USS Constitution by Model Shipways 1:76 scale.

Your nets are looking very good - do you plan to "fill" them with hammocks?
i meanwhile finished the nets :) (needed some trimming, fine cutting).
Yes, I'm planning to fill them with Hammocks.... But, I never made them and are looking how to make them.... Advise more than welcome!

i meanwhile finished the nets :) (needed some trimming, fine cutting).
Yes, I'm planning to fill them with Hammocks.... But, I never made them and are looking how to make them.... Advise more than welcome!
I know one version made by @dafi but in scale 1:100 - he used on his Victory model some fimo

I know, that Daniel experimented with several solutions on different models

Yes, and then the MAIN mast does not fit in the proxxon... (diameter 7/16")...
So let's think out of the box and I hope the whole world doesn't laugh with my super luxurious woodturning lathe...solution.ROTF

View attachment 426890
I have done the same thing except with the hole for the end of the dowel drilled into a 2x4 that makes up the horizontal support for my worksurface.

The biggest issue is making sure you have a drill with a big enough chuck for the lower main and fore masts.

Gentlemen,

I hope you don't mind me posting pictures regularly. I would like to document the step-by-step assembly of the masts, in the hope that I can help someone with this later (assuming I don't make any mistakes, right?).
After all, I think that the drawings are rather sketchy, only giving a side view. Actually not enough to give someone the precise information to make the masts problem-free (my opinion). I did a lot of research (photos, research on other blogs, etc) before I understood how everything works...

To give an example: take the cheek.
Should this be glued directly to the mast or to the Chafing Fish? Well, I'm going to glue this directly to the mast (after flattening the mast) and I left the necessary space for the Cheek during the assembly of the Chafing Fish (see photos).

Comments always welcome....

Tony505.jpg

Tony506.jpg

Tony507.jpg

Tony509.jpg

Tony510.jpg

Tony508.jpg

Gentlemen,

I think I have found two important issues that (could) cause a lot of confusion.
1- The material list supplied with the kit shows the new dimensions of the mast diameters (Topmasts & Topgallant/Royal Masts) at the very back.
These differ from the dimensions on plan 6. Take, for example, the diameter of the Main Topmast: according to the new data the diameter should be 5/16", but the drawing only shows 1/4". This means guesswork for the dimensions of the different sections....
So be carefully!

2-On the instruction manual page 30 is shown the bottom of the Topmasts. This differs again from these shown on the drawings (6).
On the plans no such extended square is shown, although it should be done!
See below picture:
1708087378196.png

Tony512.jpg

Tony515.jpg

Tony514.jpg

After a week of sanding and filing and sometimes starting over, the process of making the masts is almost in sight :)
Please notice that the masts are not yet completely finished...I need to add the top shoulders....

first photo: SPANKER mast
2 : Main mast with Boarding pikes and Fairlead for truss line
3 : Main with Topmast and Royal/topgalant

Tony527.jpg

Tony520.jpg

Tony525.jpg

Tony528.jpg

Tony529.jpg

I bought the book "Old Ironsides" by Karl Heinz Marquardt. To get clarity on all version of the Con.
Getting back to the Canopy frames: there were indeed companionways installed originally. So this is not something that has been added recently. So I decided to mount the supports for the life boat eg the 36' Pinnace.

And also the Channel and Chain plates are mounted and started to install the deadeyes....

View attachment 424016

View attachment 424017

View attachment 424019

View attachment 424020

View attachment 424021

View attachment 424022
What a beautiful build of a beautiful ship! You are doing a great job! Well done!

Bill

Masts look very nice. Very nice indeed.

I wish they had photography in 1812...

I'm working on my first ship and have the dowels in a corner for now. I just worked on a small, unrelated project, and had an interesting experience with dowels...to save money, instead of buying a 3 meter/yard dowel and cutting it down to two meters/yards, I bought two 1 meter dowels and put them together thinking it would be easy. Just dowel (ha!) them together and glue with PVA glue, that stuff's like welded steel wood on wood! But they wobbled loose just from handling. I made a scarf joint and glued that, thinking more surface area on the long grain would help. It wobbled and separated just from handling. I put two brads as pins, and that helped. But I'm thinking, are dowels pressure treated? What stopped magic PVA glue from being magic? I've had to break joints before, and broken the wood before the joint.

Back