YUANQING BLUENOSE - Peter Voogt [COMPLETED BUILD]

Just superb, Peter - and about the expedition - I have no doubt as to what model will be the star of the show!

Hi Peter,

I had some catching up to do but again amazing what you can do at this scale.
Thanks, Maarten. By inspiration from what I saw with other builders, or input from them, plans were adjusted a bit. Takes some time and energy, but gives satisfaction when it turns out as you had in mind.
Regards, Peter

Thanks, Stephan. As info for the others:
On September 30th there will be a National Exhibition from the Dutch Scale Shipbuilders (NVM). For models of ships from before 1940.
Regards, Peter
I wish I could see it in person, and shake your hand. :(
As with your Robert E. Lee build, you continue to impress me with your ingenuity and creative problem solving, often finding solutions that use materials and techniques never done before. And your research and dedication to authenticity at scale is admirable.
In conclusion, I am convinced any ship you build would be worthy of exhibition. You are gifted Peter, and I am fortunate to have befriended you and follow your work, and to even have the opportunity to contribute in a small way. Best wishes always.

Last edited:
I wish I could see it in person, and shake your hand. :(
As with your Robert E. Lee build, you continue to impress me with your ingenuity and creative problem solving, often finding solutions that use materials and techniques never done before. And your research and dedication to authenticity at scale is admirable.
In conclusion, I am convinced any ship you build would be worthy of exhibition. You are gifted Peter, and I am fortunate to have befriended you and follow your work, and to even have the opportunity to contribute in a small way. Best wishes always.
Thank you Dean, my respected friend from far over the ocean, for this generous post. Shaking hands and talking face to face about our mutual hobbies would be great. Who knows what lies ahead in the future....... ;)
Then I would also like to thank you again for what you have meant with your 3D design skills for, among other things, my BN. What you achieve with that is also admirable. With the gems that now adorn my BN.
I also enjoy watching your building skills with your methodical approach. With your last posted images of the NL, I estimate that carving will be a new big challenge for you. I look forward with pleasure to see the result. With your Lion beside you nodding in satisfaction at the results.:)
Regards, Peter

Some steps have been taken for the overall picture of the BN.
All stays installed towards both topmasts. That had to be done together because this is important for the alignment in the longitudinal direction:
1093 Stays.jpg
With the thickness of the lines used:
1: Jumbo Jib Stay, 0.45mm/.017".
2: Jib Stay, 0.35mm/.013", which absorbs the forces via the Spring Stay (5) of the Topping Lift (8).
3: Balloon Jib Stay, 0.25mm/.009", connected via the front topmast to the Pulback Stay (4).
4: Pulback Stay, 0.25mm/.009".
5: Spring Stay, 0.45mm/.017".
6: Main Topmast Stay, 0.25mm/.009", which is connected via the main topmast to the double Flying Backstays.
7: Flying Backstays, 0.6mm/.023".
8: Topping lift, 0.6mm/.023".

Both Flying Backstays are placed on the railing just behind the main mast when the ship starts to sail more from the wind and the main boom has to be turned overboard. (See yellow arrow)
They are also equipped with a somewhat thick line because they have to absorb the forces on the top mast under full sail. Especially if the Fisherman's Staysail is also used.

Both Flying Backstays are attached to an iron with a double hook. That iron is attached to an eye at the rear of the deck:
1094 BackStays.jpg
The stays are 0.6mm/.023" wire. A 3.5mm/.15" double and single sheave block with a 0.35mm/.013" wire running through them.

I had already applied the 6 lines for rigging the foremast topsail when making the sail. I was now able to fasten these to their belaying pins relatively quickly. Just a reminder with the previously posted drawing:
1042 Topsail.jpg
When the topsail is fed on the port side, the starboard sheet and tack pass over the Main Topmast Stay.
To starboard, then the port sheet and tack over the Spring Stay.
1095 Topsail.jpg
At the top, circle 1:
1a: the halliard passing through a block at the top of the topmast, then through an eye at the rear of the aft short spreader bar and then the center belaying pin at the shrouds to port. The topsail is also stowed on the port side.
1b: the clewline that runs directly down the halliard and is secured to the same pin.
On the side, circle 2:
2a: the port sheet passing through the port block at the far end of the gaff and then along the gaff to the block under the claw and then to 5th belay pin at the port shrouds.
2b: if the topsail has to be fed on the starboard side, the topsail is pulled over the Main Topmast Stay with the starboard sheet. It now runs first over the stay and then to the starboard block on the end of the gaff, then to the block under the claw and to the pin at the starboard shrouds.
At the bottom of circle 3:
3a: the port neck runs from the sail directly on the port side along the mast to a belaying pin at the mast foot.
3b: As with the starboard sheet, the starboard neck runs from the sail first over the Main Topmast Stay and then on the starboard side along the mast to the mast foot.

The stays between the two topmasts:
1096 Stays.jpg

It getting quite busy at the foremast:
1098 SideStays.jpg

Also made the side stays for the front top mast. These are implemented as a 'stringer':
1097 SideStays.jpg
Both ends together and secured with slings.

And secured on the outside between the middle shrouds:
1099 SideStays.jpg
Which immediately gives a nice picture of the lines of the BN.
Still some ropes to do on the fore mast .........
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
All stays installed towards both topmasts. That had to be done together because this is important for the alignment in the longitudinal direction:
View attachment 358315
2: Jib Stay, 0.35mm/.013", which absorbs the forces via the Spring Stay (5) of the Topping Lift (8).
3: Balloon Jib Stay, 0.25mm/.009", connected via the front topmast to the Pulback Stay (4).
5: SpringStay, 0.45mm/.017".
6: Main Topmast Stay, 0.25mm/.009", which is connected via the main topmast to the double Flying Backstays.

Both Flying Backstays are placed on the railing just behind the main mast when the ship starts to sail more from the wind and the main boom has to be turned overboard. (See yellow arrow)

Both Flying Backstays are attached to an iron with a double hook. That iron is attached to an eye at the rear of the deck:
View attachment 358316
The stays are 0.6mm/.023" wire. A 3.5mm/.15" double and single sheave block with a 0.35mm/.013" wire running through them.

I had already applied the 6 lines for rigging the foremast topsail when making the sail. I was now able to fasten these to their belaying pins relatively quickly. Just a reminder with the previously posted drawing:
View attachment 358322
When the topsail is fed on the port side, the starboard sheet and tack pass over the Main Topmast Stay.
View attachment 358317
At the top, circle 1:
1a: the halliard passing through a block at the top of the topmast, then through an eye at the rear of the aft short spreader bar and then the center belaying pin at the shrouds to port. The topsail is also stowed on the port side.
1b: the clewline that runs directly down the halliard and is secured to the same pin.
On the side, circle 2:
2a: the port sheet passing through the port block at the far end of the gaff and then along the gaff to the block under the claw and then to 5th belay pin at the port shrouds.
2b: if the topsail has to be fed on the starboard side, the topsail is pulled over the Main Topmast Stay with the starboard sheet. It now runs first over the stay and then to the starboard block on the end of the gaff, then to the block under the claw and to the pin at the starboard shrouds.
3a: the port neck runs from the sail directly on the port side along the mast to a belaying pin at the mast foot.
3b: As with the starboard sheet, the starboard neck runs from the sail first over the Main Topmast Stay and then on the starboard side along the mast to the mast foot.

View attachment 358318

View attachment 358320

Also made the side stays for the front top mast. These are implemented as a 'stringer':
View attachment 358319

View attachment 358321
Still some ropes to doen the fore mast .........
Regards, Peter
Outstanding Peter! This one goes to my bookmarks.

Outstanding Peter! This one goes to my bookmarks.
Thanks, Daniel. I had to figure out quite a bit before I understand exactly how all the lines should run. And mainly what their function was. Then you also understand why they run like that. Then it is a small effort to clarify that with some pictures. Otherwise, for the viewer it will just be a big mess of lines with ....... nice, it must be .......
Regards, Peter

It's at times like these, when even I am at a loss for words. What a great tutorial this whole build is - I was just thinking how much help your build log would be to anyone building the YQ Bluenose and looking for guidance. And the best is that it is not limited to one segment of the build but, literally includes every single little detail. With instructions like these, it is only the imagination of the aspirant builder which would limit him - such is the scope of your build! Momentous!

It's at times like these, when even I am at a loss for words. What a great tutorial this whole build is - I was just thinking how much help your build log would be to anyone building the YQ Bluenose and looking for guidance. And the best is that it is not limited to one segment of the build but, literally includes every single little detail. With instructions like these, it is only the imagination of the aspirant builder which would limit him - such is the scope of your build! Momentous!
What a very nice word, Heinrich. :) I am speechless for a moment .........
Regards, Peter

View attachment 358315
5: Spring Stay, 0.45mm/.017".

They are also equipped with a somewhat thick line because they have to absorb the forces on the top mast under full sail. Especially if the Fisherman's Staysail is also used.

View attachment 358316

View attachment 358322
View attachment 358317
At the top, circle 1:
On the side, circle 2:

View attachment 358318

View attachment 358320

View attachment 358319

View attachment 358321
Still some ropes to do on the fore mast .........
Regards, Peter
Having had the opportunity to see her in real life makes me realize pictures just don't do her justice, but still, these pictures clearly show this is an exceptional build. They also drive home the point that it is critical to research and plan ahead, when one steps away from the kit-supplied drawings and build instructions.
Meticulously planned and expertly executed. Thumbsup

Having had the opportunity to see her in real life makes me realize pictures just don't do her justice, but still, these pictures clearly show this is an exceptional build. They also drive home the point that it is critical to research and plan ahead, when one steps away from the kit-supplied drawings and build instructions.
I agree 100% Johan! This is a YQ on steroids! :p
One would be hard pressed to follow this even with step by step instructions! ;)

I agree 100% Johan! This is a YQ on steroids! :p
One would be hard pressed to follow this even with step by step instructions! ;)
True story!
You're a nice bunch of conniving friends who know ‘how to screw up things’. ROTF In the most positive sense of this words. :)
Like Brother in Arms:
Thank you very much, Johan, Dean and Grant, it motivates for the rest of the build.
Regard, Peter

Back