YUANQING BLUENOSE - Peter Voogt [COMPLETED BUILD]

The fore gaff is ready:
1051 Gaff.jpg
All the bands made of 1.5mm/.06" wide brass strip.

With the unforgivable macros:
1052 Iron.jpg
At the top the iron which is different from the main gaff (see insert right) with the 5mm/.2" double disc block. (Sorry, the picture is not fully sharp ...... :()
At the bottom the 2 single disc 3mm/.12" blocks through which the two sheets of the topsail will soon run towards the bulwark.

At the end of the gaff:
1053 Bands.jpg
On the left the band with the double 'ears' at the top, also with 2 single disc 3mm/.12" blocks for the sheets where they run from the sail via these 2 blocks to the 2 blocks at the claw. The lower 'ear' with the hole is for the downhaul of the gaff.
With also the 2 bolted bands with the 5mm/.2" single disc blocks for the peak halliard. Here the blocks hang with an eye in bands, the upper ends are secured with 0.6mm/.02" bolts. This is also different from the main gaff (see insert).
The top corner of the foresail is secured through the hole in the back.
Regards, Peter

The metalwork with the bolts is tops Peter. Always something to delight the eyes in your work.
Thanks, Paul. But those bolts and nuts ........ before they fit .......... without going somewhere where you have to get down on your knees ...... :cool:
1054 Bolt.jpg
M0.6
And yes, it’s also depends on the size of your finger how small/big the bolt looks ……… ;)
Regards, peter

Last edited:
At minimums you're providing us with lots of inspiration on what could be done with the masts, gaffs, booms, standing and running rigging plus all the associated hardware.
Your build is pushing me to and sometimes over my limits, giving me a way better build than I ever thought possible. Thumbsup

At minimums you're providing us with lots of inspiration on what could be done with the masts, gaffs, booms, standing and running rigging plus all the associated hardware.
Your build is pushing me to and sometimes over my limits, giving me a way better build than I ever thought possible. Thumbsup
I'm glad I can serve as an inspiration with this build. And Johan, it's nice to see what you've already achieved with your BN. But I also enjoy the other build-logs.
Regards, Peter

The fore gaff is ready:
View attachment 352110
All the bands made of 1.5mm/.06" wide brass strip.

With the unforgivable macros:
View attachment 352111
At the top the iron which is different from the main gaff (see insert right) with the 5mm/.2" double disc block. (Sorry, the picture is not fully sharp ...... :()
At the bottom the 2 single disc 3mm/.12" blocks through which the two sheets of the topsail will soon run towards the bulwark.

At the end of the gaff:
View attachment 352112
On the left the band with the double 'ears' at the top, also with 2 single disc 3mm/.12" blocks for the sheets where they run from the sail via these 2 blocks to the 2 blocks at the claw. The lower 'ear' with the hole is for the downhaul of the gaff.
With also the 2 bolted bands with the 5mm/.2" single disc blocks for the peak halliard. Here the blocks hang with an eye in bands, the upper ends are secured with 0.6mm/.02" bolts. This is also different from the main gaff (see insert).
The top corner of the foresail is secured through the hole in the back.
Regards, Peter
Good morning Peter. Just caught up with your work on the top sails and fore gaff.....speechless my friend!!! Cheers Grant

Thanks, Paul. But those bolts and nuts ........ before they fit .......... without going somewhere where you have to get down on your knees ...... :cool:
View attachment 352141
M0.6
And yes, it’s also depends on the size of your finger how small/big they look ……… ;)
Regards, peter
You have really very very big fingers - Jeti ? ;)

The fore boom also ready:
1055 Boom.jpg
Seen from behind, with the 4 band and 3 blocks. First the single disc block for the topping lift, then the double disc block for the sheet and the double disc block for the boom tackle.

In detail:
1056 Boom.jpg
The band for the sheet is again made of 2 half bands with a bracket through it with 2 M0.6 nuts on both sides above and below the 'ears'. In that bracket the 4mm/.16" double disc block for the sheet, which can pivot half way when the boom is put outboard.

The front boom dry-fit attached to the pivot point at the foremast:
1057 Boom.jpg
The tip of the back rests exactly on the boom crutch and the block for the sheet hangs nicely above the 'boom buffer'.
The boom tackle is also reeved under the boom. The front block with a hook in the eye.

The gaff hung above the boom:
1058 Boom-Gaff.jpg
To see if I had measured everything correctly. Mainly at the rear, that the gaff does not get in the way of the block for the topping lift.

With an extra image from above:
1059 Boom-Gaff.jpg
It's getting fuller there too.

I can now measure the foresail.
Regards, Peter

I had to put the mail sail together by glueing 3 tissue sheets. The fore sail also does not fit out of 1 layer:
1060 Fore.jpg

However, 2 months ago I went to a large hobby shop in 's-Hertogenbosch. And there I found 2 kinds of Japanese paper:
1061 Japans.jpg
Kashmir is of the same thickness and sensitivity as the single tissue layer. The Tengujo feels a bit smoother and just like paper.
But the main sail could easily come out.

From the template for the main sail I cut the template for the fore sail. That's the part on the right side:
1062 Japans.jpg
I will start with the Kashmir first. It is a bit more transparent than the tissue, but as a furled sail I don't think that will be a problem. Otherwise, a 2nd attempt will be the Tengujo.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
The fore boom also ready:
View attachment 352515
Seen from behind, with the 4 band and 3 blocks. First the single disc block for the topping lift, then the double disc block for the sheet and the double disc block for the boom tackle.

In detail:
View attachment 352516
The band for the sheet is again made of 2 half bands with a bracket through it with 2 M0.6 nuts on both sides above and below the 'ears'. In that bracket the 4mm/.16" double disc block for the sheet, which can pivot half way when the boom is put outboard.

The front boom dry-fit attached to the pivot point at the foremast:
View attachment 352517
The tip of the back rests exactly on the boom crutch and the block for the sheet hangs nicely above the 'boom buffer'.
The boom tackle is also reeved under the boom. The front block with a hook in the eye.

The gaff hung above the boom:
View attachment 352518
To see if I had measured everything correctly. Mainly at the rear, that the gaff does not get in the way of the block for the topping lift.

With an extra image from above:
View attachment 352519
It's getting fuller there too.

I can now measure the foresail.
Regards, Peter
Looks Great Peter! Sometimes I have to remember I am looking at a model, and not images of an actual ship! You have done an excellent job of representing the actual ship in every detail. ;)

Looks Great Peter! Sometimes I have to remember I am looking at a model, and not images of an actual ship! You have done an excellent job of representing the actual ship in every detail. ;)
Thanks, Dean.
The longer you take for the build, the more you can study, the more you see, the more you can detail and the longer it takes. That's a vicious circle....... :rolleyes:
But I now know (almost;)) my limits and have the planning for what to do for the rest of the build pretty well in my mind. ;)
Regards, Peter

Back