YUANQING BLUENOSE - Peter Voogt [COMPLETED BUILD]

My wife says I'm not permitted to do that anymore... ROTF.
That’s the profit of using one of my little boxes, just open for a while to allow the thought, write the reaction and close the box. End of story. But that is not my ‘Nothing Box’, oh no ……….. :)
I think I have already posted the link to "The Tale of Two Brains" from Mark Gungor before:
Yep, that's strictly for use by women only... ROTF
And that’s what Mark Gungor also told: ”By women everything is connected to everything.”;)
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Just catching up on your incredible work. I'm in constant awe as I follow your log. You also receive high praise from my Admiral.

Jan
Thanks for the compliments from you and your Admiral, Jan. Pass on my thanks to her, because the opinion of our Admirals is for the most of us inextricably linked to the quality of our models. When my Admiral’s reaction is ……..mwaaa :confused: …….. then for sure it’s time for a re-do.;)
Regards, Peter

The fore sail in different stages:
1063 ForeSail.jpg
-cut and the lines drawn with double stitching, at Frank's @Frank48 request :);
Sorry Pietro, for the sails that I know the seams of the felzi are 2, I see 1, is it from design? Thank you
-glued line with a strip to fold over as edge for the hem.

1064 ForeSail.jpg
- with the completed egde hems and loops on the corners;
-all the lines knotted for securing to the mast hoops and the boom. All knots are placed around the thread in the edgehems and have been given a tip of wood glue diluted with water to prevent tearing.
You can also apply reef bands & points and imitate a repair.:)

Next step is to tie the sail and before furling, I'll also take a picture of this sail, how it is rigged between the masts, boom and gaff.
Regards, Peter

The fore sail in different stages:
View attachment 353205
-cut and the lines drawn with double stitching, at Frank's @Frank48 request :);

-glued line with a strip to fold over as edge for the hem.

View attachment 353206
- with the completed egde hems and loops on the corners;
-all the lines knotted for securing to the mast hoops and the boom. All knots are placed around the thread in the edgehems and have been given a tip of wood glue diluted with water to prevent tearing.
You can also apply reef bands & points and imitate a repair.:)

Next step is to tie the sail and before furling, I'll also take a picture of this sail, how it is rigged between the masts, boom and gaff.
Regards, Peter
Carpenter, smith, rigger, rope maker, sail maker... You're a true Jack, eh, Peter of all trades.

This is nice and steady progress that you are showing, Peter. Lately I have been looking at various other models with the eye on a possible future build and I find it a real problem to like anything. Last night I told Hans that I have so much time and effort invested in the WB that it would almost feel to me like I am betraying the little ship if I build something else. You have spent just as much time researching Bluenose, so I was wondering if you have ever felt like this - or is it just me going senile?

This is nice and steady progress that you are showing, Peter. Lately I have been looking at various other models with the eye on a possible future build and I find it a real problem to like anything. Last night I told Hans that I have so much time and effort invested in the WB that it would almost feel to me like I am betraying the little ship if I build something else. You have spent just as much time researching Bluenose, so I was wondering if you have ever felt like this - or is it just me going senile?
I find myself in similar waters, but than focused on the Bluenose. While there are a multitude of shipmodels to choose from, I find myself hopelessly attracted to the Grand Bank fishing schooners. So, once I finish my POF Bluenose, I will first turn to a beautiful aircraft model, which then will be followed by a POF-model, but I don't have not the foggiest idea which one. Having said that; chances I'm going senile are pretty high, so... :cool:

Thank you for this post that gives insight into your current thoughts, Heinrich. I can find myself in that for the most part.
It is true that I spend ‘quite a bit of time’ on the item Bluenose. With the construction, looking at what passes here at the SoS, and with the research. And when the build is done, I will almost certainly follow with interest everything that comes along regarding the Bluenose. Then I will certainly continue to add to the BN list, where new builders can easily access the links to comparable kits. So yes, the Bluenose ’is wel een dingetje geworden’. It always plays a little bit in the background.
When completed the build, I hoop it will be: "I have made my contribution". (And hopefully not as Peter-knows-everything-better ;))
But I will certainly start something new again with fresh courage. Here and there I am already looking for information about the 'Vlaardingse Haring Logger' from around 1900.
That doesn't feel like 'betrayal' right away, because that logger is quite in the line of the schooner. ;) But with The Lee I was also 'pretty busy'. It now hangs on the wall and I walk past it every day and always look at it. And Paddle Steamers remain interesting to follow here on the SoS.
Regards, Peter

I find myself in similar waters, but than focused on the Bluenose. While there are a multitude of shipmodels to choose from, I find myself hopelessly attracted to the Grand Bank fishing schooners. So, once I finish my POF Bluenose, I will first turn to a beautiful aircraft model, which then will be followed by a POF-model, but I don't have not the foggiest idea which one. Having said that; chances I'm going senile are pretty high, so... :cool:
I can imagine something about this, Johan. But believe me, something really comes along to 'put your teeth back in'.
And staying creative keeps the mind healthy.
Regards, Peter

When fastening the sail and making an inventory of all lines on the foremast, I came across the dorie and fish tackles. Because they are also on the main mast and I can still reach them reasonably well, I installed them on the main mast as a 'in-between job'.

It is nice that all 3 my sources are identical on this point:
1065 Tackle.jpg
Each from a different perspective.

It was still a challenge to visualize these lines:
1066 Tackle.jpg
Therefore, in the middle picture they are slightly jacked up.
The Right picture with explanation:
-Block B is attached to a hanger attached to the outer eye of the long spreader. That hanger is attached to the front shroud with a lash.
-the tackle itself consists of 1 rope that runs via blocks A and B through the eye of the dorie hook DH and is attached to the eye on block A
-the fetching part 1 pulls via block A on the running part 2b and via the eye of the hook on 3b.
-the fetching block A pulls on the running part 2a via block B on 3a.
-the running part 3a-3b is therefore pulled together from 2 sides. But block B is fixed, so everything goes up!
-the fetching part 1 is attached to the sheer pole.
All blocks are 2.5mm/.10” single sheeve with 0.25mm/.010” rope. The hanger is 0.35mm/.014”.
The Fish hooks runs only via a block on the spreader.

With some more details:
1067 Tackle.jpg
D points to both Dorie hooks with the port side hooked to the rope loop of the top dorie.
F points to both Fish hooks that hook into an eye on the railing. Maybe I'll hook one by the fish hatches. Maybe making a fish crate?
I made the 4 hooks from the iron wire where I also made the brackets for the blocks.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Everytime looking to these pictures I have to realise me the exact size of this little ship. I seen it in real and that makes it somehow easy. But also that you need a magnifier to see the details in real. Chapeau!!

Everytime looking to these pictures I have to realise me the exact size of this little ship. I seen it in real and that makes it somehow easy. But also that you need a magnifier to see the details in real. Chapeau!!
Thanks, Stephan. Visiting the BN-II is on my wish-list …….
Using a magnifier by building, means using a magnifier by looking at the result, or zooming in on a picture. Size does matters …… ;)
Regards, Peter

Back