YUANQING BLUENOSE - Peter Voogt [COMPLETED BUILD]

Because I could still easily reach it now, first the (Fisherman) Staysail Throat halliard applied:
1081 Fisherman.jpg
The line is attached to the side of the motor housing with a hook. The hauling part is set on the aft belaying pin on the mast foot. As described earlier, this sail is loosened and attached in its entirety. I had placed the top halliard at the main mast, also with a hook. Both lines are then crocheted in an eyelet on both top corners of the sail. The bottom 2 corner lines are loose and are attached to the sail when installed.

Then tensioned the 8 shrouds. With a bit of a relief, what I had devised for this mast has also succeeded:
1082 Shrouds.jpg
Al the 8 shrouds nicely on even tension and the foremast aligned in the sideways direction.
Before I started this I secured the foremast extra with the Jib Stay. It is mounted on a bracket on the top of the lower mast and runs to the front of the bowsprit.
The Jumbo Jib Stay and the Spring Stay are 0.45mm/.0017". The Jib Stay is 0.35mm/.0013".

Now I can finally fix the 8 shrouds:
1083 Shrouds.jpg
Where clothespins are once again helpful.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Admittedly, I'm using your build log more and more as mandatory reading than the original build instructions.
Very few stones are left unturned in your journey, plus the added details are a source of inspiration.
Thanks for this kind words, Johan. For me it’s more like a journey with often unexpected (but desired) outcomes. ;) I am glad and honored that it is now also a inspiration for others. And that I helped pushing your boundaries.:)
Regards, Peter

Because I could still easily reach it now, first the (Fisherman) Staysail Throat halliard applied:
View attachment 356913
The line is attached to the side of the motor housing with a hook. The hauling part is set on the aft belaying pin on the mast foot. As described earlier, this sail is loosened and attached in its entirety. I had placed the top halliard at the main mast, also with a hook. Both lines are then crocheted in an eyelet on both top corners of the sail. The bottom 2 corner lines are loose and are attached to the sail when installed.

Then tensioned the 8 shrouds. With a bit of a relief, what I had devised for this mast has also succeeded:
View attachment 356914
Al the 8 shrouds nicely on even tension and the foremast aligned in the sideways direction.
Before I started this I secured the foremast extra with the Jib Stay. It is mounted on a bracket on the top of the lower mast and runs to the front of the bowsprit.
The Jumbo Jib Stay and the Spring Stay are 0.45mm/.0017". The Jib Stay is 0.35mm/.0013".

Now I can finally fix the 8 shrouds:
View attachment 356915
Where clothespins are once again helpful.
Regards, Peter
Good morning Peter. First class!

All 8 shrouds finally fixed:
1084 Shrouds.jpg

Started with weaving the ratlines.
First put a line every 4 to keep the distance between the shrouds and they are not pulled each other. Also here only between the first 3 shrouds.
1085 RatLines.jpg
Of course with the much discussed knots lately. In the middle with a clove hitch. At the ends with a 'Cow Hitch'. Both lower parts mirrors to each other. In the climbing world we call that a Lark's Head.
Regards, Peter

Neat idea to place the lines apart like that. I think I’m actually catching on to this nautical stuff, but a “CowHitch”??
There they call it also:
"Girth Hitch, Lark's head, Lark's foot, Girth hitch, Ring hitch, Lanyard hitch, Bale Sling hitch, Baggage Tag Loop, Tag Knot, Deadeye hitch, Running eye".
So ........

Of course with the much discussed knots lately. In the middle with a clove hitch. At the ends with a 'Cow Hitch'. Both lower parts mirrors to each other. In the climbing world we call that a Lark's Head.
Ashley 546.jpg

Like I'd mentioned in the Dutch forum, I'm not sure if this is correct. See the log of @archjofo , he shows exactly how it was done to the later generation of ships. Dutch ships and older other ships only using the glove hitch on al shrouds.

View attachment 357328

Like I'd mentioned in the Dutch forum, I'm not sure if this is correct. See the log of @archjofo , he shows exactly how it was done to the later generation of ships. Dutch ships and older other ships only using the glove hitch on al shrouds.
Hi Stephan. I know the knots of Archjofo. I have mentioned it earlier, and have tried it and shown it. But for me not possible in 1:72. See —> My try <— Then I used 3 clove hitches. And now a up-date at the fore mast.
Here is my source —> “Cow Hitch” <— As a alternative, very neat and userful. And …… BL-AL-FI was pleased with the result. :)
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Back