USS BONHOMME RICHARD - POF - Cross Section in Pear - 1:48 - by Uwe

Looking very good Uwe, did you use the pre cut parts for the bottom of the shot locker, I didn't realise what they were for until after I had planked it,

Best regards John,
Thanks for the hint. Can you show which part you mean? Please

They are parts that came with the upgrade,

5.jpg
the parts between the X,s at the bottom of the shot locker two of the part No,s are 19c2 and 19d2, see last pic,

IMG20200126233326.jpg
this is the part 19d2,

IMG20200126233800.jpg
this is the piece of wood that they came out of, you might be able to find them, unless like me you are too late,
it would have helped to be able to speak Chinese,

best regards John,

They are parts that came with the upgrade,

View attachment 130198
the parts between the X,s at the bottom of the shot locker two of the part No,s are 19c2 and 19d2, see last pic,

View attachment 130199
this is the part 19d2,

View attachment 130200
this is the piece of wood that they came out of, you might be able to find them, unless like me you are too late,
it would have helped to be able to speak Chinese,

best regards John,

I missed it too//Larsa

Many Thanks to John giving the hint to these parts - these wall elements will be the next, so your comment was just in the right time :cool:
Also Many thanks for all your friendly comments and also Likes - it is much appreciated and motivates

In the last days I had not so much free time in my workshop - but next week, will be my modeling week.
My family is going for one week skiing - so I have to take care about our animals (small "zoo" ;) with birds, turtles, cat and dog)
and also to take care of the workshop :cool::cool::cool:

In the meantime I was only able to prepare the next element. Construction was done in the same way like described before
IMG_5234.JPG

The first day of my "workshop-holiday" is partly behind me....... ;)
I am missing my family very much, but the scroll saw was able to reduce my pain Beer

You can not believe, but the little progress you see in the photos were several hours of "pain-reduction-therapy"
And I realized, that I should have been born as an octopus - two hands are definitely too less for ship modeling.
Dryfit of the wall elements together with the small beams passing inside the interior (still with laser char) and also the smaller beam-planks have to fit into the walls.
I know, that later on the plank will not pass through, it will lay only on top of the small "char-beam"
IMG_5314.JPG

IMG_5315.JPG

the gap at the bottom is only because the missing hands No 5 and 6 ;)
IMG_5316.JPG

Here you can see the small planks, which have to pass through the wall and end on top of the beam
IMG_5317.JPG

IMG_5319.JPG

The same situation from inside - one plank is laying on the beam - for the other notches you can see already the drilled holes, prepared for the opening with some small chisels
Here you can also see, that I made in the veneer horizontal lines, which shall give the imagination of planks (only for the reason, that somebody will try to take a look inside via the small prepared openings -> pretty sure, that it will be not visible from outside later on, but I did it, so I know, that they are there - something for the modeler-ego I guess
IMG_5318.JPG

And here finally an overview of the first finished wall elements for the hold
IMG_5321.JPG

- In the meantime I started also the work on the nine pillars - but this I hope I can show tomorrow

Many Thanks for your interest .... to be continued .....

Hallo my friends, first of all many thanks for the wishes, comments and Likes I received......
My morning session is behind me, so I can show you some progress before I will go with the dog into the forest close to Vienna......

I started to prepare all the 9 pillars for the wall structure
IMG_5327.JPG

the following two photos showing the step-ladders which were the only possibility to step down into the shot locker and down to the pump-well - here later one also a ladder will be installed - the first for the pump-well
IMG_5328.JPG

and the shot locker
IMG_5329.JPG

the medium pillars are founded on top of the keel with some small timber - so I had to adjust the three smaller wall-elements, so it fits
IMG_5324.JPG

IMG_5325.JPG

IMG_5326.JPG

fixing the step-pillars
IMG_5330.JPG

The five wall elements more or less finished for installation (two pillars for the medium wall are still missing)
IMG_5371.JPG

IMG_5372.JPG

dryfit - you know: to be an octopus would be good
IMG_5366.JPG

the medium wall (between shot locker and pumps) is waiting outside
IMG_5367.JPG

IMG_5368.JPG

IMG_5369.JPG

IMG_5370.JPG

Many Thanks for your interest .... hope to show something more in the evening .....

Looking great Uwe.I have been very busy with work recently so I am a little late with my tips for working with Pear veneer.Here goes anyway for future reference.
Cut the veneer sheet when wet.Briefly immerse in water first.You should be able to cut planks on one of those roller paper guillotines when wet.
Do not glue the planks using PVA,the moisture in the glue will make them curl when you try to stick them,I use thick CA,just a line of glue on the backing piece in the centre of where the plank goes.These joints are not structural so you don't need loads of glue.
If you do use PVA,paint it on both surfaces and allow to dry.Then the planks are put in place one at a time and a domestic iron used to fuse the glue(turn the steam setting off).

Kind Regards

Nigel

Many thanks to Nigel for the hints and tips - but unfortunately too late - I learnt it by doing (using PVA water based wood glue - as usual) and will make it different next time (hope so)

Here is the result of the last days work - the wall elements of the hold are now fixed together (but not finally glued to the section, so I can remove it and can adjust the connection with the beams etc. outside of the section - this is the idea and I will see, if this is working.
As usual some more photos, so somebody else, who will build this model can see how it has to be done (or not)

IMG_5374.JPG

IMG_5376.JPG

IMG_5377.JPG

IMG_5378.JPG

IMG_5386.JPG

IMG_5384.JPG

IMG_5385.JPG

Many thanks for your interest ..... hope to show in the evening the next progress - after I come back from the hair dresser (for the dog) - she is looking like a rastaman better rastagirl - no photos of her, this would be off-topic

Today the glue was dry, so I could check the fit of the interior and the beam(s) together......

IMG_5387.JPG

I moved it backwards - frontwards - out and in, but......
IMG_5388.JPG

there is somewhere a half or complete mm too much - so I had to check from where this miss-match is coming and what / where I can adjust something
IMG_5389.JPG

If I take the magazin as fix -> than the framing with the beams will not fit correctly on the raider (and not square with rectangular angles any more)
IMG_5390.JPG

and if I take the beams as fixed -> than I have to adjust slightly the magazin, which is not really square - on one side 1mm too long side and a little bit distorted
IMG_5391.JPG

OK - I made today the decision, that the beams structure is more important, otherwise i will have also in the other decks some problems and started to adjsu very carefully the magazin structure

And also I realized, that close to the frames, the short beam has to be changed with the long one (on the photo the beam with char) -> this is the difference between the basic kit with the short one and the add-on with the long one -> I have really to study more the drawings !!!!!
IMG_5392.JPG

Now it is good to use water based wooden glue - a little bit water and after some minutes the glued joint can be re-opened, without any damage
IMG_5451.JPG

Here the prepared framing of the beams and the magazin in front
IMG_5452.JPG

IMG_5453.JPG

Hope to show you more tomorrow...... many thanks for your interest

GREAT and BEAUTIFUL work UWE, hate to give advice to such a master builder such as YOU, because i have been a a RE=DO expert in taking things apart my procedure works well on both PVA and CA what i do is using NAIL POLISH REMOVER it has bto be 100% acotone i swab the joints with a cotton swab and then take i9t apart using an exato blade sometimes you have to do it a couple of times can not rush comes apart and with no damage or discoloring. JUST MY WAY Don

Back