YUANQING BLUENOSE - Peter Voogt [COMPLETED BUILD]

This leads you into treacherous waters, my friend. Before you know it, you'll be over your ears into customization of your build and there's no way out of it.
(Speaking from experience...) ROTF
Ha Johan! I guess the treacherous waters are what I fall into once I slide down this mountain of anticipation and pressurized expectations. ROTF

Last edited:
Oh boy, the Bluenose builders are already corrupting, you @Daniel20 Daniel. From personal experience - be wary of these Dutchmen. Before you know it, you are dreaming about saws, capacitors and LEDs, ovens, bunks and clocks against the wall. ROTF funny, no one has yet installed a head - or have I missed that? ROTF

I had to look a couple of times,though, before understanding how that knot works...
There were also question in the Dutch forum. I did not show how the start of the knot was going.
A little explanation:
1676128780868.png
Securing is done as follows:
"The rope is led at the front to the bottom left of the crossing (1), then from behind to the top right of it (2), then straight down in front of the fence batten (3) and finally behind the seam batten to go back to bottom left (1). The yield line is pulled taut (not string-tight!) and the loose end of it is doubled between the hemming bar and the fixed part that has just been pulled taut, so that a loop is created. One then only has to pull on the loose end to release the yield line again."
But the first part is not done on the boom. Just fixing both end of the lines.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Superb innovation, peter by taking your personal experience from a so-called "unrelated" frame of reference and incorporating that into a maritime context. This is just amazing innovation!
Thanks you very much, Heinrich. I got also some very nice input on the Dutch forum from a profession skipper. Then you start experimenting ......
Regards, Peter

As many lines as possible on the mast, the boom and the gaff:
1078 FrontMast.jpg
Threaded with the throast halliard and peak halliard.
Also attached the Jumbo Jibstay at the front and the Springstay at the rear.

Put the mast on the deck and first started laying the many lines to the sides. Then glued the mast with some glue in the passage on the deck:
1079 FrontMast.jpg
The mast in the longitudinal direction with both stays aligned and temporarily secured.
At first glance, the foresail looks neat (INHO;)), but still needs to be aligned and secured.
The next step is to fix the mast with the 8 shrouds.

Jumbo Jibstay is placed around the foremast with the Jumbo Jibstay Bridle:
1080 FrontMast.jpg
It is a piece of served line with an eye splice at both ends. The stay itself is connected to the bridle with its eye splice via a ring.

When further rigging the individual lines I will come up with more explanations and (detailed) photos.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Oh boy, the Bluenose builders are already corrupting, you @Daniel20 Daniel. From personal experience - be wary of these Dutchmen. Before you know it, you are dreaming about saws, capacitors and LEDs, ovens, bunks and clocks against the wall. ROTF funny, no one has yet installed a head - or have I missed that? ROTF
We Dutch trying to corrupt someone? That would never cross our minds. We're merely trying to expand our horizons, like Willem Barentsz did.
Installing a head? No, didn't consider that one either... yet.
Does banging your head against the wall count?

As many lines as possible on the mast, the boom and the gaff:
View attachment 356692
Threaded with the throast halliard and peak halliard.
Also attached the Jumbo Jibstay at the front and the Springstay at the rear.

Put the mast on the deck and first started laying the many lines to the side. Then glued the mast with some glue in the passage on the deck:
View attachment 356693
The mast in the longitudinal direction with both stays aligned and temporarily secured.
At first glance, the foresail looks neat (INHO;)), but still needs to be aligned and secured.
The next step is to fix the mast with the 8 shrouds.

Jumbo Jibstay is placed around the foremast with the Jumbo Jibstay Bridle:
View attachment 356694
It is a piece of served line with an eye splice at both ends. The stay itself is connected to the bridle with its eye splice via a ring.

When further rigging the individual lines I will come up with more explanations and (detailed) photos.
Regards, Peter
It's great to be able to rig out a mast almost100% prior to shroud line installation.

It's great to be able to rig out a mast almost100% prior to shroud line installation.
Thanks, Daniel.
This foremast approach is quite a bit of a gamble. But if you don't try? With the experience of the main mast, a lot of reasoning about the order of rigging and hanging over the drawings again and again and again, just done. Fingers crossed. ;)
Regards, Peter

Wow, just got caught up again. Fascinating what you are doing, I don’t have knowledge of all the nautical terms but I can fully appreciate your fine work.
Thanks, Jan.
Most of all of these English terms are also new to me. I look at the drawings to understand, what it is called and then try to understand the functionality together with the books.
It then becomes more puzzling how I can rhyme that with the Dutch terms when posting on the Dutch forum.
And luckily a photo (often) makes more clear than a fully written page.:)
Regards, Peter

Back