YUANQING BLUENOSE - Peter Voogt [COMPLETED BUILD]

Nope - Dutch ships also used the eyesplice seized to the first and last shrouds.

View attachment 357332
View attachment 357333
De Zeven Provincien - Dik
Het VOC Retourschip - H.N. Kamer

Sorry, Peter for interrupting!
Never trust the modern writers. There is no proof on Dutch ships of eye splices on the ratlines in the 17th century. Dik speaks about "waarschijnlijk" probably. Models like the William Rex or the HZ, PW don't have them. Also on details drawings of that time they where not there. Only in a much later period they appear on paintings and models of Dutch ships.
The picture you shared doesn't show an eyesplice.

All 8 shrouds finally fixed:
View attachment 357304

Started with weaving the ratlines.
First put a line every 4 to keep the distance between the shrouds and they are not pulled each other. Also here only between the first 3 shrouds.
View attachment 357305
Of course with the much discussed knots lately. In the middle with a clove hitch. At the ends with a 'Cow Hitch'. Both lower parts mirrors to each other. In the climbing world we call that a Lark's Head.
Regards, Peter
All right, my new ratline begin and ending knot!

Never trust the modern writers. There is no proof on Dutch ships of eye splices on the ratlines in the 17th century. Dik speaks about "waarschijnlijk" probably. Models like the William Rex or the HZ, PW don't have them. Also on details drawings of that time they where not there. Only in a much later period they appear on paintings and models of Dutch ships.
The picture you shared doesn't show an eyesplice.
I think there is enough food for starting a thread somewhere about ratlines knots during all the centuries.
I am building a kind of modern schooner from Nova Scotia on a scale that has its limits.
Regards, Peter

First a complete picture before I show the details.
The ratlines are installed and the reefed fore sail is set:
1086 RatLines.jpg
I am satisfied with the appearance of the not entirely short cut end of the swept back line, which I have attached to the line itself with a tip of thinned wood line:
1087 RatLines.jpg
In this 1:72 scale it looks quite similar to the eye splices at both ends of the ratlines that are attached to the shrouds.
I have to put the shrouds back in position a bit to level out the ratlines. When securing the halliards of the sail with the tweezers, everything was pretty in the way.

The boom is lifted out of the Boom Crutch at the end with the boom topping lift. Tensioned at the bottom with the boom sheet:
1088 Boom.jpg
The fetching part of the sheet runs through an eye on the block to the belaying pin on the table at the foot of the mast.

The gaff was raised with the throat halliard and the peak halliard:
1089 Giek.jpg

They are both reeved in the same way as the main gaff. On one side the hauling part, which is secured via a block on the deck, is secured to the mast foot:
1090 Vallen.jpg
B is the fetching part of the peak halliard. With his tackle on the port side, just seen behind the motorhousing, with a hook block secured in a eye by the shrouds.
A is the tackle from the throat halliard. With the fetching part by the mast foot on the port side.

For the memory, the drawing from the peak halliard:
1013 Peak.jpg

Then I can now pull the lines of the topsail through the relevant blocks and secure it.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
The ratlines are installed and the fore sail is set:
View attachment 357620
I am satisfied with the appearance of the not entirely short cut end of the swept back line, which I have attached to the line itself with a tip of thinned wood line:
View attachment 357621
In this 1:72 scale it looks quite similar to the eye splices at both ends of the ratlines that are attached to the shrouds.
I have to put the shrouds back in position a bit to level out the ratlines. When securing the halliards of the sail with the tweezers, everything was pretty in the way.

The boom is lifted out of the Boom Crutch at the end with the boom topping lift. Tensioned at the bottom with the boom sheet:
View attachment 357622
The fetching part of the sheet runs through an eye on the block to the belaying pin on the table at the foot of the mast.

View attachment 357623

They are both reeved in the same way as the mainsail gaff. On one side the hauling part, which is secured via a block on the deck, is secured to the mast foot:
View attachment 357624
B is the fetching part of the peak halliard. With his tackle on the port side, just seen behind the motorhousing, with a hook block secured in a eye by the shrouds.
A is the tackle from the throat halliard. With the fetching part by the mast foot on the port side.

Then I can now pull the lines of the topsail through the relevant blocks and secure it.
regards, Peter
Most excellent Peter, you are a true inspiration, love it.
All the best JJ..

The ratlines are installed and the reefed fore sail is set:
View attachment 357620
View attachment 357621

View attachment 357622

View attachment 357623

They are both reeved in the same way as the main gaff. On one side the hauling part, which is secured via a block on the deck, is secured to the mast foot:
View attachment 357624

For the memory, the drawing from the peak halliard:
View attachment 357630

Regards, Peter
Hello Peter, What a great job you have did on your YQ- Bluenose., You must be real proud. Well Done.
Regards Lawrence

Hello Peter, What a great job you have did on your YQ- Bluenose., You must be real proud. Well Done.
Regards Lawrence
Thanks, Lawrence. Certainly proud, but above all also satisfied that I was able to set the sail in this way. The Japanese paper is fragile. The crew had to carry out 2 minor repairs. Also visible on 2 of the images. But that makes it a bit more realistic.;)
Regards, Peter

Getting close to the finish line now and yes, I know, it's not a race.
Again, the overall appearance is very convincing and she grew into an absolute eyecatcher.
This will be very hard to surpass.

Something what the most here don't know. This ship will be on display in the Maritime Museum in Amsterdam.
This is guaranteed to be the biggest attraction to go see.
And highly deserved :)First Place Metal
Thanks, Stephan. As info for the others:
On September 30th there will be a National Exhibition from the Dutch Scale Shipbuilders (NVM). For models of ships from before 1940.
Regards, Peter

Getting close to the finish line now and yes, I know, it's not a race.
Again, the overall appearance is very convincing and she grew into an absolute eyecatcher.
This will be very hard to surpass.
Thanks, Johan. Indeed … no race ….. at the end of the year …….. ;)
And about the surpass ….. That's what I thought after The Lee was ready…..
Regards, Peter

Back