more step to match the port. I think it is going to look more realistic than any paint weathering I could have applied.

Kind Regards

Nigel

IMG_0775.jpgIMG_0776.jpgIMG_0773.jpgIMG_0774.jpg

The colors are wonderfully authentic, and the quality of the build speaks for itself. I continue to follow along with much anticipation.

I like it when you paint wood you can still see the actual texture of the grain, it makes it more vibrant. I assume you used a stain or glaze.

Tobias, no finish has been applied, everything is just the colours of the veneer. The weathered white is purely a combination of black sanding dust and lots of thin Cyano.The white timber is soft but impregnated with CA it is now like concrete ;)

Thanks Guys!

Well I said my main focus of the holiday period was to sort the "ends" of the model out. I have done sufficient planking now to turn my attention to the stem. Main reason is that it is extremely fragile but not so when built up.My pics illustrate this as the inner part has snapped off for the second time,I have already fixed it once so will not be repairing it until I need to:rolleyes:

First job is the Hawse port liners, these are made from 7mm O/D brass tube. Lengths were beveled to suit the inside shape of the bow then blackened. The holes were filled out to nearly the right size and then final sizing was done by twisting a length of the brass tube in the holes with fine teeth filed on the end. Tis was slow work and the teeth needed retouching with the file now and again.This gave the liners a near perfect fit in the holes.

The liner was inserted in the hole and bonded using thin CA which wicked all the way inside making a solid bond.The tube was then sawn off then filed and sanded by hand. If I use power tools the brass would have got too hot and destroyed the bond.The cut edge will be blackened when I have them all fitted.

Kind Regards

Nigel

IMG_0777.jpgIMG_0778.jpgIMG_0779.jpgIMG_0780.jpgIMG_0781.jpgIMG_0782.jpg

Back