YUANQING BLUENOSE - Peter Voogt [COMPLETED BUILD]

I cannot even imagine attempting that level of detail at 1:72 scale. 1:36, here we come! :)
Thanks, Heinrich. But scale is ‘relative‘. In 1:36 you can double the details on the details …. ;). Look to the 1:24 Drifter of Stephan @Stevedownunder: even more details. So, it’s a ‘sliding scale’.:)
Regards, Peter

Thanks, Heinrich. But scale is ‘relative‘. In 1:36 you can double the details on the details …. ;). Look to the 1:24 Drifter of Stephan @Stevedownunder: even more details. So, it’s a ‘sliding scale’.:)
Regards, Peter
I know, but you weren't supposed to say that! ROTF At 1:36 scale I might just have a chance of executing the details in 1:72 scale - not add more! ROTF

The fore sail is also ready.
First attached to the 15 mast hoops on the mast itself:
1068 Fore Sail.jpg

Then with 23 small straps on the boom:
1069 Fore Sail.jpg
Stretched between front and back. Be sure that no parts of boom tackle are tied into those bands.

Then tied on the gaff and set up the mast and the gaff lifted with temporary lines:
1070 Fore Sail.jpg
INHO is not wrong at all. Now the mast off again to furl the sail.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Exemplary work again, Peter.
I especially enjoy the boom details. As to furling sails, personally I am off the opinion that a ship without or with furled sails is like a propellor aircraft without propellors, but... not my shipyard, not my decision. And also with sails furled this build is still appealing.

Exemplary work again, Peter.
I especially enjoy the boom details. As to furling sails, personally I am off the opinion that a ship without or with furled sails is like a propellor aircraft without propellors, but... not my shipyard, not my decision. And also with sails furled this build is still appealing.
Thanks, Johan.
Now that I look at it some more time, I'm starting to think about rigging this sail so definitively. As a kind of storm sail ……
Now let that also be described and shown in The Saga by Jenson:
1071 Fore Sail.jpg
Only he still signed the Main sail.
This sail doesn't obscure much view and this way I can show better what kind of material I used and how.
Then I still have to add some reef points.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Thanks, Johan.
Now that I look at it some more time, I'm starting to think about rigging this sail so definitively. As a kind of storm sail ……
This sail doesn't obscure much view and this way I can show better what kind of material I used and how.
Then I still have to add some reef band.
Regards, Peter
My two cents: that will definitely enhance your model! :D
Reef bands are fun... eh, not so much; they're at least as bad as ratlines. o_O

On the Dutch forum a member came with the idea to reef the sail with the first reef band. :oops:
That's a nice and challenging suggestion! It therefore comes at the bottom in terms of appearance in the direction of the reefed main sail, an applied reef and a real storm sail (little one). Then it also comes closer to the format that Jenson drew. :)
Regards, Peter

Very interesting permutations to consider, Peter. Whichever option you choose to go for, previous experience has shown that it will be spectacular.
Thanks, Heinrich. A new challenge and just adjust the plans. If it is within the possibilities, I am flexible and it gives the model more 'watching fun'.
Regards, Peter

Started reefing the sail on the 1st reef band. Some pictures in between to show the used method.
On the sail there are 12 reef lines on the 1st band.
Started at the mast side lowering the hoops. To be able to work on the underside of the boom, this was my solution:
1072 Reef.jpg
Hanging the boom with a wire to the lamp above my worktop. Because lying on the table was impossible to work.
Inserted a bit longer reef lines in the lower band, to be more comfortable when tying.
Started tying the first reef lines at the mast and working 'upwards' with always folding the sail slightly.
Also watch out at the boom tackle that the lines are not enclosed.

All reefing lines secured with an overhand knot.
This is the view on the starboard side:
1073 Reef.jpg
And on the port side:
1074 Reef.jpg
Still fine-tuning, of course, but that will come later.

This will be the size of the storm sail:
1075 Reef.jpg
Before I finally fix it, I now have to setup the throat halliard and the peak halliard. Then I can set the gaff in it's right position and see how the sail is standing.
Then neatly store the reefed piece of the sail and secure it permanently.

It is now clear to me that with this material, around this build scale, I can make any sail and any sail liner desired.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
While applying as many lines as possible to the still loose foremast, I noticed that the temporarily secured reefing lines became loose. That's why they are now permanently tied:
1076 Reef.jpg
Then I thought, I can do that in the way I used on the windmill to 'tie' the 3 'reef lines' (zwichtlijnen) of the sail to the fencing (hekwerk) of the wings (wieken):
1077 Reef.jpg
You pass the loop A at position B from left to right between the rope and the wood. Then pull the loop down by pulling A and C at the same time to the corner of the horizontal and vertical batten. The tension on the line holds the loop there.
If the line has to be loosened (quickly), you only have to pull at the end C and the 'knot'/loop will loosen automatically.
On my model, I threaded both ends between the sail and the loop around the sail and pulled down to the side of the boom. You tuck away loose longer ends so neatly.
PS: The knots of course fixed with a tip of diluted wood glue.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Such a
While applying as many lines as possible to the still loose foremast, I noticed that the temporarily secured reefing lines became loose. That's why they are now permanently tied:
View attachment 356518
Then I thought, I can do that in the way I used on the windmill to 'tie' the 3 'reef lines' (zwichtlijnen) of the sail to the fencing (hekwerk) of the wings (wieken):
View attachment 356519
You pass the loop A at position B from left to right between the rope and the wood. Then pull the loop down by pulling A and C at the same time to the corner of the horizontal and vertical batten. The tension on the line holds the loop there.
If the line has to be loosened (quickly), you only have to pull at the end C and the 'knot'/loop will loosen automatically.
On my model, I threaded both ends between the sail and the loop around the sail and pulled down to the side of the boom. You tuck away loose longer ends so neatly.
Regards, Peter
A very nice personal touch to the reef lines. Thumbsup

View attachment 356518
View attachment 356519
Regards, Peter
Outstanding Peter. Cheers JJ..

Back