USS BONHOMME RICHARD - POF - Cross Section in Pear - 1:48 - by Uwe

Many Thanks for all your positive comments and also the likes

Might I ask as a novice why the partial walls on the store room? those with staggered lengths on side? What was reason to have full wall on one end and not the other.
On the real ship the walls were off course complete.
I am using this way, and also often by other modelers, in order to show the internal structure or the details behind the walls.
Without this openings, the pumps would be not visible - It is much more work, but I think it is worth....

Working on the pumps
54e.jpg

As I mentioned the kit pumps did not fit well, so I had to make them scratch - This part of the pumps is visible only limited,so I think the shown way and result is acceptable
55d.jpg

55c.jpg

and compared with the Boudriot drawing
55a.jpg

Many Thanks for your interest

Uwe,
Just catching up - brilliant build. Also your idea for making deck treenails is so excellent. I downloaded, and filed some of your images will try that for my next big project. Amazingingly well researched and executed work Thumbs-UpThumbs-UpA pleasure and a learning experience to follow along.

Regards,

Last edited:
The pumps are finished for the lower part, means hold and lower deck
First of all I prepared all four pumps in the full length, so that I had the correct form
55m.jpg

55l.jpg

Afterwards I made a cut directly under the first partner, so I can handle them much easier and can finalize the first gun deck - this view is only for explanation - the lower parts of the pumps are not fixed yet
55n.jpg

This is the view from the top into the pump room
55h.jpg

55k.jpg

and some views to show how they will be visible through the wall openings, also for additional explanation to @Kkonrath question
Might I ask as a novice why the partial walls on the store room? those with staggered lengths on side? What was reason to have full wall on one end and not the other.
55e.jpg

55f.jpg

55g.jpg

Many Thanks for your interest, comments and likes ......

Many Thanks to all for your comments and likes - highly appreciated....

Yesterday I oiled the pumps and fixed them into the pump-room and also fixed the partners (with brass-"bolts") for the mast - the mast by itself is still only dry fitted

60n.jpg

60f.jpg

With the partners on top, we can see now, that the pumps are not much visible any more - so once more some fast impressions
60m.jpg

60l.jpg

60k.jpg

60c.jpg

60d.jpg

was it worth the work - I do not know,........

in addition I finalized the waterway of this deck, which is in the kit prepared as a triangle strip (technical incorrect, due to the fact, that the waterway is part of the inner planking)
60h.jpg

60i.jpg

60j.jpg

Kit drawing - with waterway marked with red arrow
23aaa.jpg

Boudriot drawing - with waterway marked with green arrow
23abb.jpg

Attachments

• 60b.jpg
    60b.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 60e.jpg
    60e.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 25
Now it was time and possible to finalize the planking around the partners of this deck
61g.jpg

with mast and bitts are only dry-fitted to get the correct fit of the connection points, because the bitts are partly fixed to the sides of the deck beams
61h.jpg

61i.jpg

61j.jpg

after oiling the timber
61f.jpg

61d.jpg

now I can concentrate the works on the next level deck beams, kness etc. which will be my tasks for the next days
61b.jpg

61c.jpg

BTW: I wanted to show my working desk - usually a great mess, but I am used to such a chaos
61a.jpg

Many Thanks for your interest ...... to be continued

Well done, Uwe. Looks great.
I try to controll the chaos on my desk, but the chaos controls me ! I think its normal. Sometimes i clean my desk before i start to work. Its a good routine do to this every day, but.... maybe in next life.
My work area is only 3 X 4 feet and absolutely neat.:p

86D75FA9-78DE-4F1A-AE2E-6BA15642C260.jpeg

Jan

Now it was time and possible to finalize the planking around the partners of this deck
View attachment 145679

with mast and bitts are only dry-fitted to get the correct fit of the connection points, because the bitts are partly fixed to the sides of the deck beams
View attachment 145680

View attachment 145681

View attachment 145682

after oiling the timber
View attachment 145678

View attachment 145677

now I can concentrate the works on the next level deck beams, kness etc. which will be my tasks for the next days
View attachment 145675

View attachment 145676

BTW: I wanted to show my working desk - usually a great mess, but I am used to such a chaos
View attachment 145674

Many Thanks for your interest ...... to be continued
We are not working on a formula 1 engine, so we are excused for a messy workshop. You haven't seen mine.
Very nice work.

Many Thanks for your kind words and likes

To substantiate the answer related to the oils I am using....here are the products - but I am very open for information of other modelers which one they use and what are their experiences
Uwek,
What is the oil you use on your timbers?
Jan
61z.jpg

on the left side the swedish line oil (I am using for this section) and on the right chinese tung oil

During weekend I fixed the next level of beams and installed the prepared wooden knees

The knees already prepared with the bolts
50e.jpg

63a.jpg

63b.jpg

63h.jpg

a nice view through the gunport
63e.jpg

and I started also with the deck planking - first of all the main planks
63c.jpg

the "centerlines" of the beams are marked with pencil on the planks - for the preparation of the tree-nails
63l.jpg

each location of a treenail was than pierced with a needle
63k.jpg

63j.jpg

to be continued ...... many Thanks for your interest in my log

The next step treenailing (fake treenails like shown before) and the fixed installation of the main planks
64e.jpg

I decided to make the small notches for the carlings around the mast after the installation of the beams, so I was able to make them more accurate - using a small chisel
64a.jpg

64d.jpg

64b.jpg

Back