USS BONHOMME RICHARD - POF - Cross Section in Pear - 1:48 - by Uwe

Uwe,
Just discovered this build log - After needing to refill my morning coffee - spent lot of time going through your log; admiring your superb work, details, historical research; a joy to look at - indeed superlative. This kit is also beyond excellent.

PS: I then looked on eBay for the kit - there are several "upgrade" bits that are available such as the upper handrail. Are you thinking of also adding these extras to this project?

Cheers,

Uwe,
Just discovered this build log - After needing to refill my morning coffee - spent lot of time going through your log; admiring your superb work, details, historical research; a joy to look at - indeed superlative. This kit is also beyond excellent.

PS: I then looked on eBay for the kit - there are several "upgrade" bits that are available such as the upper handrail. Are you thinking of also adding these extras to this project?

Cheers,
Many Thanks for your kind words and your interest in my log. Much appreciated and encouraging !!!
In my package I order all the available upgrades, also the handrail in boxwood - during the construction I will decide finally, if I really want to fill the hold with all these barrels, but maybe some of them (I am afraid to cover the nice wooden structure)

Looks very good. The Biene Maya as well First Place Metal
Which Oil do you use here ? All parts has the same oil coating ?
One member here use a tape to pretect the wood from the paste. But i don´t know more who.
First the tape, than drill and the paste.
I found the post of @Péji showing the way to protect the planks before drilling

I will try this way the next time......

this is an awesome job. So much detail in it. This sets off an idea I have...tho its still brewing
Off course we are now getting curious about it ...... hope you share it once your idea is thought to the end......or you share it earlier and we can assist in "brewing" ;)

IN the meantime I started to prepare the next deck - everything is only dryfitted and will be installed finally when the other side of the store room is finished and fixed.

IMG_5675.JPG

the ladder is only here for decoration :cool: it is looking like a shipyard
The bracing around the mast area is prepared , but until now only laying on top of the beams - I have to make next the notches for the bracing
IMG_5676.JPG

If you take a close look, maybe you realized the first real mistake in the kit - the notches of the main "king" planks in the connections to the beams are prepared wrong, better three of four per plank are wrong, so I had to enlarge them, that they fit correctly to the length of the section (marked with the red arrow)
It is a principle error in the laser cutting of the beams.......
IMG_56771.jpg

Only for fun I prepared the mast and put it in his foreseen location
IMG_5678.JPG

Many Thanks for the interest ..... to be continued .....

Realy nice Uwe are you the yard supervisor?
Hallo Maarten,
I am still learning to understand these ships, so I am trained by the old guy, who is very familiar with french ships, a supervisor of the Jean Boudriot team
IMG_31581.jpg

Once a week he is coming and measure every detail ....... ;)

I started to prepare the next deck planking - I am once more trying to leave some areas open, in order to see the structure and also to get some light inside the section - I am not completely sure, but maybe this way
IMG_56831.jpg

also I made some notches to implement the stiffeners around the masthole
IMG_56861.jpg

and once more the supervisor was on the site to check the progress - he was not so happy, so I had to go for a drink with him.....
IMG_56881.jpg

But before I can think about fixing the deck planking I remembered, that I have also to install on this side the hanging knees
IMG_56891.jpg

IMG_56911.jpg

Maybe I have to install two more planks of the inner planking, that the knees are not "hanging" in the air - I will see
IMG_56901.jpg

Many Thanks for the interest and further comments - much appreciated ..... to be continued

Today I tried the method with a adhesive foil on top of the planks like discussed in post #218 and #220, but unfortunately it was not working with this tape / foil.
With drilling through the tape I was not able to produce a round hole in the tape - maybe I have to try a different product
IMG_5693.JPG

So I made it this time similar like before - drilling holes with a hand drill
IMG_5694.JPG

filling with the woode-paste
IMG_5695.JPG

after sanding the surface
IMG_5696.JPG

and finally installed
IMG_5698.JPG

IMG_5699.JPG

IMG_5701.JPG

in the last days I prepared also the other store-room walls, so I dry-fitted them on top of the deck-planking
IMG_5702.JPG

IMG_5703.JPG

IMG_5705.JPG

IMG_5706.JPG

Many Thanks for your interest ..... to be continued ......

Many Thanks for all your kind comments and also likes - It is highly appreciated and a motivation for the work on the section and the regular progress reports

Yesterday evening I was able to make the small hatch cover for the hold - I am still not sure, how I will present it at the end, means completely open or closed or partly open (with removing some "planks" with cutting the cover in parts..... I will see

IMG_5707.JPG

IMG_5708.JPG

Some small progress with making the treenails in the additional planking around the hatch and the other side of the magazin
IMG_5712.JPG

IMG_5710.JPG

IMG_5711.JPG

and some overview (forgot to show some days ago) of the elements of the second store room - once more the "windows" are movable
IMG_5713.JPG

Many thanks for the friendly comments and likes - Great and many Thanks

Yesterday evening I had to repair a mistake I did some days ago...... so not really a progress, but nevertheless I want to clarify and also to correct my words I made in post #226 in this topic

If you take a close look, maybe you realized the first real mistake in the kit - the notches of the main "king" planks in the connections to the beams are prepared wrong, better three of four per plank are wrong, so I had to enlarge them, that they fit correctly to the length of the section (marked with the red arrow)
It is a principle error in the laser cutting of the beams.......
View attachment 136902

There is NO mistake in the parts of the kit .
It was only an error by myself of misinterpretation and switched off brain.

So the prepared laser cut parts in the kit are fitting

I thought that theses notches have to fit into the notches of the deck-beams, but these small notches are for taking over the small 1mm thick beams.
It will get much more clear if you take a closer look at the following photos of yesterday evening

So I had to make 12 beams from scratch with timber from stock and prepared the correct notches with a chisel (the other notches are looking much better, so sorry for the missing accuracy of the shown notches) - maybe I should use my mill for such work.....

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

Last edited:
Back